Game-Labs Forum

Randall

I was neither angry nor upset but if you take my kindess - yes i used words like please- and take it for a weakness and try to drown me in a see of words im going to Show you your flawed logic.

For example you just defended yourself with the same logic i used i dont think theres room for discussion when you try to tell other people what they SHOULD think even when you did it in a more diplomatic way in the end its the same.

We all have to respect each others opinions dont we?

Actually i thought youre an intelligent person but your last post was alot to read but said Little PLUS the main Point was tottally rubbish.

How can you tell me what the point of a Forum is or where the word comes from ( im from europe) when i said

Quote 'represent yourself im totally fine with that' or 'if youre representing yourself People can agree or disagree with you'

Now you said that i cant tell you what do to, which in itself is wrong because i asked you to stop i did not tell you to stop... LIKEWISE you did tell other people what they should think about something thats just as bossy.

I never talked about 'the lions in the backoffice' i was talking about customers. So basically it is okay when you say to x ( not a Quote) stop beeing a sheep but it is not okay for me to say that what you said is wrong and you should not say something like that.

why? because even if it were true that x is a sheep its is his choice to be one.

Where is your logic here?

Though i feel when somebody seems like he only wants to hear his opinion there is no need for a discussion.

Will i Change your opinion? probably not will you change mine? probably not. Private discussions are most usefull when both are open to see the thing in discussion in a new way.

Public discussions on the other hand are there to get the viewer on either side.

Since this is NOT a public discussion i dont feel the need to discuss since in the end we both would be still where we are now.

Im the last Person on earth that would be the guy that tries to silence somebody

What is a man when he cant truly speak out what he thinks?

You should understand what i say first.

You try to make the devil out of me here which is just sad.

Also Lord ashram did say it quite well randall 'the Moment you make a thread title with the rather over-the-top title like "fatal flaw" and " no historical accuracy" you handicap the ability to have a reasonable conversation.

Again there is no room for discussion. Also there is no Need too.

You responded alot of times with ' im a game designer myself' you answered Nick thomadis post with , imo, pretty arrogant things.

You dont want to listen... you may use a lot of words and make it sound nice but to me it Comes across pretty arrogant.

Im sorry i dont buy it.

It still seems to me that you opened  this thread to tell YOUR opinion and stay with it not to discuss something...Im okay with that but then dont come back at me type a huge post that could have been way shorter try to educate me about Roman history when im from europe and then act all mature. Actually since i felt a bit attacked by your post i ask you something provoking back... If you really have the holy grail of knowledge how come i have never heard of your games?

Why should i waste so much time 'discussing' something with you when you wont Change your opinion? you told us your opinion and thats that.

Oh i may add in that that freedom of speech is not only a american thing AGAIN! you come across VERY arrogant with that Statement an educated mature man like you SHOULD know better.... Im sure you know.

But i have to say you totally ignoring the things i said in my post and at the same time stating i tried to silence you made me laugh a bit.

Not so angry

FraGG

• Like 1

As a noob maybe I will offer some feedback that might be useful for the devs.

1. Scenario system is ok, it is fun to replay and works mostly, I think some intermediary text of graphics to explain what is going in transition would help

2. Problem is the end conditions of each scenario. On multiple occasion I managed to basically envelop Union troops completely, with broken morale and running with my artillery pouring fire into them from elevated ground and them having nowhere to run.. boom scenario ends and they teleport to a new location :( Perhaps this can be dealt with by recognizing situations were withdrawal is needed and having AI play to objective?

In general I think UGG is an awesome tactical game, if anything I think maybe Gettysburg is a bit too big for it? Why not just focus on multiple smaller battles with less troops and shorter time frames?

• Like 1

Randall

I was neither angry nor upset but if you take my kindess - yes i used words like please- and take it for a weakness and try to drown me in a see of words im going to Show you your flawed logic.

For example you just defended yourself with the same logic i used i dont think theres room for discussion when you try to tell other people what they SHOULD think even when you did it in a more diplomatic way in the end its the same.

We all have to respect each others opinions dont we?

Actually i thought youre an intelligent person but your last post was alot to read but said Little PLUS the main Point was tottally rubbish.

