Game-Labs Forum

HMS Duke of Kent (170 gun)

Illusive Tabby

So, I am opposed to 3rd to 1st rate ships of the line in game (as a focus early on). However, I do still love the stories of the greatest battles of the age of sail involving ships of the line, with the obvious Trafalgar being easily the most famous of them. However, while re-reading the wiki page on the Santisima Trinidad, I cam across a line mentioning the British plans for a 170 gun ship, the proposed "HMS Duke of Kent".

As of yet, I've onyl found this page on it, which fortunantly has a couple models of what it may of been.

http://www.historicalfirearms.info/post/73243971528/historical-trivia-hms-duke-of-kent-the-royal

Just an oddity that I thought may be a topic of discusion.

And no, I am not proposing she be implemented in game, at all.

• Like 4

It would be something, to see this bearing down on you on the horizon. But again, never built. Would it even be possible? Probably, I'm not qualified to say. But jesus, Santisima performs like a brick, how would this handle? Like a boulder?

Like three bricks bolted together ..... :P

no balance problem here there are reasons it wasnt build

to heavy and slow needed to be towed or convertet to steam(out of timeline)

and the work in the rigging where to much for Sailors without mechanical help again past time line.

there where other 4deckers with steam assistence that where declared of no use and with the Upcomeing steam frigates and Ironclads 

there where no need for these outdated wooden icebergs anymore specially with 60+guns Superfrigates wich had over all far better performance.

some in the admirality back then didnt wanted to let go of the 'old ways' wich is why they throwed all kind of experimental ships together

this progress ended with the widespread fielding of dreadnought class ships.

• Like 1

I had heard of this ship design but had never seen any images of the models thankyou very much :)

It would have been a behometh, but it would have also have been a white elephant. You could probably build 2 or even 3 standard sized 1st rates with the same materials and much quicker, taking that steps further you are probably talking 1 behometh or 10 USS Constitution sized vessels.

Also steam was very much emplaced on land and inevitably just 34 years later in 1843 HMS Rattler the first screw driven steam sloop of the Royal Navy, following examples created in the United States.

(A little like the Ratte of world of tanks mythology)

• 1 month later...

This ship existed only on paper. And can seriously ruin the balance of combat - as in this case Victory becomes a mid level ship

So there is no hope that this beast can be added to the game? It would be spectacular and enrich the game!

Edited by Captain Jack Aubrey

The boat, if true, must be a very bad navigation, it is very bad maneuver. It is therefore very difficult to integer has a fleet without penalizing all the other boats. So it is useless. As it is slow, it never fights because all other Boats can avoid it and refuse to fight with this giant.

Such a boat would have a lot of stablity problems. The rig reached the limit of height and center of gravity would be much too high!

Between 1700 and 1780, France did not have a lot of three decks for all these reasons, and no vessels had 170-gun ...

The ship would be as long as the class ocean, and I bet it would reach 13 knots of speed due to its length, and the ports of the guns would be at the same water level of victory (just look at the mamudieh and hms duke of wellington that was probably going to be heavier than the duke of kent), a project possible in the 19th century, and that certainly would add originality to the game, then if you do not want it you just do not use it.

• Like 1

, then if you do not want it you just do not use it.

And if i don't want to face it neither cause introducing this "fantasy paper ship" woudl ruin the game experience ? :huh::rolleyes:

Discussing about this ship concept is interesting.

But the Duke of Kent ingame ?

Makes me think about the paper panzer/planes in WT/ WOT where the balance is a huge joke cause of protos and blueprints machines of 1944 vs machines and other protos of the 40's end or 50's.

Edited by Dagann
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

This ship existed only on paper. And can seriously ruin the balance of combat - as in this case Victory becomes a mid level ship 

What you should do is have one(and only one) available for purchase every month. Dropped in a random port on the map.

No ones going to use it in combat, more of a display of power. B)