Game-Labs Forum

So, the patch was released and devs wanted us to test it, i did. First of all i like the other changes, DD and hammocks nerf is ok, but to pull at 8 kn? pls not. I just had a 1v4 me in a Bellona vs Bellona, requin, Essex and Aggamemnon. Battle was going good i demasted essex and Bellona seems to be soft, so i hull bashed him forced to retreat for repair. After Bellona turned back to fight (i was chained down), he just sailed next to me and boarded me (i think i was even sailing 8.2kn, but thats another topic). Should battles really end like this? You just need numbers and one ship with more crew to win? Its not just this, i was on the other side as well, going with a requin to safe zone, tag inside safe zone board and go, no risk at all even though i tagged someone inside the safe zone.

As i said i liked the other changes, but the ability to board at a speed of 8 knots doesnt seem right to me. I suggest to make it at least 5 or so, 8 just seems a bit high.

That is my opinion, what do you guys think about it?

pls discuss

Greetings

Roronoa Sensei (just a bit Salty)

• Like 22

1 hour ago, Madjohn said:

At it's first stage, the game was full pvp, and only relying on captains skills and their hability to play as a team, and it was really fun. Then came pve; upgrades, skill books, woods, trims, creating all sorts of metas with updates; rng...  All those i can take caus' i still enjoyed playing the game. With this 8kn thing i don't even want to click on "sail".

Their must be boarding in that kind of game, and manage to board a ship required skills and efforts, and yes DD was definitivly removing any interest in boarding so it's good it's been nerfed. To me it's just the boarding itself i really don't like (dumb - rock paper scissors ....- and related to players ping). Would have loved to get avatars fights (i know this won't happen) or an adaptation of Ultimate General gameplay (may be?).

I know it's testing, and i really hope 8kn will be lowered (3,4kn was fine).

For all those talking about historical facts, i love to play games with historical background (EU IV, crusader king, AC series, etc...) but i play videogames for the fun, not for historical truth at all cost

@devs  : you've made the greatest game ever, please don't ruin it by making boarding the meta (i've heard reverse just builded his full boarding bellona ^^).

Sry for my bad english but i think you'll get my point.

See you soon NA :)

;)

• Like 2

lowering it to 5 knots seems fair.

My biggest issue is that we would still need some way to combat hugging tactics, while allowing people to still board others without having to use lame Ramming/Pushing strats to even attempt to board. Just Chaining sails doesn't make the ship slow enough to board either. the "effective" way is to demast a target, but majority of players have a lot of difficulty doing that. 

What is a fast solution that would do the following:

1. Stop hugging tactics

2. Allow players to board without having to resort to ram/pushing

I understand that Admin did the change to make hugging stop, but I also understand it has the backlash of making a lot of issues. I like that hugging isn't such an easy tactic anymore and i dislike that the speed cap for boarding makes a big problem for any other situation. I don't have a clear answer though other than to create musketfire.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, NethrosDefectus said:

All these kind of patches do is favour the groups of gankers, always have. Just a shame most people cannot see it

Requins and Hercules are now much easier to kill with new changes.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

But the reasons why this is will be mirrored for every other light ship in the game. It is not specific to the DLC ships, and what I expect we'll see is that everyone will be sailing around speed fit first rates again because anything else is not viable for PvP.  

26 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

1. Stop hugging tactics

My experience as a hugger and as someone who has been hugged is that the only people who are whinging about it are inexperienced and/or sailing a ship that is not maneuverable enough to counter this tactic alone. Both of which honestly should be punished by sinking. If the player isn't shaking the huggers free by slowing down (possibly because they're being chased) then they just aren't thinking things through or they'll be sunk anyway, eventually by those smaller ships chaining the ship down for the larger ships to kill off. It will just take longer, but they'll still be sunk.

Musket fire was always a stupid solution to a non-problem, and all of these machinations to combat this one particular issue will result in worse gameplay, lowered ship diversity, and do nothing more to protect inexperienced and new players than before.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

What about those of us who not want to take Bellonas OW hunting? They're too bloody exspensive to use in open world because in order make them fast enough to chase anything you have to have copper plating and elite spanish

Not going to play all day this crappy boarding minigame.

I dont know who made this suggestion, but for god sake, what a shit one.

Many people giving far better suggestions and devs pick this one.

Losing hope.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Not going to play all day this crappy boarding minigame.

