Game-Labs Forum

Character rating for inside a nation

This is Ebay inspired for sure, but was triggered by one of anolytic's posts:

We should be able to rate fellow nation players in our own nation with bad or good ratings. For example some text like  "suspicious character" and to counter it by marking them as "Known patriot" or something like this. I personally like thing simple so I would just go with Good/Bad. This rating could get summed up and be visual by clicking the "i" on the player in OW or searching up the players nick and checking out the info.

So for example when I as a spanish nation player see that I'm followed by another spanish player in a basic cutter through OW, I can click on this players info tab and see if he has been marked with negative, good or no rating. If there is no rating then this also works as an warning.

I'm paranoid when sailing alone in OW. So if I spot another nation player tailing me I check the created date on that character by searching it up in game. I treat them all as new players, but I do raise my guard up and keep a better eye with what's on the horizon when I see that the character is recently created.

Side track: Another thing that would be funny would be to see how many times a character has got his chat post reported. Just as an indication if he/her is an asshole or not :D   

Edited by Tiedemann
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tiedemann said:

We should be able to rate fellow nation players in our own nation with bad or good ratings.

This is a great feature but its also a very bad feature, due to human nature creating "black mirror" situations.

For example - a very large clan in your nation can drop  a solo player rating just because they dont like you. A solo player wont have the ability to recover from it. 

• Like 29

5 minutes ago, admin said:

This is a great feature but its also a very bad feature, due to human nature creating "black mirror" situations.

For example - a very large clan in your nation can drop  a solo player rating just because they dont like you. A solo player wont have the ability to recover from it. 

For me personally you could slap "BAD" or "Known spy" tag on me and it would not affect me.. Being bad is cool ;) But I'm already in a clan and play with others I know, so I do get where your going with this. For a brand new player it could be very isolating to get this negative rating early in the game experience. 

But if this is main argument for not considering this, then just make the rating good or nothing. So negative ratings would just remove the good ratings, but when you get to 0 -> 0-1 = 0. 

A character assessment of laymen usually leads to the facts of "discrimination"! Anything that favors discrimination I decline personally and I will also distance myself from it.

Eine Charakterbewertung von Laien führt meist zum Tatbestand der "Diskriminierung"! Alles was Diskriminierung begünstigt lehne ich persönlich ab und ich werde mich auch davon distanzieren.

• Like 4

What do you do when alts start downrating respected nation players? The system would be so open to abuse that it would be worthless. Well known players would be targeted with smear campaigns and spies would be given elevated status by alts and average players would not have much either way.

• Like 2

So I'm now registering that we all fear a rating system. And this is because we strongly believe that this games player base has more bad apples in it than the world normally has. Because a lot of working applications/websites actually depend on rating systems. And all you need to do often to rate something is register an email so it basically is anonymous..

So then what if we remove the possibility to give a bad rating then..? So characters would only have a "neutral" or "good" rating, then nobody would have a "bad" rating..

You "naysayers" happy now?

3 hours ago, Tiedemann said:

So I'm now registering that we all fear a rating system. And this is because we strongly believe that this games player base has more bad apples in it than the world normally has.

Go read through the "great battle results" thread and tell me otherwise.

4 hours ago, Tiedemann said:

And this is because we strongly believe that this games player base has more bad apples in it than the world normally has. 

So then what if we remove the possibility to give a bad rating then..? 

I understood that people posted that negative ratings can be abused. We are free to form our own opinions of other players.  The interactions are an important part of the game.  I believe that there is a high number of great personalities in the community.

But you have a point ... We can "like" a post in the forums, but there is no choice to hate.

Edited by Macjimm
Grammar

To what end is this suggestion made?  I don't see any "because..." in the suggestion.  Personally I don't see any benefit to this rating suggestion.  Sounds like you just want a better way to evaluate if you are safe in the OW.  I read your suggestion a few times and I don't get the reasoning behind it.  Would you mind completing the suggestion, with I want this because.....

Edited by Jean Ribault
  • Like 1