Game-Labs Forum

Clarification needed on Tribunal vs Ingame Chat Report

Tom Farseer

Dear Devs and Mods,

Recently @Gregory Rainsborough started a thread in tribunal, stating that he had been severely insulted in battle chat ingame.

@admin has stated before that severe insults (such as "Go die of cancer!") should be posted to tribunal to ensure shorter reaction times.

Link to said post:

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/26574-tasteless/?tab=comments#comment-569714

The topic however was immediately closed by a mod, who referred to the use of the ingame chat report function.

Seeing as the insults in both cases where of the same kind, I'd like to ask for a definite answer on when stuff like that is worth a tribunal and when it isn't.

Regards,

Tom

Edited by Tom Farseer
spelling mistakes

I don't think you can draw a clear and unambiguous line for what chat violations rise to a level that they require the attentions of the tribunal. Speech is too abstract for that.

Previously all chat related tribunals were immediately closed without fault, with reference to the rule about in-game reporting only. Some months ago admin created precedence, and clearly stated, that the most serious of chat abuses (i.e. death threats/threats of violence/doxxing/antisemitism/racism) should be brought to the tribunal for faster resolution. 

I'm not sure Gregory's topic should have been closed, but @Henry d'Esterre Darby made a general statement reminding about the in-game reporting function (though it was already noted in the OP), and he also stated that he referred the case up the chain of command. I'm not sure that more can be expected. Devs can look at it and reopen the topic to reply.

You cannot fight human nature that sometimes forces alpha males or alpha females to exhibit strong language and reactions. The only way to solve this completely is to remove communications with enemies. We offered the option to remove global chat and all conversation with enemies like this happens in other successful games. But the community did not want to do this, and were ok with occasionally using the ignore function. 

As a result we can only rely on reports and their volume (delayed resolutions), based on rules established by the community and valve.  But the only way to keep the chat completely clean is to remove ability to talk to the enemy like WoW did. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

he also stated that he referred the case up the chain of command

My apologies, I did not see that part when I read the post.

While it is true, that profanity and insults will always be part of a PvP game that allows communication between players (in my experience thay don't even have to be enemies), some stuff crosses a certain line. And for that, in my personal opinion, a temporary chat ban is insufficient.

14 minutes ago, admin said:

it does not indeed - the only way to fix it is to remove talking to enemies in battles. it will be painful but the chat will be clean.

it is painful to close chat for talking to others

we can not warn or talk friendly if we close the chat,

on the other hand, i do understand the measure to close it (griefing, shouting, and call each other trash e.d)

but there has to be a option to communicate with others in that battle, perhaps on another way, but that is up to the developers to make that work.

Just to put this in perspective. The other day... after we sank @Gregory Rainsborough near la Habana he started insulting me in the global chat. I ask him please to stop but se said "I will continue insulting you as it de-stress me" (sic). Now he moans because he has been insulted.
Every time I have entered in combat with him he has behave in a toxic and hateful way.

22 minutes ago, admin said:

it does not indeed - the only way to fix it is to remove talking to enemies in battles. it will be painful but the chat will be clean.

I would hate to see chat closed.  I've had plenty of friendly banter with enemies on Global and it adds to my enjoyment of the game.  Yes, there will always be toxicity and it should be reported and those people banned.  The problem is that if you block a certain player, you can still see others responding to him....and then the curiosity gets you.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Ech, why do we make such a big deal out of bigmouths?

Because gaming technology has not yet advanced enough to punch them in the face. :D

Most battle banter/insults though are ok, just some go a bit to far.  I'm not easily offended, and find some of the more extreme insults quite funny tbh knowing they are foaming at the mouth like a rabid dog.

Would be a great pity though to lose battle chat over a tiny minority of potty mouths :)

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Suricato Rojo said:

Just to put this in perspective. The other day... after we sank @Gregory Rainsborough near la Habana he started insulting me in the global chat. I ask him please to stop but se said "I will continue insulting you as it de-stress me" (sic). Now he moans because he has been insulted.
Every time I have entered in combat with him he has behave in a toxic and hateful way.

Aye I did insult you but there are insults and then there is making it personal. I never made it personal.

11 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

Aye I did insult you but there are insults and then there is making it personal. I never made it personal.

Insults are good.  There is even a list somewhere of suggested insults, though I prefer to make my own.  Race and religion should be left alone....but even your mom says you're ugly.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

You said something like "im polite with everybody (which is false btw) except with you because you deserve to be insulted".
That makes it a little bit personal, doesnt it?

Greg.. if you insult people on regular basis prepare to be eventually insulted. Maybe in your terms, maybe in a harder way.
Best option, off course, is not to insult first at all. Remember this is just a game.

Edited by Suricato Rojo

Captains

We understand that men sometimes can hate a ****ing weather or opponents and will use strong language - this happens and we take an understanding view on this (i sometimes can say stupid things i immediately regret it) and hope players can understand the heated nature of pvp combat.

But sometimes people cross the lines and start behaving like ****les -  the best way you can do is report them and put on ignore. 

We get lots of flak for bans in reviews and here for moderating chat - it shows that it works and people are getting banned. Sometimes its not as fast as it could be or as you want it to - but punishment for consistently breaking chat rules and steam eula is inevitable and comes every friday. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, admin said:

You cannot fight human nature that sometimes forces alpha males or alpha females to exhibit strong language and reactions. The only way to solve this completely is to remove communications with enemies. We offered the option to remove global chat and all conversation with enemies like this happens in other successful games. But the community did not want to do this, and were ok with occasionally using the ignore function. 

As a result we can only rely on reports and their volume (delayed resolutions), based on rules established by the community and valve.  But the only way to keep the chat completely clean is to remove ability to talk to the enemy like WoW did. 

Yes please remove global and battle chat. Test this and see what happens.

We are testers of this game and ill gladly test this.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Hennessy said:

Yes please remove global and battle chat. Test this and see what happens.

We are testers of this game and ill gladly test this.

I'll will not.

Seriously, in 2018. It's a multiplayer game and removing communication tools one after an other is not the answer, that's simply moving backward. As many other games, we should even have an ingame vocal chat...

1 minute ago, Forbin said:

I'll will not.

Seriously, in 2018. It's a multiplayer game and removing communication tools one after an other is not the answer, that's simply moving backward. As many other games, we should even have an ingame vocal chat...

If someone is bothered enough to ask to remove it then why not minimize. Global chat at least. 

41 minutes ago, Forbin said:

I'll will not.

You can communicate with your allies i nation and use your TS/Discord.