Game-Labs Forum

Friendly Fire

Just had a thought while perusing the tribunal, as it seems friendly fire griefing is becoming an issue.

If someone does 'x' amount of friendly damage in a match, their flag suddenly becomes a black flag, and they can be sunk by either team. Essentially they become and independent, no longer part of any team.

As for what 'x' should be, it ought to depend on the ship's damage capability, so a brig would have a lower threshold than a Victory. That's so if the Vic accidentally does it once, they're not immediately penalized, &c. I'd say x should be whatever the average damage 2-3 broadsides would normally cause. If someone shoots a friendly 3 times, they're doing it on purpose.

Sort of like how WoT turns TKers blue, but in this case, the damage to the filthy cur would count.

Also their damage earned should drop to 0.

Once the damage is done it doesn't really matter if they turn black as you can already shoot them, people might even do it just to be independent and 'special'. I think friendly fire should reflect back onto your ship for now, as a quick fix until something more solid can be made.

Sadly the damage turned to 0 won't deter the most dedicated people.

I don't think the devs are too worried about it in the current state of the game since we are testing. However, once the game is released they have mentioned that doing such things as friendly fire or attacking people you shouldn't, will result in negative reputation. If enough crime is committed you will stand trial (player trial similar to that in ArcheAge) and be punished accordingly. The worst offenses will result in pirate status and you will have limited port access and be KOS.

• Like 1

Great insight guys. Isn't friendly fire the predecessor to becoming a pirate in this game (or so they've talked about)? I think this can be handled with game mechanics but a couple broadsides of attacking a teammate should not reflect damage on your own ship that feels to artificial.

All players having a reputation among nations would be a good place to start.

-Cannonball

• 3 weeks later...

Got some things to said in this topic since today i was blamed for FF by game-labs in game:) I think he's react on chat, so not big deal. Some ppl takes his falling masts to close to heart.

First of all, there was situation when two allys ship, some snow or surprises (no matter for me actually what ships exactly, except theyr was small and yellow colored) was exactly after my target S, one just after her stern, second just above his bow. I wait for few seconds when ST will appears between of them as much as possible and had fire it. Some part of my cannonballs hit one of ally ships mast and it falls. Most of them hit ST, maybe some part hit even second ally ship mast i dunno. There was only one crazy scream in chat about it.

Second part is about i never take that cases like Friendly fire and i want to say why.

In this case I had 79% sails and was leeward on my ST, going pretty far after those two 1-st rates, who had 90+ % sails. So i was a bit slow. To make my shot with broken bow mini-mast i should turn my ship perpendicular to the wind, which means i loose speed and capability to reach target with my cannons (since wind works versus me and enemy ships sailing further). In this every lost second have price. Typing in chat, waiting or whatever means loss of time, which, possibly, could be critical. And situation like this is tipical things which goes permanent with many captains. As I get it today in other fight, even if you type in chat to that payer on his little ship, who block your fireline, it could be no any effect on them for some reasons. They still sails where they was.

So i want say that every SOL in this game have his own reasons why he must shoot in exactly THAT time. Its no matter for me will your surprise have 3 mast or 2 mast so long, as my first rate ship should do damage to enemy firs rate ship. Damage of ST is not comparable to snow, surprise damage or mast losing or even trincomalee. I do not shoot when my damage is unnecessary to do because of no matter, when im not sure that i will hit target, since no point in sacrifice thing which you sure harm over things which you not sure to obtain and when some big ships blocks me(in most cases).

I'm sure that in this game every SOL have right to shoot trough ally lowbie ship masts when her captain consider that his damage in theyr game situation worth more than someone's masts or even some part of hull. It is friendly fire on its form, because friendly ship takes some damage, but player intention itselft doesn't directed to harm ally ship. This is just about ratio between benefits and harm, when player should act with minimize damage to ally ship as much, ass possible, if he able to do that. So no offense and screaming, please.

Friendly fire was a part of this period of time and I don't get upset if someone hits me whilst engaging the enemy. Providing that they're not firing at you intentionally then I think that all is working well. I do like the concept of maturin's 20% of the broadside, rather painful when you are in a lineship :P

• Like 1