Game-Labs Forum

Boarding options get greyed out in the last few seconds?

Lymark

Question

(Just returned to the game after 2yrs)

So, I've been attempting the final exam for the past three days with no avail. My best attempts so far are to chain one of them, spend 30mins sailing away in order to separate them and board the closer one. Now, my problem is that I don't thoroughly understand how boarding mechanic works, I'm doing this no-brainer 'attack ASAP, deck gun in the last second' method(based on youtube vids) usually with very good results, UNTIL the game somehow decides that I, occasionally, shouldn't allow to change my option in the last 1~4 sec, which have screwed me over so much. Even If I do win the boarding game, I'm usually left with less than 80 crew and ~30mins left.

I'd be very appreciated If someone could explain to me what determine whether I'm allow to change my options without greying out, and maybe some advice with my current tactics to the final exam too? :)

Thank you!

8 answers to this question

Every actions requires preperation. The longer you wait the more prep does an action need.

I dont know the numbers exactly but it works this way.

Attack = 20 prep at 15 secs left

Attack = 55 prep at 2 secs left

So the reason why they grey out over time is that your prep pool is not big enough and the action would require more prep as you would have.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lymark said:

(Just returned to the game after 2yrs)

So, I've been attempting the final exam for the past three days with no avail. My best attempts so far are to chain one of them, spend 30mins sailing away in order to separate them and board the closer one. Now, my problem is that I don't thoroughly understand how boarding mechanic works, I'm doing this no-brainer 'attack ASAP, deck gun in the last second' method(based on youtube vids) usually with very good results, UNTIL the game somehow decides that I, occasionally, shouldn't allow to change my option in the last 1~4 sec, which have screwed me over so much. Even If I do win the boarding game, I'm usually left with less than 80 crew and ~30mins left.

I'd be very appreciated If someone could explain to me what determine whether I'm allow to change my options without greying out, and maybe some advice with my current tactics to the final exam too? :)

Thank you!

In the youtube tutorial he braces three times before every "Attack/Fire Deck Guns" round.  Also he boards immediately.  You should have an hour left if you do this according to the recipe.  Don't forget to either take all his rum and reps or else take his ship and bring your rum.  You need that rum!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, z4ys said:

Every actions requires preperation. The longer you wait the more prep does an action need.

I dont know the numbers exactly but it works this way.

Attack = 20 prep at 15 secs left

Attack = 55 prep at 2 secs left

So the reason why they grey out over time is that your prep pool is not big enough and the action would require more prep as you would have.

To take a qoute from your own book:

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you have to start boarding prep from the start so they are ready when you get close to the opponent and then let it recharge in the boarding..

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, Lymark said:

So, I've been attempting the final exam for the past three days with no avail. My best attempts so far are to chain one of them, spend 30mins sailing away in order to separate them and board the closer one.

I guess you could try to board it...I just sank it with gunzzzzz. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Lol.  Did it wrong for anyone else reading.  Fire deck guns then THREE braces.  Rinse and repeat.  don't attack till his morale is zero.  Good job getting under the wire though

Ahh, the pic above was pretty much me in panic mode :P Thought I wouldn't have made it, had I gone with the extra braces. I did the 'three braces' method with the 1st ship tho.

But yeah, to whoever having trouble with the final exam, be sure to check out the awesome video a few comments above!