Game-Labs Forum

Game Jumping to Windows?

melarky

If it wasn't for the fact that my problem only happens in NA I would be blaming this on my laptop. And it probably still is, but anywho - I'm playing along with NA in fullscreen. Can be doing just about anything. A lot of times I don't even have hands on the keyboard/mouse/touchpad. All of a sudden the game disappears and I am back at the Windows Desktop. There is still a taskbar button for NA and if I click it I am back in the game. Nothing is lost and I am right where I was when I popped out.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this. Will be calling HP next but thought I'd ask here first.

Forgot to mention that

1.  this laptop is Win10 Enterprise which is 64 bit.

2. I play about  2-4 hrs per day and the switching can happen anywhere from once or twice a day to every 5 minutes.

3. This just started about 3-4 weeks ago. It did not do this before then.

13 hours ago, melarky said:

If it wasn't for the fact that my problem only happens in NA I would be blaming this on my laptop. And it probably still is, but anywho - I'm playing along with NA in fullscreen. Can be doing just about anything. A lot of times I don't even have hands on the keyboard/mouse/touchpad. All of a sudden the game disappears and I am back at the Windows Desktop. There is still a taskbar button for NA and if I click it I am back in the game. Nothing is lost and I am right where I was when I popped out.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this. Will be calling HP next but thought I'd ask here first.

Could you please try to reinstall GPU driver?

@melarky

This might be your problem, scaling differences between Game, Win 10 and your GPU...

I DON’T recommend you download this software but do recommend the system checks before hand

https://windowsreport.com/indows-10-fullscreen-games/

This may occur after an nVidia driver update resetting scaling parameters etc. We’ve had two in a short space of time.

Norfolk

5 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

@melarky

This might be your problem, scaling differences between Game, Win 10 and your GPU...

I DON’T recommend you download this software but do recommend the system checks before hand

https://windowsreport.com/indows-10-fullscreen-games/

This may occur after an nVidia driver update resetting scaling parameters etc. We’ve had two in a short space of time.

Norfolk

One of the symptoms sounds like my problem - Game minimizes - it's still there and I can go back to it by clicking the taskbar button. When I do that the game continues and everything in the game is in order.

Given that I played for several months before this started happening, an automatic GPU update (which I thought I had turned off) may have changed some settings??

I know anything is possible, but realistically, the laptop is fairly new - it came with Win10 Home and I reloaded it with Win10 Enterprise to make use of some of the networking features. Could this be an issue?

Given that I had downloaded the nVidia drivers directly from their site about 10 days ago, I was surprised to see the Windows Device Manager Update Drivers option actually download display drivers. Usually it would say that I already have the latest drivers. Makes me wonder where the Device Manager update is looking for updates.

Norfolk - as you recommended I did not run the downloadable application but the link does have a good list of possible causes. Researching further.

Oh - I don't know how to run the game in Windowed Mode - any help there would be appreciated.

@melarky

A couple of things first.

Bottom left click Windows icon, then the Cog Wheel “Settings” above the “START” button.

About half way down the list on the left side click “Tablet Mode” Make sure it is switched OFF.

Then,

Just above click the “Power Setup” on the list on the left. On the far right click “Additional Power Settings”. Just make sure your Power Plan is “High Performance” and Not “Balanced” while playing PC Games.

Naval Action in Game...

Press “Escape” key top left. Choose “Options” from the Pop-Up. Then left tabs click “Graphics”

Second choice “Full Screen Mode” check or uncheck as you wish. Also note was is the “Resolution” showing... mine is 1920x1080. Hit “APPLY” and then “Back” and “Continue”.

Iconize the Game. Anywhere on the Win 10 screen RIGHT Mouse click and then click “NVIDIA Control Panel”

Headings “Display” > “Change resolution” ... make sure the resolution matches the game number so for me 1080p, 1920 x 1080 (native)

Do the same “Adjust desktop size and position”

Norfolk

Tablet mode is and has been off. I started playing in a window - turned off the NA fullscreen option - and so far it has not done a switch. It is not without problems though. In OW the ship pauses a lot. Just for maybe a half second or so but it does it maybe once or twice a minute often as I start typing in IM or a keyboard command. The ship stops, the water keeps moving. 

Also the entire game screen doesn't fit - even if the window is maximized - and there doesn't appear to be scroll bars on the window. So all the displays around the edge of the playing area - compass, NA toolbar, top menu - are cut off.

So some progress but no joy yet...….

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:14 AM, qw569 said:

@melarky

This behavior is very similar when some program sets the focus on the desktop.

This is my experience as well.  It happens in any game whenever Windows in its infinite wisdom decides that something needs immediate attention.  You lose focus on the game and Windows focuses on the other activity.  For me it happens most frequently when there's a power blip and my UPS sends a signal.  Then I get a warning dialogue that says how much power is left in the UPS.  I lose focus and some games pause, others minimize.  Could be that your computer has a background task that is taking priority (and focus) frequently.

Can't imagine it's NA.

• 2 weeks later...

Going on the Windows takes control idea, I uninstalled several items that I did not want anymore. I know at least a couple of those try to do automatic updates and unfortunately could not be configured to turn off the updates.

I should have done them one at a time and then run NA in between so I could point a finger at one of them, but I did it as a group. The problem is gone for now.

Thanks to all for your input.