Game-Labs Forum

PvP Heat Map

Here's a little suggestion that I think would work well. PvP heat zones that pop up in areas where lots of pvp has taken place that day. These aren't zones or missions, just a simple representation of what's been going on and where the action is at on the map.

PotBS+map.png

Basically a visual representation of combat news. Yes or Yes? :)

• Like 12

@Slim McSauce

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/21474-idea-the-heat-map-toggles/?tab=comments#comment-437334

This is something I suggested last year. I like the general idea with the size and maybe color depicting number of ships involved and color the rates...?

Should it be the last server cycle data only and not live perhaps?

Norfolk

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Old Crusty said:

No. There are way to many PvPers that will not hunt the hunters. All this would do is attract Sharks to blood. The seal clubbing and griefing would get worse and end result would be more loss in player base.

Good sir that is not a yes! Haha just kidding. While I disagree with your position I think there is no way to accurately predict the results, which is why it's worth a test!.

The reason I disagree is because 1. This is a visual representation of what we already get with combat news.

2. People who want fight will smell the blood, people who don't want fights will try to avoid the frey. 

thats my reasoning, sorry if the format is funky, I'm on mobile that's why.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

Similar suggestion here earlier in the year 

This one is not map based but goes of the combat news system we already have, a bit more realistic in a sense but ultimately the same goal. Given the massive support for both our suggestions, and general talks of map focus and PvP, I think some sort of pvp tracking system that kind of gives the "news of the day" if you will is in order. Combat news is dull and drab and doesn't draw much interest and the info isn't all the valuable outside of real time (which both of our suggestions detest real time alerts but realistic delay)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old Crusty said:

No. There are way to many PvPers that will not hunt the hunters. All this would do is attract Sharks to blood. The seal clubbing and griefing would get worse and end result would be more loss in player base.

We know pretty well already where is blood: we smell it from well afar.

Could be better for new/casual players: where to go to find hunters, but especially, where not to go to stay safer.

PS: Jamaica should be far deeper red. 😂

Edited by Licinio Chiavari

59 minutes ago, Flinch said:

Im shocked someone hasnt made a bot that takes information from combat news and creates a heat map from it.

Someone did this for like a month a year or 2 ago. It was cool but I'm the end, most hunters already know where all the hot spots are. While I think it's a cool idea, I think the benefit would be minimal and should be something the players do and not the devs. 

8 hours ago, Old Crusty said:

what is your favorite thing to do in the game?   missions? if so how many do you do per day roughly?      Trading? how many non afk sailing trips do you make per day? Why is it assumed that pvp kills the playerbase?   could you imagine if this was the mindset of DAYZ? or any other open world game where pvp is the main source/reason of content?

In the end I guess it doesn't matter. this mindset has already killed the game. Now you not only have the new  players quiting because the game is boring/takes to long or other reasons but you also have vets that are quiting the game because they realize there is nothing for them to do anymore once they level up. PVP is to much trouble to go look for with all the retarded engagement zones. 

Would something like this be of use, or interesting to view instead of kills...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyQOhZYRswc

This is the EvE Online [EvE] sector change over 10 years.

So, in our case a PORT is a Blob rather than pinprick and that ports region a block. This data once a server cycle could reflect Clan Port changes or Nation over time. Before my time I know on [PvP Global] [BLACK] took most of the ports. Am sure similar cases occurred on [PvP EU].

This to show trends and be used as lore for marketing etc...

@qw569

Yeah, the problem is it’s of no added value to the player. This is more Lore and for marketing back story. Building the out of game context thing...

The idea was for @Jeheil weekly he would report on the last seven-day cycle of Port changes. When added to the last three weeks then “Battlefronts” become clear-err to see. This would then toggle to show the PvP conflict hot spots again cycled over time...

I’ll pop something down later

Norfolk

On 9/18/2018 at 2:54 PM, King of Crowns said:

what is your favorite thing to do in the game?   missions? if so how many do you do per day roughly?      Trading? how many non afk sailing trips do you make per day? Why is it assumed that pvp kills the playerbase?   could you imagine if this was the mindset of DAYZ? or any other open world game where pvp is the main source/reason of content?

