Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
hoarmurath

pve server name

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, Galt said:

1) I like the war/peace idea

2) stop trying to make global happen. It's not going to happen (and even if it does, I won't move)

oh yes you will. you will one day live amongst the chaos that is PvP, you may not be apart of it, but you will be among it. mark my words sailor

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

oh yes you will. you will one day live amongst the chaos that is PvP, you may not be apart of it, but you will be among it. mark my words sailor

I'm not scared to PvP. pm me in game and let's go boyo

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Galt said:

I'm not scared to PvP. pm me in game and let's go boyo

Ok so question, why wouldn't you accept being on the pvp server? What if there was a neutral faction of privateers who were exempt from pvp like the opposite of pirates. You could PVE and roam at your hearts desire while adding to the population count on the main server.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

Ok so question, why wouldn't you accept being on the pvp server? What if there was a neutral faction of privateers who were exempt from pvp like the opposite of pirates. You could PVE and roam at your hearts desire while adding to the population count on the main server.

We cant have players on the PVP server who are immune to attack.  Think of the exploits...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, EliteDelta said:

The names have to be clear, otherwise people will join the wrong one and then possibly get frustrated when they have to start over on the other. 

 

That why you notice I typed some extra data in there to let folks know that the Main server is actually a PvE/PvP server while the other was PvE only.  Than if they open regional servers the Main should be replaced with that region like.  Indian (SEA/AU PvE/PvP)   Atlantic (US PvE/PvP), Black Sea/Mediterranean (EU PvE/PvP).

Caribbean (Main PvE/PvP)

Pacific (PvE Only)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Competitive Caribbean (PvP) - 'competitive' is a nice synonym for all-against-all war

Cooperative Caribbean (PvE)

--

No hard feelings connected with either word.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

Ok so question, why wouldn't you accept being on the pvp server? What if there was a neutral faction of privateers who were exempt from pvp like the opposite of pirates. You could PVE and roam at your hearts desire while adding to the population count on the main server.

Is PvP really the 'main' server? Something like a ranking shows up again. Primary, secondary.

While a nation which would be entirely PvE orientated in a PvP environment is just adding a new toxic effect to a toxic world; the opposite idea, adding PvP on condition two Captains mutually agree to duel each other to PvE server is quite popular there. I repeatedly asked people and answers were affirmative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Is PvP really the 'main' server? Something like a ranking shows up again. Primary, secondary.

While a nation which would be entirely PvE orientated in a PvP environment is just adding a new toxic effect to a toxic world; the opposite idea, adding PvP on condition two Captains mutually agree to duel each other to PvE server is quite popular there. I repeatedly asked people and answers were affirmative.

I would use "main " simply by population.  If one server has 500pop and the other has 75pop, the "main' is obvious.  Fine for discussion purposes but not in a naming context.  \

Mutually agreed upon PVP on the PVE server would be a giant boost to that server.  It would effectively serve as a duelling room and might induce some PVP players to come over for that purpose, I think.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Wyy said:

what about calling the pve server after a famous discoverer, and the pvp server after a famous commander

I agree:

PvE server - Sir Francis Drake

PvP server - Pierre-Charles-Jean-Baptiste-Silvestre de Villeneuve

*hides*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Borch said:

I agree:

PvE server - Sir Francis Drake

PvP server - Pierre-Charles-Jean-Baptiste-Silvestre de Villeneuve

*hides*

He's certainly famous...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

Ok so question, why wouldn't you accept being on the pvp server? What if there was a neutral faction of privateers who were exempt from pvp like the opposite of pirates. You could PVE and roam at your hearts desire while adding to the population count on the main server.

I would ONLY accept being on the PvP server, I don't know that I ever eluded to the opposite (and if I did, that was not my intention.) I am saying that if they open up a second PvP server I would remain on the European server. I am not keen on starting all over again and I'm happy to set battles for the early hours of my weekend. While I feel like that's a garbage way to run a community game like this, you can bet your ass I'll be fighting against it. And when there isn't RvR, I will still be out there hunting at all hours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Is PvP really the 'main' server? Something like a ranking shows up again. Primary, secondary.

While a nation which would be entirely PvE orientated in a PvP environment is just adding a new toxic effect to a toxic world; the opposite idea, adding PvP on condition two Captains mutually agree to duel each other to PvE server is quite popular there. I repeatedly asked people and answers were affirmative.