How can you tell me what the point of a Forum is or where the word comes from ( im from europe) when i said

Quote 'represent yourself im totally fine with that' or 'if youre representing yourself People can agree or disagree with you'

Now you said that i cant tell you what do to, which in itself is wrong because i asked you to stop i did not tell you to stop... LIKEWISE you did tell other people what they should think about something thats just as bossy.

I never talked about 'the lions in the backoffice' i was talking about customers. So basically it is okay when you say to x ( not a Quote) stop beeing a sheep but it is not okay for me to say that what you said is wrong and you should not say something like that.

why? because even if it were true that x is a sheep its is his choice to be one.

Where is your logic here?

Though i feel when somebody seems like he only wants to hear his opinion there is no need for a discussion.

Will i Change your opinion? probably not will you change mine? probably not. Private discussions are most usefull when both are open to see the thing in discussion in a new way.

Public discussions on the other hand are there to get the viewer on either side.

Since this is NOT a public discussion i dont feel the need to discuss since in the end we both would be still where we are now.

Im the last Person on earth that would be the guy that tries to silence somebody

What is a man when he cant truly speak out what he thinks?

You should understand what i say first.

You try to make the devil out of me here which is just sad.

Also Lord ashram did say it quite well randall 'the Moment you make a thread title with the rather over-the-top title like "fatal flaw" and " no historical accuracy" you handicap the ability to have a reasonable conversation.

Again there is no room for discussion. Also there is no Need too.

You responded alot of times with ' im a game designer myself' you answered Nick thomadis post with , imo, pretty arrogant things.

You dont want to listen... you may use a lot of words and make it sound nice but to me it Comes across pretty arrogant.

Im sorry i dont buy it.

It still seems to me that you opened  this thread to tell YOUR opinion and stay with it not to discuss something...Im okay with that but then dont come back at me type a huge post that could have been way shorter try to educate me about Roman history when im from europe and then act all mature. Actually since i felt a bit attacked by your post i ask you something provoking back... If you really have the holy grail of knowledge how come i have never heard of your games?

Why should i waste so much time 'discussing' something with you when you wont Change your opinion? you told us your opinion and thats that.

Oh i may add in that that freedom of speech is not only a american thing AGAIN! you come across VERY arrogant with that Statement an educated mature man like you SHOULD know better.... Im sure you know.

But i have to say you totally ignoring the things i said in my post and at the same time stating i tried to silence you made me laugh a bit.

Not so angry

FraGG

I confess, I had a bit of trouble understanding everything you said. Obviously, I did not understand everything you were saying. But, if I interpret you correctly, you are fine with the idea of people being free to express their ideas and if I say it, you are totally free to respond with what I have said whether you agree with me or not. I am very comfortable with that. I think it is imbalanced to act like I understand only part of your message and then ignore the rest of a reasoned argument.  I try not to do that. I tend to respond to the things that strike a chord with me on first reading. I am not sure that I agree with the idea that it is useful to tell someone to stop complaining. They usually complain because they care.

If someone becomes a pain (who, me?) the cure is to simply not read what he or she says. My problem is, when I get emotionally invested in something, I really get invested. I am invested in UGG and I see the full potential and from that, I sometimes go high and tight. It is kind of like a breakfast of ham and eggs: the chicken is involved, but the pig is REALLY invested! I am the gaming pig.

I am old school: I believe that ANY feedback, positive, negative or something in between, is useful and helpful, whether the person providing the feedback is yelling or whispering. It is really all good and can be fodder for improving the product. I also agree that is is a bit annoying to read points that have been made repeatedly time after time six months ago. I really have made an effort to read as many relevant posts as I could. Obviously, I may have missed a few here and there...

Being a former executive in a small niche game publisher, I know first-hand the importance of feeding and pampering the hardcore, loyal, followers who buy the products. Keeping them happy is not always easy (and you can never satisfy all of them and, occasionally, you don't satisfy any of them). But they deserve the respect of maintaining a dialog and engaging in debate, for which this forum is a great tool.

