Game-Labs Forum

Question about system requirements and DRM

Vek74

Hello Game Lab and fellow users

My question is about the PC requirements and the issue with PayPal at the moment.

I your general FAQ you state

"

Q) What are Naval Action's System requirements?

A) Currently Naval Action does not have clearly determined system requirements, however a Direct X 11 Graphics card is necessary to run the game properly"

I have been watching Sidestraf's and Jingles videos and I would like to donate and pick up the Alpha.  However,  I do not purchase or run applications tied with DRM  Steam, Uplay, Origin"  

I have to guess my options with so little information so do I play now with no requirements until release, then application will be tied to a mandatory steam account?

Any clarification would be GREATLY APPRECIATED

Hello Admin,

Thank you for the prompt response, I understand the need to constant on connection, but is STEAM account/application  a requirement?

yes

steam provides a lot of useful tools from build and patch distribution to payment systems that we don't have resources to code ourselves.

Hello Admin,

Thank you for the prompt response, I understand the need to constant on connection, but is STEAM account/application  a requirement?

Why do you dislike steam? If you install it solely for naval action what would be the fear of it?

My rule since the early 90's for computers reads the following:

NEVER install an application that does something the computer should already do by itself.  9/10 times, the application you're installing tries to do things it shouldn't, isn't written with adequate skill and foresight, etc.

Steam tries to be always on, has an annoying interface, doesn't allow me to easily check for updates (it prompts for updates when it wants to), etc.  Further, many games seem to be migrating towards this idea that they have to have their own special unique launching environment (Origin, Arc, etc), meaning I have more and more extraneous resident applications running on my machine, taking up resources unless I manually kill them.  

A game should have a launcher, it should only run in memory when I'm actively playing that game, and it should bugger off when I exit until the next time I want to play.  A memory resident launcher just begs for a company's executives to decide that it should do other things, like track the applications I'm running, pop up ads, etc, simply because it can.  I'm not saying Steam does this (yet), but Arc pops up ads from time to time and it's really annoying.

I totally understand where Admin is coming from - for a small house that doesn't have the time/resources to write a launcher, provide a server for game/patch download, etc. it's the way to go, but applications such as Steam drive me nuts.  It's a tribute to Naval Action that I love it so much that I'll actually tolerate Steam on my computer at all.

• Like 2

"

Q) What are Naval Action's System requirements?

A) Currently Naval Action does not have clearly determined system requirements, however a Direct X 11 Graphics card is necessary to run the game properly"

You have to have a dx11 compatible card.  It will not work with dx10 or below at all.  You need to check the manufacture specs to be sure it is dx11 SM 5.0

Why do you dislike steam? If you install it solely for naval action what would be the fear of it?

When I was in High School and College, I disliked steam because of DRM.  No way to crack games that way.  That's the only reason why someone would have a problem with steam and DRM.  Now that I have my own money (and computer that I dont want to get infested with malware) I use steam because it is the easiest thing out there and they keep my games for me so I dont have to have cds.  They also update games for me.  Just buy the game and use it through steam.  It really is a convenience.  Just might be a little tough on the wallet because of all the advertisements of games :D

P.S. Steam isn't always on.  You can also go offline.

When I was in High School and College, I disliked steam because of DRM.  No way to crack games that way.  That's the only reason why someone would have a problem with steam and DRM.  Now that I have my own money (and computer that I dont want to get infested with malware) I use steam because it is the easiest thing out there and they keep my games for me so I dont have to have cds.  They also update games for me.  Just buy the game and use it through steam.  It really is a convenience.  Just might be a little tough on the wallet because of all the advertisements of games :D

P.S. Steam isn't always on.  You can also go offline.

Exactly, most DRM-free advocates advocate it because they want free games or easy torrent versions to pop up fast. The other half don't know what DRM is but assume its evil.

Exactly, most DRM-free advocates advocate it because they want free games or easy torrent versions to pop up fast. The other half don't know what DRM is but assume its evil.

Actually, a lot of DRM tends to break the game more for legitimate customers than people who crack it and remove the DRM anyway.

And Steam doesn't really have much in the way of DRM, if any at all.

• Like 1

Actually, a lot of DRM tends to break the game more for legitimate customers than people who crack it and remove the DRM anyway.

Correct. Unfortunately there seems to be certain companies that enforce DRM on their customers, and have had terrible launches resulting in DRM shutting down legitimate buyers from being able to even play the game they legally bought.