I dont know who made this suggestion, but for god sake, what a shit one.

Many people giving far better suggestions and devs pick this one.

Losing hope.

Same here....

28 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

And each battle is just boarding, boarding, boarding........

Which is boring, boring, boring.......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roronoa Sensei said:

I suggest to make it at least 5 or so, 8 just seems a bit high

Not 8, not hello kittying 5, leave as it was at less than 3,5 knots.

Wth is wrong with GameLabs?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NethrosDefectus said:

All these kind of patches do is favour the groups of gankers, always have. Just a shame most people cannot see it

all patches are in favour of gankers, there are allways more pros then cons when you sail in a group, if they would make a patch that makes a group of gankers bad it would be to decrease the damage times the amount of people you sail with.

Edited by Wyy
  • Like 2

I would hope that those complaining of patches favoring gankers understand that in true-to-life history, there existed no safeguards against engagement other than a light ship and a good breeze.

Solid points by most in here. Cheers to all.

Cordially Yours,

JPJChris

• Like 3

Im excited for the changes as it will make it easier for me to kill stuff.

Im also terrified Im going to get headshoted in PBs and that pbs will devolve into boarding fest. I dont feel some of my nation is very strong at boarding.

Is there any chance, a little consideration could be given to ai ships when implementing changes like these, they already like boarding things far too much, and now its that much easier for them. 

Not really sure what was wrong with the old boarding methods.  All that really needed to be fixed was a DD nerf and bumping the requin to a 5th rate.  

GG shallow battles again.  

Why is it that we keep getting changes no one wants instead of changes everyone has been requesting for months?  Patrol zone ROE, new pirate mechanics, RVR fixes, more PVE content.  Nope.  

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

NOt if they are full board fit (in requins case as a board fit Herc is silly) and you don't have anything.  So now every one has to have Barricades on there ship to fill one slot no matter what to counter the instant board.  So now you have to have DD to keep from instant board from smaller ship and Barricades to defend against the rub and board from anything of same size or bigger.  Any one that will do this is going to be full board fit to fight most casuals that don't set up for anti boarding.

I'm with Tutonic it needs to be dropped to like 5 knts maybe as I see the goods and bads of the patch, but right now we are all ready seeing  tons of boards in combat news and I know a few folks that lost there ships against AI today cause they didn't have anti board set ups and got pulled thinking they where going fast enough.

As for the rubber necking to get AI not to fire on them that isn't 100% all the time and most folks don't even know about that.  The only time I seen it work is when I get locked in with the ship it stops firing, other wise I had a plenty of sinking ships continue to fire at me as I wait for it to sink so I can loot the dang thing.  As I said before on other post most casuals never get that close for fear of being boarded by the AI, I mean really you ever wonder why they stay 20 miles away from ya'll in fights?  These guys aren't agresive enough to know to slam into an AI and push on it to get it to stop firing at them and like I said above it's not 100% full proof.  I would have better luck going in with a trade ship and getting them to shoot only sails as I sink them instead.  Which still works even with the LGV refit.

1 minute ago, Christendom said:

Not really sure what was wrong with the old boarding methods.  All that really needed to be fixed was a DD nerf and bumping the requin to a 5th rate.  

GG shallow battles again.  

Why is it that we keep getting changes no one wants instead of changes everyone has been requesting for months?  Patrol zone ROE, new pirate mechanics, RVR fixes, more PVE content.  Nope.  

Noticed all the guys that are all excited and for these changes we didn't ask for, it's things that will make them able to gank and kill more casuals faster.  Hay I run anti board fit any way so it won't effect me to much with my Barricades, 5rings and Axe's (optional) set up I normally run.

• Like 1

@Banished Privateer saw the screen with his set up, but what did you have?   He wasn't exact properly set up for boarding?   I mean  melee and boarding parties?  Sounds like some one that doesn't have all the shipknowledge books.  I count by the way and why isn't there any perm mods on the ship?  Well other than the one it could of dropped?  This was a cheap throw away set up to get nobs and casuals not against folks like us that have a clue.  I beaten ships with marines with nothing other than Barricads and muskets (back when muskets where actually good with grenades).

image.png.6712c62a7894e841cdd5a65cae885d

9 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

@Banished Privateer saw the screen with his set up, but what did you have?   He wasn't exact properly set up for boarding?   I mean  melee and boarding parties?  Sounds like some one that doesn't have all the shipknowledge books.  I count by the way and why isn't there any perm mods on the ship?  Well other than the one it could of dropped?  This was a cheap throw away set up to get nobs and casuals not against folks like us that have a clue.  I beaten ships with marines with nothing other than Barricads and muskets (back when muskets where actually good with grenades).

