Game-Labs Forum

International Man of Mystery DLC

Quote from Ink this past Wednesday under 'Suggestions - Alt Tracking': "Captain, economic warfare and spying by alts is allowed"

So who are we kidding here? Let's stop this charade and go full nuclear.

Game Labs should provide a DLC that allows a player to have multiple character/nation alts without having to purchase two or more separate Naval Action accounts. I would suggest allowing three, as was once allowed for a very brief period of time if my memory serves me well.  $19.99 sounds about right for the purchase of the DLC. That's about half the price of having to purchase another copy of Naval Action.

I'm pretty positive that Game Labs would stand to make a considerable amount of money by offering an officially sanctioned DLC like this. As it is now, we have this semi-veiled acceptance of alts - as long as you play by accepted, but non-specific alt rules - whatever the hell that is supposed to mean.

It also seems to be accepted dogma that having multiple accounts does not diminish the integrity of the game or is unfair to those who do not choose to or cannot afford multiple accounts, so let's make it officially legal and affordable for all.

Multiple nation alts and prolific forger, what could go wrong?

Hell yeah! C'mon Game Labs, let's do this! 

Edited by Captiva
  • Like 5

If you can't beat em, join em 😎

Then that way you can ban the use of multiple accounts running at the same time (hopefully) and like you said, sanction the use of multiple characters within the game under one account. No more dual boxing or passive spying. Alts should only serve as opportunity to play other nations and involve yourself with different parts of the game, not to gain advantage for your main.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

If you can't beat em, join em 😎

Then that way you can ban the use of multiple accounts running at the same time (hopefully) and like you said, sanction the use of multiple characters within the game under one account. No more dual boxing or passive spying. Alts should only serve as opportunity to play other nations and involve yourself with different parts of the game, not to gain advantage for your main.

You can't ban an account simply because it it owned by the same person. 

Alts could be solved by allowing players to attack and kill members of their own nation. Make the game clan based not nation based.

• Like 8

@Captiva

There has been no charade regarding ALTs and what is allowed and what isn’t. EvE Online [EvE] it was part of the game (side note CCP just sold out to Pearl Abyss maker Black Desert). However, the hump with ALTs is having them interact with each other, that's the key always. That is simply not aloud on STEAM on the same computer so you need to Sandbox it. The ALTs value is this over everything else.

Remember there is NO such thing as BAD ALT behavior. Its always BAD PC behavior using an ALT. Which is what you correctly state about multiple accounts. The problem is risk reward mechanic that encourages bad gameplay offering cheap rewards for low risk.

If the mechanics work then there is no “BAD ALT” behavior. That’s easier said done!

Norfolk

^^

Why are alts a problem?  Because this game has yet to figure out how to manage resource distribution, crafting and a general economy.  Alts are necessary or were necessary because of things like labor hours, fine woods and only certain woods being ideal for PBs and being poorly distributed on the map.  

• Like 2

alts, the result of higher value being placed on multiple separate characters instead of building on one. See how we are limited to 5 buildings per char with 0 chance of expansion or enterprise without purchasing another character. A direct link of the advantage alts have to the limitations placed on single chars.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

If the mechanics work then there is no “BAD ALT” behavior. That’s easier said done!

Ok, then Game Labs should fix the mechanics, and then offer the Multi Character/Nation DLC on one account, and let the games begin.

Let's do away with having to purchase multiple full price or sale price downloads of Naval Action in order to be competitive. Let's make it easier and more affordable for all players to play Multi-Characters and Nations, not harder.

Game Labs needs to simply sign off on and officially give their blessing to the Alt DLC, and potentially making more money to boot. A win-win for everyone.

I'm personally in favor of banning alts from the game, but it apparently will not or cannot be done. So, as Slim said above, "If you can't beat, join em".

It’s just my view and take it with a pinch of salt...

I’ve used ALTs for a long time in very different ways. Naval Action offers you one ALT on a different server already. If you want another PC then I think you should pay up for it. The DLC Lite-ALT pack I thought was a great idea in principle. Game-Labs would struggle to offer same server multiple PC, and definitely not active at the same time.

However, I think NA-OW is about enjoying the whole experience. I would never advise a new player to get an ALT. Learn the mechanics first otherwise it will drive you made. The one thing Norfolk hates most is P/ss Poor Planning...

Most times you just don’t need them, better game technique I always think is superior. That’s really easy for me to say as well, not wanting to sound condescending. ALTs are not easy way to get on in the game. However, like my guide states I use Norfolk nWay to enhance my enjoyment but never to undermine a player clan or the game.

I unfortunately don’t agree with the idea for multi-PC packages for NA-OW, I would for EvE Online [EvE] though. Just my opinion only

Norfolk nChance [ELITE]

1 hour ago, Captiva said:

Ok, then Game Labs should fix the mechanics, and then offer the Multi Character/Nation DLC on one account, and let the games begin.

Let's do away with having to purchase multiple full price or sale price downloads of Naval Action in order to be competitive. Let's make it easier and more affordable for all players to play Multi-Characters and Nations, not harder.

Game Labs needs to simply sign off on and officially give their blessing to the Alt DLC, and potentially making more money to boot. A win-win for everyone.

I'm personally in favor of banning alts from the game, but it apparently will not or cannot be done. So, as Slim said above, "If you can't beat, join em".

you cannot trade between 3 chars on 1 account. But you can between 2 accounts. Multi chars on 1 acc will always be in a disadvantage. And as long you can bypass to run steam more than once on 1 machine there will always be the advantage for more accounts.

1 hour ago, z4ys said:

you cannot trade between 3 chars on 1 account. But you can between 2 accounts. Multi chars on 1 acc will always be in a disadvantage. And as long you can bypass to run steam more than once on 1 machine there will always be the advantage for more accounts.

Thanks for the clarification, z4ys. Because of this, I will withdraw my Alt DLC suggestion and return to my original position of lobbying to ban alts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, z4ys said:

not if out of bounds alts not under your profile are banned from the game, then you solve 99% of the problem because everyone is under the same rules, which are easily enforced through your main account rather than obscure steam accounts. Its a waste of money to buy multiple copies of the game anyway just to get an extra character slot on a server, what if you want to try a different nation or career that wont fit on one char? it'll be easier to manage this way

• Like 1