And I probably please even fewer yet. I am old and have experienced more than I care to think about. Sometimes that experience come bubbling up and I am compelled to testify. I try not to be pedantic, but sometimes I err. But my comments are fair game for anyone who can critique incisively and logically. I am still learning and I learn from anyone with valuable ideas. If you make a grand point, I am pleased to acknowledge that. If you say something silly, I usually can't resist jumping on that, too! So, I am here because I like UGG very much, I have ideas, and I wish to debate them. Questioning, challenging, probing, and debunking assertions and challenging assumptions is good for the mind of those so engaged and always produces a better product, IMHO.  Enjoy.

2. Problem is the end conditions of each scenario. On multiple occasion I managed to basically envelop Union troops completely, with broken morale and running with my artillery pouring fire into them from elevated ground and them having nowhere to run.. boom scenario ends and they teleport to a new location :( Perhaps this can be dealt with by recognizing situations were withdrawal is needed and having AI play to objective?

People have niggling complaints and the development boys seem to be able to patch many of them. The problem is a lack of a campaign game and the fact that there is poor scenario-to-scenario articulation. You need to play more for that to become obvious. Solutions are problematic since the scenarios have been deeply entwined in the game engine. I think we will have to live with that in UGG and look for the next major iteration of the game engine, which has some amazing AI capabilities that are still being perfected, in the next major release. Lots of potential there. I will be curious as to your impressions of the system after you have played it a bit more. Periodic updates of your perceptions would be interesting. (It is always interesting to see how easily we forget what our initial experiences were like after we have gotten experience in a game or technology. Microsoft is famous for writing their help files that invariably start at the SECOND thing we need to know and skip the first thing we need, thus rendering everything that follows irrelevant. "User Interface Analysis and Optimization" is a hot new field that a friend's husband is deeply engaged in. Its application to gaming and the gaming interface experience is unavoidable.)  Keep us informed as you gain experience and discover new nuances in the game. Should be interesting.

The engine has 2 sides: the tactical aspect (the battlefield itself) and the strategic aspect (what happens in the background to move to the next engagement).

The team is working on both sides but the 1st side is priority. Once the battle works reasonably close to a real ACW battle, then more focus can be given to the strategic aspects of the engine.

In the meanwhile, the team is focused in releasing the IOS version and that comes before anything else.

It's all about being a little more patient and all the problems about incoherence between one engagement and the next will be solved.

I have proposed a solution that would have all of us involved in addressing this problem, I'd like to know if any of you has different ideas or proposals.

• Like 1

It's all about being a little more patient and all the problems about incoherence between one engagement and the next will be solved.

I have proposed a solution that would have all of us involved in addressing this problem, I'd like to know if any of you has different ideas or proposals.

Actually, that is very good news. I heard comments and rumors to the effect that, given the incompressibility of solids and liquids, all of the "room" in the engine had been devoted to making a super sophisticated AI and compromises were made that removed the modularity of UGG scenario packages and induced other unanticipated distortions. I think as long as the hardcore customers are assured that, in time, a development path that includes the kind of historical accuracy that hardcore gamers expect and realistic scenarios that allow us to "do" the whole battle, they will wait for a considerable period of time. Remember, when done right, the features that will make the hardcore go wild will not distort the pleasure that the more casual "competitive" gamer can get from the game action. A good game can be both playable, competitive, and historically defensible. They are not mutually exclusive states.

Another reason to be satisfied with patience is the opportunity that it provides the hardcore gamers who become so intimately familiar with the system to influence the developers to always consider the long-ranged potential of perfecting a high-powered game engine as the stable foundation to which an historical game designer can work with a code developer to produce a series of games in the same genre (or historical time period) that build off a common, proven, dependable game engine. As a designer of games and instructional products, I have always been attracted to the concept of spiral development, which, in this case, means that all the work that went into the first iteration of a product is carried forward and then refined and perfected in the second iteration, and further refined and perfected in the third, etc. Theoretically, any incremental improvement in an earlier product release is still paying dividends in all subsequent products derived from the spiral development strategy. I always hated reinventing the wheel over and over.

I had the IOS version test all over me and I am quite satisfied with it. This means it's MONTHS I haven't played the PC version.

We've just begun the tests on the latest Beta and hopefully it can be released in a few days. That will put us closer to the tactical aspect satisfaction and then hopefully the IOS version is released and we can move on to the next steps for the PC version.

Naturally, everything is perfectible but nothing is ever perfect.