Game-Labs Forum

POTBS

Zacaras

I for one am sad to see the direction PotBS has gone, it was my first MMO and I love it.  We have a huge society and we really enjoy playing together, however, since Portalus took over the game the lack of presence from the developers is slowly killing it.  There is a severe lack of game moderation, the population is full of cross teamers and nation chat is not worth being a part of unless you plan on putting up being abused for some time, I for one, have had enough of it.  The developers constant drive to make a dollar means that nothing improves for the better and we often feel abandoned by them.  I have stuck with it for as long as humanly possible, it has come to a point where I don't even want to log in anymore.

We are encouraging every member of our society to check this site out, sign up and read the forums here, I forsee that our entire soc will leave PotBS and will come and enjoy Naval Action instead.  This game looks very promising and we are excited about its launch

• Like 1

Potbs could have made its way as a niche subscription PvP/RvR game. But fls never gave up on it being the next WoW, so they kept adding 'content' and trying to appeal to a player base that the game just didn't have. Everyone I knew that stayed on Potbs was there for:

1. The good community/ light hearted flaming ( area chat PvP anyone?)

2. The PvP- 6v6 was really well sorted

3. RvR- I reckon this was a problem, as to my mind RvR worked best with a smallish nations of (100s) active players. It was much more fun as Spain than Brits for instance. Being a Brit and winning meant grinding 100000 points to get into a pb and an influx of unskilled players everytime u won 2 pbs.

4. Serious Eco players.

A good community makes it own content, look at epic Roberts map autumn 2009 (I think), infinitely better than a few siege tooga runs, even though us Brits lost to the Dons, but that was Ubert's fault for not calling the dons as a contender for victory soon enough!

Hopefully naval action will pan out like that.

What finally put the last nail in potbs coffin for me was being perma forum banned for being Tem, which is annoying when ur not Tem. I think portalus decided that there was only one person in the world critical of them, so any post pointing out the flaws in their game was that man...

• Like 3

Potbs could have made its way as a niche subscription PvP/RvR game. But fls never gave up on it being the next WoW, so they kept adding 'content' and trying to appeal to a player base that the game just didn't have. Everyone I knew that stayed on Potbs was there for:

1. The good community/ light hearted flaming ( area chat PvP anyone?)

2. The PvP- 6v6 was really well sorted

3. RvR- I reckon this was a problem, as to my mind RvR worked best with a smallish nations of (100s) active players. It was much more fun as Spain than Brits for instance. Being a Brit and winning meant grinding 100000 points to get into a pb and an influx of unskilled players everytime u won 2 pbs.

4. Serious Eco players.

What finally put the last nail in potbs coffin for me was being perma forum banned for being Tem, which is annoying when ur not Tem. I think portalus decided that there was only one person in the world critical of them, so any post pointing out the flaws in their game was that man...

I find myself in the unfortunate position of having to agree with Joel (feels dirty). The PotBS community was by far and away the best I've ever come across in a game, the pvp was great and almost blanced for a while (apart from OP CTs, Buccs, FTs and NOs ofc).

A good community does make its own content, but that's not to say it should be relied upon to do so. Insofar as 'content' goes, FLS in it's last year, and Portalus after that seemed hell bent on making content that people just didnt need / want, for people that weren't there to appreciate it. While that in itself is no bad thing necessarily (more content is a good thing right?) it was done at the expense of other things that needed looking at a lot more urgently (RvR for example).

And yes, I think at the end almost all of ISY got forum perma-banned for being Tem. I tried making another account to send in a ticket explaining that I wasn't Tem, but that got instantly banned too so I gave up. That kind of conduct from people running a game was not exactly what was needed at the time.

Provided NA doesn't follow the same road (and looking at these forums, it's looking very promising that they won't) I have high hopes that this could bring back the PotBS golden age and then some!

