Game-Labs Forum

Journeys, And Crew moral ideas

In The age that this game is based voyages to any part of the world required food, water, grog, officers, and most of all discipline that is a feature that i beleive should be implemented BUT for the sake of playability Not as realistic.

FOOD: Food and water were needed on a voyage to anywhere this should be a key consumable needed for long journeys for the sake of 1 realisim and 2, In this game Port camping was a tactic done dureing the day and will be used in the player run ports for many reasons. 

Lets say a enemy fleet wants to run you out of a port instead of faceing you on the open seas hell figure out when your in port and camp it, this will give limited space to move for all involved and if the enemy has bigger ships and more numbers this is all suicidal and they wont be able to push out. Also if your locked into that port until you leave it they can keep a entire group there for however long they please.

But if they consume food and water over time they will have to retreat to resupply giveing a chance for the smaller group to do a multiple of things!

Grog/Rum: this was used to keep sailors happy and as such should be consumed in your hold for that reason, if not you might have sailors with low moral or stealing food making you lose food faster, there could be multiple negatives. Also this will keep the game real and give the crew (who arent modeled) substance and be there even though they arent.

Officers: Officers of high calibur is why france lost the naval war (among other reasons) and this should be implemented in game to affect how your crew is affected.

This list will consist of ELITE crew that will give a ship bonuses according to there expertise.

Master Sailor: This crewman will make your ship faster and lose less wind in tacks, and turns. (due to there master art of trimming sails)

Marine Captain: Elite boarding expert, increases damage done dureing boarding and (if moral) decreases loss of moral if against a bigger ship with more crew.

Gunnery Captain: Decreases moral shock when fired on in gun decks, decreases reload time, And Increases accuracy (since he fires the gun himself)

Surgeon: After a battle (and dureing) will regen a limited number of crew (so you dont have to pay for as much crew) and (if illness is implemented) will limit the number of deaths due to plagues, viruses, and illness.

Petty Officers/Midshipman: helps keep the crew in line and disciplined ( reducing moral loss over time at being at sea, fighting). 

• Like 1

What bonuses or skill would you propose the captain of the ship has, if any (eg like a skill tree... Or is that taboo?)?

It's been debated many times, along with crew bonuses etc.

One of the older threads - http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/554-officers-crew-and-their-skills/

Many smaller and newer threads contain much of the same theory crafting.

I'm still of the opinion of wait and see, it is too early to think up big systems imo.

You have me thinking... The game is to have realism and no magical skills or parlour tricks.

But there are bound to be modifiers out there... As you've suggested... To create content that players strive towards. I like the crew ideas alot.

These I assume are earned over time, or are these present on all ships and developed with experience over time? (recognizing that this is a proposal)