Game-Labs Forum
Norfolk nChance

Question: Tactics for Anchoring a SoL in case of a PORT Defense

Question: Tactics for Anchoring a SoL in case of a PORT Defense

Quick question if anyone knows. FRENCH You’ve a small squadron 4x HEAVY SoLs and support frigates. You need to dock overnight in Tiburon.

The Wind pushes NW-NNW and expected to continue. You think they maybe a chance of a GB sneak attack on the PORT.

Is there a Procedure or basic anchoring defense setup seen?

I was thinking along these lines. The main attack approach J8 NW to E4. Secondary A5 SW to E4. J1 NE to E5 unlikely full facing broadsides, no cover and tower/fort support.

I have an issue with the center two Heavy SoLs. They’re wide open for doubling, needing to raise anchor first and then turn into the wind. If I put the bottom three in a diagonal line F5 SE to H7 it opens the Western side...

Any help or reference work much appreciated

Norfolk nChance [ELITE]

defense2.jpg

I would recommend the Battle of the Nile, (Aboukir Bay) It pretty much has all the information you are looking for, Anchoring dispositions, method of attack and defensive measures, and what can go wrong when attacking ships anchored in a shallow water port, and, indeed, the unorthodox planning that was so typically Nelson.   

• Like 1

Yes thank you was looking at Aboukir very difficult . Its hard problem. The only thing I came up with was the same location positions. The bottom three raise anchors and drive South West. 

The main Attack J8 NW to E4 would be met with the 3x French PORT Broadsides into the lead and second inbound ships. The right French SoL (coast) would look exposed to Doubling or stern rake and open F6 for direct port attack.

10 minutes ago, Norfolk nChance said:

Yes thank you was looking at Aboukir very difficult . Its hard problem. The only thing I came up with was the same location positions. The bottom three raise anchors and drive South West. 

The main Attack J8 NW to E4 would be met with the 3x French PORT Broadsides into the lead and second inbound ships. The right French SoL (coast) would look exposed to Doubling or stern rake and open F6 for direct port attack.

Yes, however it could take several hours to get under way, such operations tended to be cutting out missions by small boat at night, which is partly why Aboukir Bay was so unorthodox. 

I strongly suspect that an enemy fleet would be upon them before they were even half way through raising anchor, if they even tried, as would be quicker to cut the Hawsers. I have always been at a loss as to why the French Admiral elected to remain anchored, the port batteries seem to have been redundant, and most Admirals would have preferred Maneuverability to being a sitting target.  

• Like 1