Game-Labs Forum

More national flags in testing

French or British - British or French .......

What about some different national flags on our test fleets please.

Spain. Turkey. Russia. Sweden. Denmark. Dutch. America. Italy. and more.

Would be nice to see some new flags to wet our appetite during test battles.

• Like 6

Wouldn't hurt to have a skull and crossbones, either.

Show me a historical example. The classical skull n' crossbones is just a corruption of other pirate flags right?

But yeah I guess it would not hurt :(

I am just keen for this not to get too out of hand when it comes to historical. I would prefer real known pirate flags in and maybe for this game to make a difference education wise.

• Like 1

I just read up on the pirate flag or 'jolly roger. fascinating stuff. If we take the theme black flag, which many pirates then added various pictures of skulls, daggers, etc. The black flag for the most part warned the target ship they were pirates (not national or under letter of marque) and gave the target ship opportunity to give in without resistance whereby the crew would be unmolested, however several accounts that if the vessel resisted, a red flag was then raised which gave the message no mercy.

Show me a historical example. The classical skull n' crossbones is just a corruption of other pirate flags right?

I am just keen for this not to get too out of hand when it comes to historical. I would prefer real known pirate flags in and maybe for this game to make a difference education wise.

Well I'm sure someone did it, but sure we could just do a generic all-black or all-red flag.

Please don't do it! I mean do not add any kind of pirate flags just now. No more SOLs under pirate banner please. That's not potbs or Hollywood movie. At least I hope so..

I don't think there's going to be a way to stop that in the final game. Someone's going to have a Victory and want to be a pirate with it.

Incorrect.

1384158_860186400699815_4933409527022599

The S&CB was in fact what was considered THE original "Jolly Roger" .The Scull and Cross Swords however (not shown), flown by "Calico" Jack Rackham, is the other jack to be considered the original Jolly Roger.

Later, the term "Jolly Roger" would come to represent any Pirate jack. the less well known pirates would have leaned more toward using just the skull or S&CB, if anything, for their simplicity.

Here  and Here are a more in-depth source on the jacks.

• Like 1

For the 'Black Flag' pirate community I imagine it would be really cool for them to earn, or otherwise purchase, aspire to different versions of the black flag. Perhaps each level of 'infamy' they can choose to add a new black flag design. No effect to gameplay but a nice touch I think.

• Like 2

...however several accounts that if the vessel resisted, a red flag was then raised which gave the message no mercy.

A number of captains flew a red fielded jack right from the get-go (Christopher Moody is the first that comes to mind, and Henry Avery had both a red and black version of his flag) basically saying to any ship they came across "You're screwed no matter what". The reason for not giving quarter from the start could be a number of things, from lack of space for extra crew or prisoners, or that the crew was happy the way it was, or that some captains just didn't care to take extra crew or prisoners.

I would like to see a game mechanic though where flying either a red or black jack would affect performance in some way. Perhaps a pirate flying a red flag would have better boarding parameters? More deadly grape shot? A heavier morale bonus on pirate crew/heavy morale fall of enemy crew?

Henry Avery/Every's flags: 220px-Flag_of_Henry_Every_red.svg.png220px-Pirate_Flag_of_Henry_Every.svg.png

It would be awesome if we could design our own pirate jacks...

but I fear some numpty would screw it up for all of with us with a  bright pink Hello Kitty flag.

• Like 1

Hey, here's a thought! Looking at those pirate names, it just occurred to me that we just-so happen to have some of those pirates currently in-game as PVE enemies.

Wouldn't it be a neat touch if they flew their historic flags, or even a simple S&CB standard? So when we demolish the AI in PVE, we can pretend like we're taking the fight to the pirates  :D

• Like 1

I would like to see a game mechanic though where flying either a red or black jack would affect performance in some way. Perhaps a pirate flying a red flag would have better boarding parameters? More deadly grape shot? A heavier morale bonus on pirate crew/heavy morale fall of enemy crew?

Why would flying a flag give a bonus beyond morale?  How does flying a flag increase grape damage?