• Like 1

I will say this to my POTBS alum. Although NA still a while out. I'm pretty confident it is going to be vary cool when it is complete. I'm going to be honest, I don't think it will be the same as potbs based of the vibe I get here on the NA forums though in many respects that are all good. It probably will be more based more on ship type, ship config and captaining skill and not on how good your build is. More based on realism less on fiction fantasy age of pirate style. I'm pretty sure it will be in its own league. But that's all speculation on my part. 

It is still early. I really like the staff on NA. They seem to have a really good grass roots system, and interact with future players.Hopefully they keep that going. 

I think its the coolest concept I have seen for a Age Sail Game in a long time. I'm exited yet patient to see who it turns out.

I've been mostly telling my society members that the initial NA will be a bit like World of Tanks (a title most gamers at least know of) :  A game focused on fights and engagements, without an open world. I tell them that it will be more realistic in its combat system, it's detail, and its sailing mechanics. 

Like I said, PotBS has a special place in my heart, but it has been neglected and is being run aground. But I love realism and the challenge it brings with it; If PotBS wasn't dying, I would probably still be coming here (though maybe with a bit less zeal)

But now, NA offers a sanctuary for the Captains of PotBS that (in one case) are literally drooling over this game.

Potbs will never be like before, i tried to come back few times, but the game is just empty and i get no more fun playing it.

All veterans started leaving the game when FLS did that damn patch (u all know from wich one i'm speaking), all ships got nerfed like hmc and ships like san fernando, adventure took place.

i took so much fun in this game, it was an addiction my best moments are with paaa for sure, with epic fights and co but not only, the community was good aswell, i met a lot of good ppls and improved my english so much. Anyway i think we can say RIP to Potbs  and it's so sad cause i passed so good moments, laughing, fighting, i keep it in heart for sure, and i hope to  stay in contact with friends i met (Eul, Largo, Ray, Joe, Lesha, Johny, Lich, Yas ).

Fair Wind,

Jay the man who loved Potbs.

POTBS was an amazing game, I dearly hope that the developers of NA will take the missteps and failures of POTBS to heart, but also take away from that experience all of the things POTBS did right. It is hands down the best age of sail game I have played.

Loose Cannons for ever!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to see so many PotBS players here from the old days.

I hope this game will be a good example of age of sail mmos. The screenshots I have seen so far looked like PotBS engine but with much better textures. So be the gameplay hopefully.

As long as potbs is running and naval action is not finnished i am happy to play potbs as long as there are ships to sink around. RvR has become a joke since Lenin started to sextuple-box with wendens to flip ports.

A little FE return is waiting for Dsl to show up and have some fun like old days (=

One example that set potbs apart and would love to see again is the player ran economy that potbs had. Advanced economy I dove into after playing a while, and I really enjoyed it. It was much slower paced then say Shipcom and AVCOM pvp. But it took allot of strategy, and was almost a passive form of pvp. It worked for me it made me pretty much self contained. So I hope to see a player ran economy in NA. 

I think because of potbs's economy system and conquest system, it almost gave the game a living breathing world feel to it. That is something they did right and really well.

Edited 

Hi all

Is anyone still playing PotBS apart from lenin and his puppys? Sad that so many good players gone since game under portalus is sinking ...RvR is joke, PvP is a gankfest and now i read about some funny accuracy changes...Ill give one more try after they put new patch on live servers, cant be bother with test bed...

Greetings to all my mates

Evil eye for enemies

Bart.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys

PotBS was declared dead by many ppl 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Many other MMORPGs that launched around the same time or even later are gone by now. Sure there where some major mistakes during last patches but also some good things and PotBS is still not pay2win. Didn't pay a dime since it went f2p and still don't see anything on ta worth spending real money on it.

PotBS may be a shadow of its former glory but its still the best age of sail-mmo out there.

that is not exactly true. Specially when i was playing frog i had no savaging supplies at all, and in most fights, specially dsl that spam savaging before admirals... people use them. We lost fights because i didnt have in my case, i dont know in the other cases, because savaging with NO was so op, also on privateer that couldnt repair structure easy. Anyways, even fitted for damage, i was not easy to sink :P . I was Mikel Laboa as frog but i guess everyone knows and knew it :lol: .

