Game-Labs Forum

Storm weather in port battles?

Weather in port battles  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want storm weather (heavy fog and rain) to transfer to port battles?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, qw569 said:

I think you do not understand what I mean.

The forum is a bad place to make polls and make decisions based on them.

3% cannot represent of all players.

It's not a democratic decision on Brexit.  They just wanted an opinion from some people who actively give feedback.

• Like 3

Just another point if you were to add reduced vis into a port battle (or any battle for that matter).  You should also reduce the clarity of the battle map.  There's no point in reducing the vis, if you can go to a nice clear radar display and sort out the surface picture.  You'd lose a lot of the chaos factor.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Lets not go very hardcore.

I don't think that is over the top.  Really, what would the point be with stormy weather?  Reduce the vis and add some confusion.  having a perfectly clear battle map would nullify that.  Don't forget we still have our travelling camera view, lol. And our magical 18th century cell phones!

Edited by Angus MacDuff
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

I disagree, if so, what is the point of having a forum in the first place?

Forum was useful untill early access (25 Jan 2016).

23 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

It's not a democratic decision on Brexit.  They just wanted an opinion from some people who actively give feedback.

Account on forum do not link to account in game. So not only owners of game can take part in discussion and polls

So if somebody have special skills then he can make hundreds accounts in forum which will vote as he wish.

What happens if developers begin listen or ignoring vote of his amy?

23 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

We are the most active testers of the game and community that gives valuable feedback.

It's not guarantee that somebody active tester. Look the most oldies account on forum jonnysweden. What priority will you set for his opinions?

Edited by qw569

i voted no .. its supposed to be historical and realistic ... 17th century dships would not have fought a large engagement in stormy weather .. they would have been too busy managing the ship  trying not collide wth each other or sink from storm damage ..in reality when Royal Navy was blockading the French a storm would scatter the blockading fleet up and down the english channel they couldnt even remain on station nevermind fight a fleet engagement 

. secondly there is too much suspicion and salt  already in the game over exploits .. imagine nation A  attacks nation B port and in 3 attempts there is a a storm in battle making all 3 attempts failures .. meanwhile nation B attacks Nation A ports and all are calm weather battles ,,, its just not worth the grief

last point would a storm in battle affect in game graphics especially large fleet engagements ?

Edited by Grundgemunkey

12 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

i voted no .. its supposed to be historical and realistic ... 17th century dships would not have fought a large engagement in stormy weather .. they would have been too busy managing the ship  trying not collide wth each other or sink from storm damage ..in reality when Royal Navy was blockading the French a storm would scatter the blockading fleet up and down the english channel they couldnt even remain on station nevermind fight a fleet engagement 

. secondly there is too much suspicion and salt  already in the game over exploits .. imagine nation A  attacks nation B port and in 3 attempts there is a a storm in battle making all 3 attempts failures .. meanwhile nation B attacks Nation A ports and all are calm weather battles ,,, its just not worth the grief

last point would a storm in battle affect in game graphics especially large fleet engagements ?

Then devs should implement visual clue on map or in OW too indicate there is a storm where the port battle is too take place. Attackers will then choose cancel the port battle or attack in storm.

Im for the storms but i want them in OW as well but not just visual ones,but dangerous ones that can capsize your ship or break your mast

@admin

I’d like to see it tested. Would like dynamic storm damage included. Otherwise it’s just eye candy

Issue I see is the wave impacts of smaller niche ships like Mortar Brig already mentioned.

World of Warships [WoWs] do something of a count down to a storm brewing till it actually hits. This could used for prone storm areas

Norfolk

4 minutes ago, Lovec1990 said:

Then devs should implement visual clue on map or in OW too indicate there is a storm where the port battle is too take place. Attackers will then choose cancel the port battle or attack in storm.

Im for the storms but i want them in OW as well but not just visual ones,but dangerous ones that can capsize your ship or break your mast

its hard enough to get people to pvp and rvr ,, as it is lets give people more reasons not to do either

Just now, Grundgemunkey said:

its hard enough to get people to pvp and rvr ,, as it is lets give people more reasons not to do either

sorry i just proposed an idea.

