Game-Labs Forum

Were chasers permanently mounted?

Destraex

Generally speaking chasers were not dedicated guns but rather moved from the appropriate gundeck to the chase ports as required. Sometimes the guns involved would be special chase types (such as long 9s), but again these would be mounted in the broadside until required.

Not completely unheard of to have dedicated chasers though, if these were carried they would usually be a different caliber and type to the rest of that gundeck, for example HMS Shannon had a pair of 18lb carronades in the sternports, and Victory has swiveling 68lb carronades on her forecastle. 

• Like 1

Generally speaking chasers were not dedicated guns but rather moved from the appropriate gundeck to the chase ports as required. Sometimes the guns involved would be special chase types (such as long 9s), but again these would be mounted in the broadside until required.

Not completely unheard of to have dedicated chasers though, if these were carried they would usually be a different caliber and type to the rest of that gundeck, for example HMS Shannon had a pair of 18lb carronades in the sternports, and Victory has swiveling 68lb carronades on her forecastle. 

this is exactly what i wanted to know.

this is the impression u got. So in naval action permanent chasers or stern batteries should not be the rule. There should be a delay while the are moved.

Interesting one. Any more context available Destraex ?

the context was something like the cut down ship razeed as such could no longer fit the chasers propperly. But I was thinking that perhaps it just meant they mounted permanent ones by cause it was too hard to move them from the broadsides.

this is exactly what i wanted to know.

this is the impression u got. So in naval action permanent chasers or stern batteries should not be the rule. There should be a delay while the are moved.

While we have dedicated chasers in Sea Trials, I saw a post by Admin that said at some point crew skill would allow you to relocate cannon to the bow or stern to act as chasers when needed.  I don't know what effect this will have on our current chasers, but that was the post I saw.

• Like 1