It is the main server. The devs have stated that they have little desire to foster a PvE only environment. The fact that the PvE server exists is a courtesy but is not at all the priority of the game. PvP mechanics are what force the evolution of the game 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Galt said:

It is the main server. The devs have stated that they have little desire to foster a PvE only environment. The fact that the PvE server exists is a courtesy but is not at all the priority of the game. PvP mechanics are what force the evolution of the game 

PvE has merits for holding people back from quitting NA completely. They usually hit on PvE server after rage-quitting PvP. Increased lately after introduction of DLC ships namely Le Requin (sorry to say that, I actually like that ship), also I meet frequently people on PvE who are saying they just returned after "half a year", "one year" or "two years" so that is the place to get accustomed again without risking it all from starters.

As far as 'evolution' is concerned, PvE could have an unique evolution of its own if taken more serious by devs. This forum isn't short of suggestions of how to flesh out the PvE server. I am in fact convinced it can act as a magneto in its own right for pulling people into the game. On weekends we reach about 100 - 120 players. Population, opposite to PvP, seems steady in size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cdr. Joseph Barss said:

Oh... won't there be a fresh start again when the game ends early access anymore !?

There will, but there is no need to do it when I don't have to. European Salt is a hot commodity. 

 

1 hour ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

PvE has merits for holding people back from quitting NA completely. They usually hit on PvE server after rage-quitting PvP. Increased lately after introduction of DLC ships namely Le Requin (sorry to say that, I actually like that ship), also I meet frequently people on PvE who are saying they just returned after "half a year", "one year" or "two years" so that is the place to get accustomed again without risking it all from starters.

As far as 'evolution' is concerned, PvE could have an unique evolution of its own if taken more serious by devs. This forum isn't short of suggestions of how to flesh out the PvE server. I am in fact convinced it can act as a magneto in its own right for pulling people into the game. On weekends we reach about 100 - 120 players. Population, opposite to PvP, seems steady in size.

Now I think it's important to clarify, for my sake, that PvE does have its uses. Should there be a dedicated server? No. I don't think there should. PvE, in my eyes, is an activity used to give PvP agency. I sink 1st rate fleets to farm for marks, loot, xp, etc. I do that so that I am able to be better prepared for PvP. The issue I have with the segregated server is it has no purpose. You reach max level and then what? I can kinda understand just wailing with friends and sinking whatever you can find. I get that it appeals to the casual player who just wants to log on and shoot at this for an hour. But in the current scope of the game, they are not the target player base. They are an inevitable side effect of making a cool game like this. The focus of this game has been captain against captain, nations at war, and that's what I mean to take advantage of. That's what I am here for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Galt said:

Should there be a dedicated server? No.

You not considering everything, there another reason, read this thread, 'Saltiest/funniest chat moments'…

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/24312-saltiest-funniest-chat-moments/?tab=comments#comment-588063

It highlights a very important fact, “Some players can’t handle lost”, even if they think they can.

They rage, beg, even class loss/attack as harassment (by another person), they don’t get the meta and for them it can take along time to understand, if even. I’ve seen this exact emotion mirrored in another games, it can be a problem but one Game-Labs have taken onboard.

And one of the ways to relieve/mitigate this tension is PvE, it not so much a choice (for them) but more of an emotional avenue, relief. The general community, forum needs compassion, for them, for everybody!

 

Edited by BuckleUpBones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, BuckleUpBones said:

You not considering everything, there another reason, read this thread, 'Saltiest/funniest chat moments'…

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/24312-saltiest-funniest-chat-moments/?tab=comments#comment-588063

It highlights a very important fact, “Some players can’t handle lost”, even if they think they can.

They rage, beg, even class loss/attack as harassment, they don’t get the meta and for them it can take along time to understand, if even. I’ve seen this exact emotion mirrored in another games, it can be a problem but one Game-Labs have taken onboard.

And one of the ways to relieve this tension is PvE, it not so much a choice (for them) but more of an emotional avenue, relief. The general community, forum needs compassion, for them, for everybody!

 

The best way to relieve tension from a loss in NA is to stab yourself in the arm right before you go to bed weeping, when you wake up there will be no more bad blood.

No but really NA has some of the biggest babies when it comes to losing. Some are so afraid of losing their ships they never actually put themselves on the line when they're needed. You'll be in a fight where it's like 9v9 and there's always somebody or some people who 50 minutes in are still at full health playing tit for tat with the enemy. Gosh it's so hard trying to convince them they can afford to lose half their structure in order to finish off x opponent and that's a good compromise. /rant

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

You'll be in a fight where it's like 9v9 and there's always somebody or some people who 50 minutes in are still at full health playing tit for tat with the enemy. Gosh it's so hard trying to convince them they can afford to lose half their structure in order to finish off x opponent and that's a good compromise. /rant

Humans ruin everything!

