Game-Labs Forum

Modify the names over the ships ?

IRL you would never see SCL, Crankey or Illusive Tabby in red over an opponent and you would never see a name in green over a friend.

The latest "twist" in tactics is relying on these names to gang up on and knock out the "supposed" best players first.

Ramjbjb - instant target

Sidestrafe - instant target

Anyone on the leader board = big target

Etc, etc, etc.

Turn them off - turn them off - turn them off - or allow us to change them for one game (the ruse de guerre)??????

More realistic = more fun

------

Vote YES if you like the names over the ships as is.

Vote NO if you want them deleted or modified.

Filibuster added the poll - not me

Poll removed by mod team for being non-essential to the discussion.

• Like 11

IRL you would never see SCL, Crankey or Illusive Tabby in red over an opponent and you would never see a name in green over a friend.

The latest "twist" in tactics is relying on these names to gang up on and knock out the "supposed" best players first.

Ramjbjb - instant target

Sidestrafe - instant target

Anyone on the leader board = big target

Etc, etc, etc.

Turn them off - turn them off - turn them off - or allow us to change them for one game (the ruse de guerre)??????

More realistic = more fun

This game is all about the immersion factor for me. So, I will agree 100% with this post.

absolutely!  Good idea, that said-  I understand why they are in the game now (even I have fired on a friendly by accident, because they were driving the same ship as the guy that just shot me- and I didn't take the time to properly check)

I would advise to wait until ship customization comes out though, then there will be much more in the way a visual clues (besides the Ensign) to tell friend from foe.  For example: I'm pretty sure most people playing as the British will have their ships wearing the "Nelson Chequer", most playing as US will be black, with white gun strakes (that's how I plan to have mine)- and so on for the different nations...  because that's how we as players imagine the ships looking.  There will probably also be many people who paint their ships in "unconventional" ways...  I'm looking at you Pirates!  :)

I think that would make the in game "need" for having names above players a lot less.

IRL, many ships, especially larger ones, often had unique characteristics that (at least up close) would identify them to a certain extent to experienced and knowledgeable captains.  I agree with UltraVires that this should wait until we can customize ships and flags.  This way we'd have other, more realistic ways of identifying (in)famous captains and ships.

Edit:  This would also introduce a bit of a "false flag" concept into the PvP as well-known captains would need to modify their ships from what they usually sail with if they didn't want to be immediately recognized.

it is frustrating to be the target and there isn't much you can do.

Well, you could suck and not be the instant target. However, it too brings its own set of problems like... Oh, I dunno... You suck? I should know, I'm living the dream of the not instantly targeted. ;)

Would be great if the was a 3rd room. PvP lite, PvP, and PvP no tags... For the hearty sailors

• Like 1

I'M FAMOUS!...Er....

Anyways, yes, I agree. When I was in a game with Ramjb? Guess who I targeted first? When picking between a friend on the other team, like Amp, and Mr Random, I'm going to fire at my friend because if I've played with someone a few times and know they are decent to good or better, I want him out of action asap.

However, I still think that the team roster on Tab should remain who is in what ship and on friendly ships.

• Like 2

Removing the name tags might be a good idea, but I would suggest leaving SOMETHING that immediately identifies a ship as friendly or hostile. Complete removal of the tags will result in MANY blue-on-blue friendly fire situations, with retaliations and much wailing and gnashing of teeth both in game, and here in the Forum.

Perhaps a simple red bar above the enemies (maybe incorporating a type of health bar) would work. Yes, maybe it is a BIT "arcade-y", but the consequences of removing them totally will be worse. You will also have to alter the user interface that appears pre-battle that states what Captain is in what class of ship (as you might notice that player "A" is in the only Victory in the battle - but you might go for that Victory and concentrate your fire on her whoever is at the helm).

I like the fact that you can see the names of friendlies in that if you are part of a fleet or armada, you can see who is who, where your commander (flagship, Admiral) is. If he gives a signal to form up behind him, you might have Captains straining through their spyglasses trying to locate him, and subsequent confusion instead of IMMEDIATE response.

I do think removing the names is a good idea, but not the removal of a CLEAR indication of who is friendly or hostile (ie more than the national flags flying at the stern - it needs something clearer) or friendly fire and retaliation will result on a massive scale.

