Game-Labs Forum

Cosmetic DLC! Take our money!

Dearest devs,

We would love cosmetic things such as ship paints, bow figures, and custom flags.Ā 

Unlike other DLC, cosmetic items would be of very little consequence to game mechanics. Cosmetics also provide a source of steady revenue....what's there to lose?Ā šŸ˜ƒ

Kind Regards,

JPJChris

• Like 11

Flags! Paints! Personal ship names!

Let us pay for something with zero balance risk!

PS: let stuff got by DLC being (at least partly) tradable with other players.

Paving the way for casuals having some extra cash but not so much time ingame to be able to catch on hardcore at least, and only partly, gold wise (in a lot games worked nicely)

I'll say it again, people will be perfectly willing to purchase DLC even if it offers no game play avantage.

In Team Fortress 2 people pay real money to be able to turn themselves intoĀ pigeons and cover their rocket launchers in christmas lights. I'm sure they will pay for bow figures, sail patterns, and paint jobs.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

PS: let stuff got by DLC being (at least partly) tradable with other players.

Paving the way for casuals having some extra cash but not so much time ingame to be able to catch on hardcore at least, and only partly, gold wise (in a lot games worked nicely)

I strongly disagree here. I've seen this happen in other games and it hurts the players that don't spend money on the game because the people selling DLC have more cash to spend = stuff gets more expensive for everyone.Ā 

• Like 3

actualy this pay's more revenue.Ā  then op 1x purchase ships.

for example 5 different paints.

and yes make it tradeble. it only open the market. for the gamer whitout much spare cash. get his hand on dlc.
and the game whitout time can get ingame currency / good.

player base wil be stable / increase as this is hapening.

in a beter way to spend the money around.

Of course this is something that the Developers should do. Most gamers I know want to customize their stuff and if it is reasonably priced they will spend the money on it. They will continue to customize new things as long as the price remains reasonable. It has zero impact on game balance, provides a steady income stream for the game and it makes the players happy. Win win win win win

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Capn Rocko said:

I strongly disagree here. I've seen this happen in other games and it hurts the players that don't spend money on the game because the people selling DLC have more cash to spend = stuff gets more expensive for everyone.Ā 

I don't like either. But we got the same already in NA: isnt OP having 5 alts and so aside a bunch more production, labor hours, also a ton extra of 1 time redeemables (like edinorog)?

Isnt unbalancing (and in a shadowy way) the game?

Cash for ingame money worked nicely in a lot of games.

Anyhow: give us something to buy, and we'll keep supporting the game.

On 9/18/2018 at 3:17 AM, Capn Rocko said:

Please explain as I don't understand.

• Like 1

Naming ships has been shot down as it can be abused to much. Ā Flags should be here with the UI patch with in game and dlc means to get them. Ā Paints while can be in game now they plan to do it more like ship knowledge. Ā Once you learn/buy it you can use that paint on any ship you own of that type. Ā The problem is they have to do a ship wipe to do that. Ā 

id actually just settle for pre setĀ  historical ship namesĀ  .. i have 3 bellonasĀ  different builds and mods would like to be able to identify which is which by name ...

each nation in game must have had at least 100 ships in service over time period game is setĀ  would it be hard to give us a choice of 100 ship names to choose from depending which nation the ship is crafted in ..

the name doesnt even have to fit the ships class/rate .. ie you build a suprise theres no problemĀ  calling it HMS Victory

Ā 

• Like 2

I would like to name my ships.Ā  Don't see how it would hurt anything, just keep the name clientside so the name is only visible to me.

I have no need for cosmetics, girls use make-up.Ā  But I think it is great if other players could buying paints for their ships, as long as the colours match the historical period.Ā  No day-glow, or fluorescents please.Ā 

7 hours ago, Grundgemunkey said:

id actually just settle for pre setĀ  historical ship namesĀ  .. i have 3 bellonasĀ  different builds and mods would like to be able to identify which is which by name ...

each nation in game must have had at least 100 ships in service over time period game is setĀ  would it be hard to give us a choice of 100 ship names to choose from depending which nation the ship is crafted in ..

the name doesnt even have to fit the ships class/rate .. ie you build a suprise theres no problemĀ  calling it HMS Victory

Ā 

Indeed naming the ship even only not seen from other players (@macjimm)... avoiding embarassing errors in picking the ship (like me entering a PB with my raiding fir/maho requin with minimal repairs... In place of the t/wo planked one.... We won, but damn good laugh).

Good morning Devs and Captains,

A big yes to DLC paints etc. I also want to be able to name my ships. To keep it clean and respectful should need to pick them from an approved list of names. If someone wants a name not on the list, submit it for approval and if approved it will get added to the list. Players get what they want and no one gets offended. Same with flags and bow figures. Submit the finished artwork, get it approved and it can be added.

Fair sailing all.

On 9/18/2018 at 8:51 AM, Old Crusty said:

Of course this is something that the Developers should do. Most gamers I know want to customize their stuff and if it is reasonably priced they will spend the money on it. They will continue to customize new things as long as the price remains reasonable. It has zero impact on game balance, provides a steady income stream for the game and it makes the players happy. Win win win win win

Precisely! Excellent points.

• Like 1