The heartbeat type DRM is the worst offender for this.

On the flipside, I actually love using Steam now. I can keep my library of games and just install when I want and remove when I don't want. And I don't have to worry about storing keys and such for years for items I have bought.

Just don't enjoy the games that require you to log into Steam and then log into their service also... I'm looking squarely at you Ubisoft...

In this situation, Steam is a win win for smaller developers.

They can focus on developing content and allow the built in Steam functions to manage patch distribution, payments, and even cheating prevention.

It happens quite rarely, except with ubisoft :P

IIRC, in the logs Naval Action asks steam for authentication.  That is why when Steam is messed up we can't log in to NA.  This is a type of DRM because you won't be able to play without steam.  This is good.  It stops the game from being cracked because steam will have to authenticate your key.

It happens quite rarely, except with ubisoft :P

Nowadays that's probably true. Starforce was notorious for it.

IIRC, in the logs Naval Action asks steam for authentication.  That is why when Steam is messed up we can't log in to NA.  This is a type of DRM because you won't be able to play without steam.  This is good.  It stops the game from being cracked because steam will have to authenticate your key.

And it's completely unobtrusive. Steam has been around for over a decade at this point (oh man I'm old), and it's safe and good and nice and pleasan

Silly Luddites.

The Steam-based nature of Naval Action was a major factor in me deciding to pre-order this game. I tend to distrust games I cannot have on Steam. They have none of the convenient features of steam, and you can get burned by scummy devs/publishers a lot worse than on Steam where such trickery on the end of devs/publishers will be pasted in uncensorable glory on their store page.

I see there's a lot of confusion as to what 'Steam DRM' actually is. Steam DRM is DRM done right. Once you purchase a game, it's yours forever. You can always download it and install it as long as you keep your steam account. Purchasing a game on disk is just purchasing a license to play the game. I remember the dark days of limited-use CD keys. Being able to install any game any number of times on any machine is wonderful; there's no extra hoops to jump through. 

The community features are completely unobstrusive and can be disabled at your leisure. I've never had reason to disable said features as they're so dang useful for everything from instant messaging to internet browsing while in-game. The Steam overlay is GabeN's gift to mankind: instant internet browsing all without actually leaving the game. And that's only the bare surface. Losing connection to Steam servers is nowhere near the atrocities inflicted upon you by companies like Ubisoft. Single player is still single player (unless of course that pesky third-party DRM raises its ugly head).

As long as you have an internet connection, stuttery or not, you will be able to connect to Steam the vast majority of the time. Exceptions, as always, are made for when servers are down for maintenance.

And speaking of said servers: Remember when Lizard Squad took down and crippled Xbox Live and PSN, the two largest used games networks, for days at a time? They tried to do the same to Steam. Sure they managed to 'take down' Steam. Only one server. For 16 minutes. Meanwhile the other 60+ servers were running just fine while this minor inconvenience took place. 

I will always choose Steam releases over any alternative, and I'm ecstatic the devs can and are using Steam to facilitate the game's development.

• Like 2

No Luddite here.  I've nothing but issues with steam with the few titles I've had to buy thru them, and when a help request was put in to try and play a game when I had time, they replied days later...

You can't do a damn thing when things go wrong, unlike when you have control over what you've bought.  Maybe that's the difference, I know what to do under the hood when I need to.

steam (small 's') is bloatware, full of crap features taking up space on my SSD that I never wanted, or will use.  It is for the mindless masses...  Soapbox complete, OoH...

I'm not a Steam hater but recently I was considering boycotting Steam(the whole removal of Hatred from Greenlight thing) & it was then I realized just how much of a monopoly Steam has on gaming. If I had boycotted Steam I would've severely limited my game library. Try playing a game without Steam. Sure, sure they are out there, but so many are on Steam that it's gaming suicide to not use Steam, at least for me it is. The actual program & it's features I like, but I don't like the monopoly Steam has. It would be great if NA was released with it's own launcher as well as a Steam release. I like it when game devs give me other options other than just Steam.

No Luddite here.  I've nothing but issues with steam with the few titles I've had to buy thru them, and when a help request was put in to try and play a game when I had time, they replied days later...

You can't do a damn thing when things go wrong, unlike when you have control over what you've bought.  Maybe that's the difference, I know what to do under the hood when I need to.

May you expound on your experience? Like, was this a technical issue with a game on the dev's end or some form of billing issue with Steam itself?