Game-Labs Forum

For Southern Rights Hurrah! A southern war diary

GAR_Arapharzon

Generals,

Just for fun, I thought I'd make a war diary - semi role play - and present it here. Any comments, thoughts and ideas are very much encouraged. You will forgive my many spelling errors and grammatical mistakes, english is not my first language.

I will play as CSA (no yanks on the sacred soil of the South!) and it will be on MG level. I have played several campaigns on BG, and find I'm ready to step up to the next level. I've already played som battles and will give a short background to where I am and how the battles played out.

I will not try to recreate history. Armies might have the wrong name, generals will be at a different theatre of war etc etc. This is, after alla, MY history.

We begin right after the Battle of Shiloh. President Davies sits in his office with the battle report from Albert Sidney Johnston (who survives the battle!) and contemplates what to do next to insure the survival of his fledgling nation...

General R. E. Lee,

Sir: I take the liberty to inform You of the news from the great Battle fought at the banks of the Tennessee River, fought over two days. Gen'l A. S. Johnston has informed me that the troops under the command of general Grant were taken by surprise by the suddeness  of the attack made by our army. Great casualites were inflicted on the Federals and they were pushed back to their ramparts at Pittsburgh Landing before nightfall. Due to great fatigue and shortage of ammuniton the attack could not be pressed that night, general Johnston informs me.  After being heavily reinforced during the next day, our army took defensive positions which the Federals attacked, suffering great losses. I am told we held our ground when the 2nd day of battle was concluded. Some politicians & newspaper men claim that had it not been for general Johnston being overly prudent we would have driven the enemy to the river. Such folly! The enemy outnumbered us more than two to one and were positioned in a good defensive position. The decision not attack was wise & we by the gallant actions of our soldiers we dealt the enemy a severe blow.

Now to the matter at hand. I have decided that for the benefit of our nation we must appoint a General to lead all confederate armies in a join effort to drive the Invaders from our soil and see to it that our Confederacy receives international recognition. I can not think of more abler general than you Sir, and I must insist you accept this offer of command. The particulars of your plan I need not know but I will require You to regularly inform the Government of your plans in large. 

General A S Johnston has been sent to Virginia, leading our armies here where the threat is most dire. I trust you will make use of his outstanding abilities as a commander of troops in the Field. 

I enclose his battle report from aformentioned battle. 

Respectfully yours

Jefferson Davies

Shiloh.png

Edited by GAR_Arapharzon
Various spelling errors