PvP will not be fixed until devs do not realise it is broken and RvR there is no benefit of doing it

Just now, Banished Privateer said:

It should be up to player to decide if he wants to take the risk or not. No one is forcing you to do so! It's pretty obvious that storms did happen, I guess we can all agree on that?

they did happen storms should be also in OW they would be great anti-AFK feature

3 minutes ago, Norfolk nChance said:

@admin

I’d like to see it tested. Would like dynamic storm damage included. Otherwise it’s just eye candy

I think you underestimate the impact of low vis on the chaos factor.  If they did it right and took away the magical battle map view also, the confusion could be decisive.  Good leadership would make a huge difference and comms discipline on discord/TeamSpeak would be critical.  It would be a very interesting challenge.  How would you know who is in the circles?  Send a Recce.  Where is their main fleet??  Where are their Recce ships?? 

• Like 1

There's plenty of invasion ( rvr ) fleets that got caught in gales and heavy weather at the end of the journey.

If 2 are not enough we can go through and find enough.

Again my concerns are several, albeit voting Yes.

1. Transition from OW to PB must be credible. 

2. if fps decay is no concern

3. fog of war in minimap

Two of those must exist for the idea to be interesting enough.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

There's plenty of invasion ( rvr ) fleets that got caught in gales and heavy weather at the end of the journey.

If 2 are not enough we can go through and find enough.

Again my concerns are several, albeit voting Yes.

1. Transition from OW to PB must be credible. 

2. if fps decay is no concern

3. fog of war in minimap

Two of those must exist for the idea to be interesting enough.

i actually like option 3 ... in fact do away with the  map altogether in pb

• Like 1

I see plenty of people trying to say that sailing ships battled in storms, but this is incorrect. A storm is when winds reach force 10 on the Beaufort Scale (https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/guide/weather/marine/beaufort-scale). Sailing ships in these weather conditions would be seeking shelter not fighting battles.

Battles may have been fought in bad weather but I would suspect that once weather started getting anywhere near gale conditions fighting would have ceased due to the sea conditions.

Another thing people seem to be getting wrong is that it is either calm or stormy, forgetting that there are a range of conditions in between and weather is dynamic. The weather can be flat calm one minute but over the space of minutes or hours can become bad. So a battle may start in good conditions but weather can deteriorate during the battle and affect the battle outcome.

Personally I think this is too complex to try and simulate with any resemblance to real weather especially when you take into account the time compression differences between OW and battle instance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Archaos said:

I see plenty of people trying to say that sailing ships battled in storms, but this is incorrect. A storm is when winds reach force 10 on the Beaufort Scale (https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/guide/weather/marine/beaufort-scale). Sailing ships in these weather conditions would be seeking shelter not fighting battles.

Battles may have been fought in bad weather but I would suspect that once weather started getting anywhere near gale conditions fighting would have ceased due to the sea conditions.

Another thing people seem to be getting wrong is that it is either calm or stormy, forgetting that there are a range of conditions in between and weather is dynamic. The weather can be flat calm one minute but over the space of minutes or hours can become bad. So a battle may start in good conditions but weather can deteriorate during the battle and affect the battle outcome.

Personally I think this is too complex to try and simulate with any resemblance to real weather especially when you take into account the time compression differences between OW and battle instance.

+1 If it was done I would want it done right. I would love some more high waves ingame but if this was added it would take ages to get right

Although it's titled "Storm Weather", Devs follow that in brackets with "rain and poor vis".  They have specifically said they don't mean high waves, as it's too difficult.  I don't think we need worry about the Beaufort Scale here.  Lets take gameplay fun over reality. 

5 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

Possible suggestions:

• Make such votings and gathering feedback in-game login page. Some games include community polls in the actual game launchers and menus

Most folks I run into in the US nation appear to have no idea there is a developer forum.  If they read anything at all it's on Steam.  But usually not even that.

@admin

We already had current storm (without big waves) in battle instance in 2017 year. I took part in one of such battle.

Why did you turn off it?

3 hours ago, dark lord rediii said:

EU will stop changing time from summer to winter based on what percentages?

sorry cant understand question. :(

Edited by qw569