Edited by BuckleUpBones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2018 at 12:58 PM, hoarmurath said:

pvp server : neanderthals

Kind of ironic when you consider that one of the most basic principles of evolution is that the stronger prevail and survive. The homo neanderthalensis lost the evolutionary battle against the homo sapiens and was probably partly incorporated into its gene pool. So basically the homo neanderthalensis was unable to continue to co-exist alongside the superior homo sapiens, unable to sufficiently compete. So this would logically make the players on the PvE server the true neanderthals in your amusing naming example - they are unable to compete in the "harsh" PvP environment. 

PvE server: Homo neanderthalensis

PvP server: Homo sapiens

This would make more sense, I guess? Rather odd but whatever floats your boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Is PvP really the 'main' server? Something like a ranking shows up again. Primary, secondary.

While a nation which would be entirely PvE orientated in a PvP environment is just adding a new toxic effect to a toxic world; the opposite idea, adding PvP on condition two Captains mutually agree to duel each other to PvE server is quite popular there. I repeatedly asked people and answers were affirmative.

The PvE/PvP server is the main server cause the game was never designed to be a PvE only game.  The only reason they have a server is some folks ask for one during sea trials and they since was nice enough to keep it open for what the 100-200 players on it even though it's very much a waste of resource while a game is in development.  They stated why won't work on it until after the main server/game is released as it's not an importants.  That is why it gets half arsed hand me down code from the  main server.   This is also why I think it would be better for the game to have proper safe zones and ares for folks to safely play the game on the main server and not have two servers when we are in development.  Larger safe zones that are PvE only will encourage more folks to stick around and play for the casuals and PvE oriented guys.  I'm a big fan of that concept to turn most of GoM into a PvE zone to be exact as the world is just way to big and it would still fill the promises of the game and give folks a safe area to play in say Spain/France (I wouldn't go as far as add Brits) in that area if they don't want to venture out into the main parts of the server.  Both Spain and France has two capitals.  It would work out great to have that whole area Newbie friendly making Spain the main PvE casual nation for players.  Make France the next easiest.  Than US and GB would be after them as they will prob still be the most populated servers for new players.  Than the rest are the hard modes.

As for you paid for the game and should get to play it all, well you paid for the game the devs made not for what you want.  Some times we don't get every thing we want no matter what folks think they deserve.  What we do need is to encourage to retain our casual players and give them a place to be safe in if that is what they want and to pool our resources into one part of a project.   PvE only server is pretty much like NA:L but just hasn't been shelved yet as it has merit, but after the game goes live if the numbers support paying for the extra servers.  Right now it does not support paying for the extra servers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

The PvE/PvP server is the main server cause the game was never designed to be a PvE only game.  The only reason they have a server is some folks ask for one during sea trials and they since was nice enough to keep it open for what the 100-200 players on it even though it's very much a waste of resource while a game is in development.  They stated why won't work on it until after the main server/game is released as it's not an importants.  That is why it gets half arsed hand me down code from the  main server.   This is also why I think it would be better for the game to have proper safe zones and ares for folks to safely play the game on the main server and not have two servers when we are in development.  Larger safe zones that are PvE only will encourage more folks to stick around and play for the casuals and PvE oriented guys.  I'm a big fan of that concept to turn most of GoM into a PvE zone to be exact as the world is just way to big and it would still fill the promises of the game and give folks a safe area to play in say Spain/France (I wouldn't go as far as add Brits) in that area if they don't want to venture out into the main parts of the server.  Both Spain and France has two capitals.  It would work out great to have that whole area Newbie friendly making Spain the main PvE casual nation for players.  Make France the next easiest.  Than US and GB would be after them as they will prob still be the most populated servers for new players.  Than the rest are the hard modes.

As for you paid for the game and should get to play it all, well you paid for the game the devs made not for what you want.  Some times we don't get every thing we want no matter what folks think they deserve.  What we do need is to encourage to retain our casual players and give them a place to be safe in if that is what they want and to pool our resources into one part of a project.   PvE only server is pretty much like NA:L but just hasn't been shelved yet as it has merit, but after the game goes live if the numbers support paying for the extra servers.  Right now it does not support paying for the extra servers.

Nice, I mean it, but well... you know... this entire text makes quite a long name for a PvE server. I fpr one favor location names or explorer's ones. Shorter names, you see ?

oh wait...

is it rather some off-topic ?

I do waver.

(Nothing personal, Texas 😉. It concerns 90% of this thread and that far too old story/war about PvE vs PvP)

 

Edited by LeBoiteux

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

The PvE/PvP server is the main server cause the game was never designed to be a PvE only game.

There hasn't been an official statement about PvE server future, or I haven’t read one.

 

It would be decent to everyone if NA could officially notify us on the PvE future, if it’s here to stay or the testbed has fail.

If NA hasn’t decided, then the decision must be looming.

At least to curve negativity and it would be especially courteous to PvE players, to let them know if they need to move on, at some stage/at release.

Edited by BuckleUpBones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×