In the end I guess it doesn't matter. this mindset has already killed the game. Now you not only have the new  players quiting because the game is boring/takes to long or other reasons but you also have vets that are quiting the game because they realize there is nothing for them to do anymore once they level up. PVP is to much trouble to go look for with all the retarded engagement zones. 

I have to assume that the mindset you refer to is the one that Hunters cannot attack other Hunters. Because there is plenty of PvP out there if you would actually attack other people looking for PvP.

You can go to Belize, KPR, Mortimer Town, or Charleston any day of the week and find people that are looking for a fight. They sail in ships that are set up very similar to what you sail. It would be a good fight and a challenge.

But silly me, that would be my definition of PvP. I forget that for most of you your definition of PvP is little risk, high reward. You go to these places and ignore the other people looking for PvP and try and find an easy target that is not looking to fight. 

Funny, that’s exactly what bullies do.

22 minutes ago, Old Crusty said:

I have to assume that the mindset you refer to is the one that Hunters cannot attack other Hunters. Because there is plenty of PvP out there if you would actually attack other people looking for PvP.

You can go to Belize, KPR, Mortimer Town, or Charleston any day of the week and find people that are looking for a fight. They sail in ships that are set up very similar to what you sail. It would be a good fight and a challenge.

But silly me, that would be my definition of PvP. I forget that for most of you your definition of PvP is little risk, high reward. You go to these places and ignore the other people looking for PvP and try and find an easy target that is not looking to fight. 

It's a mistake that you're almost required to hit nation capitals, a mistake that we've been trying to remedy and find solutions to for a while now. The reason people hunt around capitals is because no one wants to waste precious time sailing elsewhere to find PvP. While this doesnt guarantee pvp, it gives promise to pvp in places other than just capitals and designated zones which have been all but exhausted.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

It's a mistake that you're almost required to hit nation capitals, a mistake that we've been trying to remedy and find solutions to for a while now. The reason people hunt around capitals is because no one wants to waste precious time sailing elsewhere to find PvP. While this doesnt guarantee pvp, it gives promise to pvp in places other than just capitals and designated zones which have been all but exhausted.

Right yesterday, also due to a mix of:

being hunting alone, a bulkload of British in their safe zone (and stopping the chase on border if 2v1, keeping it 4+ v1) first, then Prussians tagging me, and then being tagged by Brits (then someone asks why it is not smart hunters tagging each other in enemy safezone) and at last a bunch of pirates too, joining both sides (??);

I did a 3 hours trip out of safezones and freetown usual hubs (like LT and Tumbado).

Guess how many players I met.

ZERO.

Edited by Licinio Chiavari

16 hours ago, Old Crusty said:

lol. we kill anything we find that's able to be pulled into battle. we kill more non brits at KPR than the brits do. still doesn't change the fact that the only place to find pvp is in the safe zones. and I assure you I don't mind being the bully or the baddies. and you speak as some one who hasn't done much pvp. come to wo ts for a week and you will see how boring  it is being on the other side of the ball. always trying to find something that just doesn't exists.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2018 at 11:19 AM, Old Crusty said:

This whole comment just shows that you have no idea what you're talking about. We go where ever there are people. If combat indicates any sort of activity we go there too. Otherwise we do a circuit, Belize, Guatamala, MT, LT, Nav, KRP, etc. Anything and everything is fair game. It's easy for you to assume whatever you like, because you don't have a tight knit group of guys who've played this game since release who can and will fight anything in front of them.

You just want salt for the tears but have no clue what goes into an average day of playing this game. 

• Like 2

On 9/22/2018 at 8:46 AM, Rabman said:

You just want salt for the tears but have no clue what goes into an average day of playing this game. 

Why must you act like a 15 year old when responding? Does it feel good  to act like a dick? Are you making up for a shortfall?

Your average day is going to look different from hundreds of other players average day. Is that to big of a concept for you to grasp?

If you were half the veteran you claim to be ( and how could you be much of a veteran at 15 years old) you would see all over the Forums dozens of posts from PvPers that says hunters do not tag other hunters because they don’t want a fair fight, they only want a quick kill and then escape. There are exceptions, I believe King of Crowns when he says he kills more non Brits at KOR than Brits, but you.....