Game-Labs Forum

Ship models anyone?

Aracno

I'd like to know if other NA mates have some experience in ship models, and of course i would like to see their work.

Personally i did two models, a baltic ketch and a frigate by COREL model kit, i'm not totally happy with them, especially the shape of frigate's keel, but I think they are not bad for a beginner.

The frigate is not finished yet.

NIsVD1.jpg

xCPi74.jpg

fktoyY.jpg

bEI0LA.jpg

zK0BxY.jpg

• Like 16

Long time plastic scale modeler. Have three of the Revell Constitutions to do as three of the original six frigates. President, United States, and Constitution. Looking for the other three now... Looks like I'll have to go the wooden ship route for that...

I'm starting up in the wooden ship model arena now... Starting the college of model ship building offered by Lauck Street Shipyard now.

@ Diceman: I did a plastic ship model when i was a little kid, but they are not so good as they are for airplane, tank, etc etc

Wood models are expensive, both the kit and the already built models, the last very expensive when high quality.

If I will do another one i will go for plans only, after all are the only thing you really need, all the wood, cannons, rigging, etc etc can be bought at cheaper price in a good model kit-shop.

@ Allegra: Thanks mate.

Beautiful stuff guys.

I've wanted to get into this many times but just couldn't dedicate the time.    And probably don't have the skills.

I did build the large Revell USS Constitution plastic models.  http://www.amazon.com/Revell-1-96-USS-Constitution/dp/B0006I8PP8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421790332&sr=8-1&keywords=revell+uss+constitution

Built it twice.  First was destroyed in a move (I was about 14-15 when I built it... I'm 52 now,   So it's been a while).

Watching the Constitution sailing around (albeit sinking me) has be wonderful!!!

• Like 1

Nice work on the COREL kit.  Very good, Aracno.  And very nice admiralty model out of paper, Mirones.  I've never tried that.

I do ship models.  Takes a long time, but I very much enjoy it.  Here's one I have some pics of, the HMS Halifax.  

Really nice ship and model Tom.
I think i will paint the next one, i like the "wood only" appearance, but colored looks more realistic.
The Corel Unicorn is nice but is just a "generic ship of the era", there are too much inaccuracy to be called "historically correct".
Yesterday i did the hammocks stowage and also tried to make some hammocks (too big, isn't it?)

B5VKT1.jpg
  • Like 1

Really nice ship and model Tom.
I think i will paint the next one, i like the "wood only" appearance, but colored looks more realistic.
The Corel Unicorn is nice but is just a "generic ship of the era", there are too much inaccuracy to be called "historically correct".
Yesterday i did the hammocks stowage and also tried to make some hammocks (too big, isn't it?)

B5VKT1.jpg

How do you expect to target those guns if you can't look through the hammock netting???   ;)

Really beautiful... BTW.

I think the width is probably fine, if, as it appears, you have six on the larboard side, but they are too large overall.  I believe you should be able to stack them within the parameters of the netting (which looks quite to scale to my eye).  

Oh, and the guns are on the gun deck, so they would be targeted by looking through the gun ports.  

@ Megiddo: the hammock are less haight than the rudder (rudder should be, plus or minus, haight as a man), so the red clothes can shoot above the hammock stowage.

@Tom: I will try several size and material, actually is more like a double size hammock, there is space for a woman of easy virtue when the ship is in the port.
Not sure admiralty would have appreciated it ....

Nice work on the COREL kit.  Very good, Aracno.  And very nice admiralty model out of paper, Mirones.  I've never tried that.

I do ship models.  Takes a long time, but I very much enjoy it.  Here's one I have some pics of, the HMS Halifax.  

i never did that model i just found them on the same page wher you can buy our naval cutter the HMS alert

• 1 month later...