Game-Labs Forum
Spikes

Add East coast access to Lake Okeechobee

that would be very interesting. The ports nested inside and around would be hugely contested in order to secure the valuable trade route that would offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir John said:

Would love it, but weren't the canals built long after NA?

Yep. But we have one, so might as well have both.

• Like 3

Technically the Caloosahatchee did not have a natural connection to the big lake (lake okeechobee) until the 20th century.  

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 12:29 AM, Christendom said:

Technically the Caloosahatchee did not have a natural connection to the big lake (lake okeechobee) until the 20th century.  

I've read by 1887, and the St. Lucie canal was in 1916...both well after what I assume our NA time frame is supposed to be.

I do not mean to derail this thread but a lot more lakes and rivers accessable to shallow draft vessels would be a nice addition to the game and reduce the need of making 6-7 rates somehow competitive with frigates and SOLS. This would also make shallow traders a more popular and valid choice.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Sovereign said:

I do not mean to derail this thread but a lot more lakes and rivers accessable to shallow draft vessels would be a nice addition to the game and reduce the need of making 6-7 rates somehow competitive with frigates and SOLS. This would also make shallow traders a more popular and valid choice.

Yep...I thought about it too. I know that the whole concept isn't to have stuff inland, but it would be nice in the future and would open up more opportunities to add new things. 

• Like 2

Also add straits or shortcuts that shallow ships can use would be a nice feature and reason to use smaller ships over bigger. Both in OW but also in battle instances. Silly that a 1st rate and 7th rate can go same distance to shore without getting stuck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Niagara said:

Silly that a 1st rate and 7th rate can go same distance to shore without getting stuck.

Simple bathymetric model would do it. In fast travel mode and especially in battle mode.

7 hours ago, Cdr. Joseph Barss said:

Simple bathymetric model would do it. In fast travel mode and especially in battle mode.

This is a feature that has come up a number of times - multiple threads about Port Battles and variety in ship usage, etc. Devs previously commented on the technical difficulty of adding a bathymetric model to the game as it is now. To me it goes with variable wind and weather and all that entails for these ships, a necessary feature in a true sailing simulation. In NA sacrificed for a variety of reasons, maybe not as important in MMO game. I'd love to see it, but my computer is such a potato, it probably couldn't handle the game then. 

• Like 1