image.png.6712c62a7894e841cdd5a65cae885d

Boarding mods or not, he still would be 100% dead. Took me 2-3 rounds to kill him with my 15 marines, without them it would take me 5-6 rounds maybe. Players think Requins are some magic boarding ships, but they just have 1 deck. P Frig = 2 decks, stronger defense, stronger attack, good fire deck guns with the gun size. All commands are simply stronger + more crew.

Edited by Banished Privateer
  • Like 2

There does not seem to be a dedicated thread for the latest hot-fix (boarding mod) to be discussed.

So I created this one if its not in the right place please move

Background/qualifications

I am cowardly Ganking Pirate and so is Ned (wanted Pirate), although he is a bit more bizarre because he hangs heads from his ship......both been playing 2 1/2 years and have over 5000 hours between us.

We went out hunting with same setup we always use. (we are despicable cut throats).  

To be honest we had similar results as we had before but this time it felt more realistic and less gamey.

What we did do however was adapt and changed how we attacked and what we carried and what mods we used.

He was in a Herc and I was in Le Sexy. (I said we were are despicable .....)  

Our findings:

1. The Nerf to hammocks, light hammocks, cramped etc seems an over reaction and is unfair on everyone. These mods are pretty useless now for all ships, especially 6/7th rates and that's a shame.

2.  I like the new DD rule. You have more crew or you dont. That is fine, most people work a crew down prior to boarding anyway.

3. The new boarding mechanic is deadly against light attackers (6/7th rates) as intended. It stops hugging and stern camping of larger ships (3rd/1st rates) for fear of being boarded. 

4.  The new boarding speed feels right and seems more realistic, no more silly pushing into wind etc. 

Thoughts/predictions

1. I do not believe many captains who like shooting, will fit board mods for defense, they are to greedy to balance their ships properly. Consequently they will cry on forum for change/nerf etc because their super shooting stack ship is boarded and killed.

2. Smaller ship captains who liked to hug big ships will cry on forum for change/nerf after big ships board and sink them while they were hugging.

3. Captains who do not like boarding at all, will cry on forum for change/nerf etc and blame Requin and boarding for all evils in the game.

4. Real winners will be Ballona speed fit ships who with careful mod choices should dominate the OW. Consequntly all other captains will cry on forum for change/nerf etc...... 

5. Outlandish super plans will be proposed and polls will be published proving that this view or that view is right.

6. Some captains will rage quit for up to 6 hours and others will tell of the 'old days' when NA had 370000 players.

• Like 4

From what I've gathered, allowing boarding at 8 kts is highly unrealistic due to usual factors of wind, current, and mass of ships involved. It must be reduced once more.

I do believe that graping either ship in a boarding action will result in crew death of both sides. Historical boarding is a messy business and involves crews on both ships, and as such this change is made in good faith.

Such are my two cents thus far on the topic. 

Cordially Yours,

JPJChris

Edited by jpjchris

3 minutes ago, Crow said:

Our findings:

1. The Nerf to hammocks, light hammocks, cramped etc seems an over reaction and is unfair on everyone. These mods are pretty useless now for all ships, especially 6/7th rates and that's a shame.

2.  I like the new DD rule. You have more crew or you dont. That is fine, most people work a crew down prior to boarding anyway.

3. The new boarding mechanic is deadly against light attackers (6/7th rates) as intended. It stops hugging and stern camping of larger ships (3rd/1st rates) for fear of being boarded. 

4.  The new boarding speed feels right and seems more realistic, no more silly pushing into wind etc.

1. I respectfully disagree. The nerf was needed - it is possible to further adjust numbers, but generally it is better this way. Other 6th/7th rate boarding books still have pretty crazy bonuses and I think people will adapt and it'll be fine.

2. agree

3. as you said, intended of this change

4. I both agree and disagree - I hated the pushing into the wind, but we must realize that the 8knt speed cap is pretty whacky and should be adjusted.

Overall I understand the intention of the change, but after discussion with others and initial feedback, I must say the outcome is not exactly what we wanted. Further feedback is needed and I am pretty sure we will warrant a change or adjustment of stats again.

• Like 2