As long as potbs is running and naval action is not finnished i am happy to play potbs as long as there are ships to sink around. RvR has become a joke since Lenin started to sextuple-box with wendens to flip ports.

Lenin is the boss :D

Potbs will never be like before, i tried to come back few times, but the game is just empty and i get no more fun playing it.

All veterans started leaving the game when FLS did that damn patch (u all know from wich one i'm speaking), all ships got nerfed like hmc and ships like san fernando, adventure took place.

i took so much fun in this game, it was an addiction my best moments are with paaa for sure, with epic fights and co but not only, the community was good aswell, i met a lot of good ppls and improved my english so much. Anyway i think we can say RIP to Potbs  and it's so sad cause i passed so good moments, laughing, fighting, i keep it in heart for sure, and i hope to  stay in contact with friends i met (Eul, Largo, Ray, Joe, Lesha, Johny, Lich, Yas ).

Fair Wind,

Jay the man who loved Potbs.

that patch made me stop playign the game, i logged in sometimes after it but... not even having fun, just to spend some time... i said and i told them before that patch that was going to break the game, and PVP was the best part of the game, they completely destroyed with any sense in the decisions that they made. Not even an explanation.

I am glad to see you here guys. (btw i am the real Riva not a fake like someone is trolling me on potbs even when i havent installed the game in this computer :P)

Salvaging supplies are available without giving a single penny if you know what you are doing ;)

depends how much you farm it or have it, pvp was "expensive" specially for new people, but those things made pvp even more expensive. i had no problem in my case i normally won with pvp, but when you loose so much you need to farm for pvp so much...

One IP - one account. Thats it. Simples - cure for PotBS. Once again what the point doing RvR if your opponent log in on 5 accounts and nightflip port without single fight? What the point spending influence to take over important for nation economy ports when they will be bided by xteamers? What for go alone to red if in 90% you will be ganked? Plus sadly Portalusgames dont have manpower to fix that game...and listen their playerbase.My every single attempt to make own opinion of old forum was or deleted or my account was perma banned...Hope Game Labs dont copy this mistakes

Cheers

Bart

• Like 2

One IP - one account. Thats it.

Sorry to disappoint you, but it is a lot more complicated than that. IP-numbers change, all the time. Some people are behind load-balancing proxies, as a result, they may look from the outside that they have several IP-numbers at once. And then there are the providers who connect whole blocks of customers through a single outgoing IP number (which may change) possibly with a load balancing option which gives multiple users a shared set of multiple IP numbers. And then there is tech-savvy users who want to deliberately appear as two or more different IP numbers.

For anything security related, you may treat requests coming from the same IP as a hint that you may be communicating to the same point of origin.

Cheers,

Brigand

• Like 1

Sorry to disappoint you, but it is a lot more complicated than that. IP-numbers change, all the time. Some people are behind load-balancing proxies, as a result, they may look from the outside that they have several IP-numbers at once. And then there are the providers who connect whole blocks of customers through a single outgoing IP number (which may change) possibly with a load balancing option which gives multiple users a shared set of multiple IP numbers. And then there is tech-savvy users who want to deliberately appear as two or more different IP numbers.

For anything security related, you may treat requests coming from the same IP as a hint that you may be communicating to the same point of origin.

Cheers,

Brigand

There are lot`s of other ways to identidy you pc - unique hardware ID, MAC & so on

There are lot`s of other ways to identidy you pc - unique hardware ID, MAC & so on

There is, generally speaking, nothing that can uniquely identify a client, if the user has any control over the client machine or the software installed on it. In other words, the user has control over his/her PC so he will be able to spoof just about anything you can do to track him/her.

I don't think this is the place to discuss it in detail though (feel free to PM me). However, you can read an recent discussion on the effort needed to keep cheaters at bay at reddit.com; it gives an interesting insight in the anti-cheaters business, all explained in plain simple English.  If you want confirmation of my statement in general, I advice asking a question at security.stackexchange.com

~Brigand