Game-Labs Forum

Storm weather in port battles?

Weather in port battles  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want storm weather (heavy fog and rain) to transfer to port battles?

• Yes
    • No

Y

E

S

but i prefer storm in OW than PB, unless you take off the minimap and the map.  if there is storm in port battle, it will be dangerous for defenders as the attakers...what circle are the attakers going to? where will we find defenders? are we going on shore? are we facing square fort? (also the fort must be disabled or must has same visibility of players). some pb will be won by sneaking inside the fog to 1 or 2 circles....it will be really interesting and dinamic for PB tactics

visibility must be really reduced , so you can see only the ship in front and behind you in line and sail with fog-signals (bell)....

istances with big waves will be the top, but start with fog rain and low visibility

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Archaos said:

I see plenty of people trying to say that sailing ships battled in storms, but this is incorrect. A storm is when winds reach force 10 on the Beaufort Scale (https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/guide/weather/marine/beaufort-scale). Sailing ships in these weather conditions would be seeking shelter not fighting battles.

Battles may have been fought in bad weather but I would suspect that once weather started getting anywhere near gale conditions fighting would have ceased due to the sea conditions.

Another thing people seem to be getting wrong is that it is either calm or stormy, forgetting that there are a range of conditions in between and weather is dynamic. The weather can be flat calm one minute but over the space of minutes or hours can become bad. So a battle may start in good conditions but weather can deteriorate during the battle and affect the battle outcome.

Personally I think this is too complex to try and simulate with any resemblance to real weather especially when you take into account the time compression differences between OW and battle instance.

I don't think @admin was referring to force 10 conditions, but rather the "storm" map from Sea Trials, minus the high waves. Also most people aren't looking at the definition of storm from the Beaufort scale, rather generally bad weather which is what the poll asks. Although the HMS Indefatigable 's most famous engagement occurred during gale force conditions. I agree there are a variety of conditions, and those conditions should have differing effects on the ships. It should be very bad for Le Requin to be sailing around in force 6 or higher conditions for example. For reference the wind in NA appears to be force 4.  Ultimately IMO it is only worthwhile implementing different weather conditions if the ships suffer the consequences like rigging damage, reducing sail and inability to fire from lower gun ports (I seem to remember this happened in Sea Trials with high waves). IMO not having some variation in wind force and weather conditions leaves an important part of age of sail strategy and tactics out of the game. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, qw569 said:

I think you do not understand what I mean.

The forum is a bad place to make polls and make decisions based on them.

3% cannot represent of all players.

I get your point and I have mention before making in game polls for certain things would be a good way to get feed back.

On 9/10/2018 at 3:18 AM, Hethwill the Harmless said:

@admin

you mean this type of battle into PBs ?

That would mean the OW weather gets synched into the PB instance, then ?

I found minimap to require fog of war as well.

still too much visibility...correct funny visiblity should be no more than 30 meters from ship's sides and bow, a real fog.  obviously  no map/minimap only sight-sailing

3 minutes ago, Captains said:

Why not map ? You have compass  and map  , why you should't use them ?

minimap and map show you enemy position, land position and your position...so fog and rain are useless to reduce your visibility and change your tactics inside the battle istance.

you can have the map of the port but without moving-ship-icons on, only the coast and land without any other point of reference

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

In PBs we need to know where the circle caps are located and we have the maps of the port schemes/shore. We can turn off radar/position of ships in battle from the map, but unless you implenent a new navigation tool (we had many of them in age of sail), making map blind is just silly. 

correct.

maps with circle will stay, but it's mandatory to remove own, ally and enemy ships icon and position.  you can go to circle A, but who knows what you will find once there? always that you can get there... :D

• Like 1

If NA really kicks off after release (As we all hope), would it be possible -in theory- to run storm battle instances on a seperate server? So that when a battle happens in a storm, we simply load the battle on a different server and have that one sync with the primary server?

Edited by Percival Merewether

23 hours ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

no GPS in the age of sail ;) 

Can have the charts with the circles.

Just a suggestion.

You can turn your map off if that is the game you want to play but for the rest of no thank you.  

Honestly grids needs to come back to OW map and rough lad/long (drop F11 cords.). I should be tell some one to meet me roughly at these cords and in game not using 3rd party software find me.

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

You can turn your map off if that is the game you want to play but for the rest of no thank you.  

Honestly grids needs to come back to OW map and rough lad/long (drop F11 cords.). I should be tell some one to meet me roughly at these cords and in game not using 3rd party software find me.

we were talking about the map in port battles not ow

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

We got folks that can barely pay att nation to the green and red on the mini map and you think it’s smart to take that away?  I can just see friendly fire going through the roof and all the complaints.

Players need to learn situational awareness and use all the tools available.  You're correct that there are inexperienced players who will green on green or collide with everyone.  That's not a reason to avoid features that would improve the game.  Alas, some of them will never learn. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

We got folks that can barely pay att nation to the green and red on the mini map and you think it’s smart to take that away?  I can just see friendly fire going through the roof and all the complaints.

the problem belongs to those players...but if you never put someone out of is comfort-zone, he will never learn...i'm really sure that storm,fog,rain, no ships icons and reduced visibility will be a little new life for this game

• Like 1