Game-Labs Forum

Knowledge Books Used for Upgrades

melarky

Question

It looks like there are several knowledge books that can be "USED" and then plugged in as a knowledge upgrade OR be included as an ingredient in a perm upgrade. The Old Flag Officer is one example. It has some bonuses by itself used in a knowledge slot or it can be used to make the British Gunnery Sgt.

I'm wondering if the same book can somehow be used for both functions - as a knowledge slot AND to make a Gunnery Sgt?  Maybe a dumb question but I have been surprised by the answers to other dumb questions I ask here.

Expecting that the answer is NO, are these particular books rare compared to other books? I have a few of these and can't decide whether to use them for knowledge slots or perms. When used for a knowledge slot it is reusable, a good thing. But the perms seem to have better bonuses.

Thanks.....

4 answers to this question

Yes you can equip Gunnery Sgt and Flag officer at same time, same with other similar modules.

So if you have multiple copies it is usually worth learning one and using others to make perm upgrades. For example Expert Carpentry can be slotted in your knowledge and Northern Master Carpenters in your permanent slot. Not sure if they plan to change this mod stacking soon.

Edited by Archaos

On 9/19/2018 at 1:56 PM, melarky said:

Archaos - I guess that is my real question. I have to have at least 2 if I want to learn and make a perm? Was hoping there was some trick to be able to learn and make a perm with only 1 book. I'm just cheap.

To craft the perm, you need an unread copy of the book. That book will be "consumed" when you craft the perm. So to 3 perm mods of this type, you'll need 3 book copies. The skill would be learned by reading yet another copy. 

Unless it's part of one of the composite books (Art of Shiphandling, Book of Five Rings and Gunnery Encyclopedia) it's always a good idea to read the first one because then you can use it on any of your ships. Books that depend on shiprate can never be used to craft upgrades so read those too. Once you start finding duplicates they are good for trading against other books, selling, or making upgrades.