EDIT: Some more experienced players may think it is an easy thing to check before you fire, but one must remember there are a number of very inexperienced players, and we can expect many more. We must make it easy, or chaos will reign.

post-6995-0-88743700-1421388757.gif

One thing that I would like as a feature of customization, and perhaps not fully accurate to history, but those penants at the tops of our masts? If, when we have the ability to fly our own national flag for a ruse de gurre, we could also customize those to a degree. Would eventually lead to players being identified more by their penants than their names.

But again, friendly names, more than yes. Enemy names? Maybe more than a national flag, but I often check the flag first, especially when sailing a distance to an engagement that I was drawn/forced away from.

Can you edit the poll to clarify what I have to click if I want the names gone? Bit confused. Is it "the names over the ships no"?

Oh what we then need btw is at least editable ship names on the stern so there is some way to distiguish ships as long as their looks are not customizable (which they should only be in historical colours and stuff so we dont get pink or whatever).

In most games this is an option the player themselves decide to utilise or not. As long as there is a clear indicator identifying friend from foe and I am not solely talking about an ensign which could easily get shot away during a battle, then it could come down to player choice (Especially if they like recording their battles for future viewing). (I have sent a mail to admin team just yesterday on the subject of identification and colour blindness, I await a response)

Please take into consideration that at Trafalgar as an obvious example.

The order of battle and of both fleets was almost completely known before they were in range of each other and certainly no opportunity to read stern engraved lettering. Even ships of the same class were often not identical at all, Hull paintwork, rake of masts, colour of yards, figureheads, even if well known the colour/patchwork of sails. These were identifiable at range and so gave a name to your antagonists. In most cases they also knew who commanded those ships (On the whole), knew their reputations and their abilities.

How you may ask ?  Well promotion into a ship or of a transfer soon became public knowledge, either through recruiting posters or general chit chat around the naval facilities, seamen were infamous gossips. A round of drinks here, a few coins there, and local 'spies' a little grand term but nonetheless a word in the right ear a small exchange of funds and a tiny bit more info speeds away to London or Paris. 

So in essence I agree with the OP that it spoils the 'view' of the horizon to see those name tags over the beautifully designed ship models, but knowing the captain of a ship was very likely and we certainly need more than an ensign as an in game tool to distinguish friend from foe, let us not forget that we currently sail exact duplicates of our own ships, so once a pell mell is reached, the instances of friendly fire without  clear marker would sky rocket and almost become a last man standing situation.

• Like 1

Allies names should be visible. Often you need to give orders to a specific ship, therefore having no names whatsoever would make it very confusing. In case of enemy ships, having a red bar or no name is great, however the most I would like to have a small flag on top of one of the masts with your name.

Therefore if you are careful, you should be able to identify specific targets, however it would require you looking through spyglass on a small writing, which in the heat of the battle would be difficult.....

• Like 1

Some have suggested that they wish the names to be removed for more realism. In that case, we need the ability to customise our ships so that they can be recognised as belonging to any certain individual (at present, this is not an option in this game, and so should not be entertained until it is an option). This suggestion will not help the new players, as they will be unfamiliar with "player A's pennant". Others wish the names removed to make pretty movies of their exploits. Indeed, please do so (but be nice and share them please?)

I have already mentioned that new players will shoot first and look in their spyglass second, and that will result in much blue-on-blue friendly fire, with retaliations...so much so that the enemy could sit back and watch you kill your teammates and then claim the spoils.

Some have requested modifications for our friends that are colour blind. Also a good idea.

What I think the solution is to remove the enemy names (but leave some kind of red OR BLUE bar above them), and keep the friendly names, Make it a CHOICE so that the elite players and the realism seekers and budding filmmakers can remove them if they desire. But PLEASE make the the enemy bar and friendly names the DEFAULT. If you make it the default, new players may not know that they can be removed, or how to remove them. If they visit the forum they can learn the method, but can then remove them once they are experienced enough to NOT fire on friendlies.

The ability to remove them if desired or change the colour of the names if desired should be included in the final draft of this game.

My opinion only (and you know what they say about opinions...they are like err...a**holes...everyone has one, and they ALL stink).

post-6995-0-47427800-1421400337.gif

We should separate PvP Light from PvP here.

I think in PvP Light, tags are a must - both enemy and friendly. New players, often struggling to sail their ship, will get confused more easily than the old searats.

In PvP, I could see two options. Either remove them fully so you have to look at the flags (knowing some individuals that have not yet graced this forum, that's going to be a challenge) OR remove the enemy tags to prevent friendly fire but increase the amount of communication each team needs in order to friendly fire.

Once open world hits, it is my opinion that tags should go completely making it necessary to look at the flags and customization of the ship.

• Like 2