Game-Labs Forum

Storm weather in port battles?

Weather in port battles  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want storm weather (heavy fog and rain) to transfer to port battles?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Wyy said:

Battle of Quiberon Bay

"Meeting at the mouth of Quiberon Bay on 21 November, the two fleets closed in on each other. Conflans initially formed a line of battle and prepared to engage, but then changed his mind and his ships raced to take shelter in the bay. Hawke pursued, taking a high risk in the middle of a violent storm, and captured or drove ashore five French ships. "

Invasions wasn't all ways done in clear weather

Exactly this.  Invasions took days or weeks to plan, then to gather forces, days or months in travel time, and finally, days or more of sailing to get there and land, and there was very little weather predictions other than the barometer.  Also reference the Spanish invasion fleet that was destroyed by weather in 1588.  If weather moved in while you were attempting the invasion, so be it - you had to deal with it.

I'm all for weather to affect PBs.  It was an unavoidable fact of life at the time.

• Like 4

Nice WOW effect, but i voted NO.

We had battles in storm, they were pretty boring because killing someone is not really possible.

90 minutes of sailing around, getting lost, shooting waves, there is a reason why it was taken out.

Historically i would say no navy would have attacked a harbour in a storm.....

Default win for the defender - attacker will not be able to generate points, neither by kills nor forts bombardement.

Erm, just seen that no big waves are possible, in that case, ignore the above. ;)

Edited by sveno

2 minutes ago, DesMoines said:

For a game that claims to be historic it's kind of funny to say that the waves will be the same all the time as we get out patches where we put the drift for boats and armor thicknesses that increase with angle we give ....

Really ironic.

I bet this is more technical issue than developers will...so...

I voted NO. It may seem to be an interesting feature but all it will become is a pain in the backside. Look at the OW when there is reduced visibility and storms and at how many people log off and come back when the visibility has improved or teleport to another area of the map to play where the visibility is good.

As people have mentioned the reality of it is that invasions would have been postponed in bad weather, the bad weather in game does not even take into account the reality that in certain weather conditions the lower gun ports on many ships would not have been able to be opened for fear of flooding. Yes, battles did take place in bad weather of an battle that had already started was overtaken by bad weather, but in most cases they would have been limited engagements or the onset of bad weather would have interrupted the battle.

Also to be borne in mind that the weather experienced in game bears very little resemblance to actual Caribbean weather. You seldom actually get reduced visibility that covers half of the Caribbean and lasts for days at a time like in game unless you are in hurricane season and even then the frequency is nowhere near the number of times we experience it in game. You may get some localised heavy rain that disrupts visibility, but these are usually short lived and very localised. Fog as far as I am aware is not common in the Caribbean due to the high sea water temperatures. There is a reason they call it the Sunny Caribbean!!!

If you wish to introduce poor visibility and weather into port battles, do it because you want it as a game feature rather than any simulation of reality, because if you try to go down the reality route then you best introduce trade winds, currents, hurricane season etc.

6 hours ago, admin said:

heavy waves are impossible as waves are on the server and universal for all. Changing waves requires instance restart (server restart). They were possible during old sea trials because storm map was on a separate server (machine). 

Hello, would it be possible to activate big waves in combat instance. I understand that it's quite difficult to do it in open world, but in a unique and non permanent seperate instance, as a combat instance is (?), it should be possible ? Maybe not in your short list at the moment, but later it would be very cool to rebuild sea management to make it adapt to weather.

Edited by zyzko
  • Like 1

If we're trying to introduce more realism with that change, then let's add a fog of war to the map in battles as well. If You can't see the other ship with Your eyes, You shouldn't be able to see it on the map either. That would be interesting... and battles in such weather conditions would most likely be very boring and ineffective. at least for the attackers :)

1 hour ago, Archaos said:

Also to be borne in mind that the weather experienced in game bears very little resemblance to actual Caribbean weather. You seldom actually get reduced visibility that covers half of the Caribbean and lasts for days at a time like in game unless you are in hurricane season and even then the frequency is nowhere near the number of times we experience it in game. You may get some localised heavy rain that disrupts visibility, but these are usually short lived and very localised. Fog as far as I am aware is not common in the Caribbean due to the high sea water temperatures. There is a reason they call it the Sunny Caribbean!!!

If you wish to introduce poor visibility and weather into port battles, do it because you want it as a game feature rather than any simulation of reality, because if you try to go down the reality route then you best introduce trade winds, currents, hurricane season etc.

This is a good point. You can make the bad weather more tropical though. Have a rain squall that comes through hard but very quickly for example, or is more localized. There is a rainy season as well. Ships have been wrecked in the Caribbean due to storms and bad weather (providing nice places for us to scuba dive today!).  Remember also that the map is large so weather patterns in the Bahamas are different than off the coast of South America for example. 

I would like to see more diversity in weather and wind conditions, so I say let's test it in the PB.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DeRuyter said:

This is a good point. You can make the bad weather more tropical though. Have a rain squall that comes through hard but very quickly for example, or is more localized. There is a rainy season as well. Ships have been wrecked in the Caribbean due to storms and bad weather (providing nice places for us to scuba dive today!).  Remember also that the map is large so weather patterns in the Bahamas are different than off the coast of South America for example. 

I would like to see more diversity in weather and wind conditions, so I say let's test it in the PB.

Could one of the many 'weather simulation' programmes used by Flight Simulator be used? 

They provide up to date weather conditions which could have an effect on RVR/PVP operations and OW operations equally.

If the wind direction and strength could be tied into the game then trade winds would be a factor, if weather damage were introduced that would be another factor, Commanders could decide on the spot whether to continue an operation or postpone it. 

The choice of whether to fight or not fight is in the hands of Captains according to the prevailing weather state.

• Like 1

Hello Admin, Devs and Captains,

I vote a big resounding YES to this one. I didn't realize instances were on the same server as OW. Please do put them on another server so we can have heavy weather in battle instance. Not being able to open lower gun ports, mortar brigs not being able to shoot accurately, wrecking your masts if you don't shorten sail, possibility of capsizing your ship, not being able to see where you are going etc. Maybe, just maybe a rare lightning strike blowing up a ship, or for that matter the powder magazine in a fort. Captains will just have to learn how to deal with it, part of your skill as a captain and knowledge of that ship that no bonus or lack thereof can take away from you. In OW the times I have been able to sneak into port when I knew enemys were around..... and of course a couple of times I've been sailing through a storm and run across an enemy ship, just heart dropping. I liked it early on when the storms were really thick and I love the fog now. Want more.

Have to go. Able Seadog Wade help me make my escape before Admin catches me and gives me a thrashing for spending his money without permission.

Fair sailing and a great day all.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, admin said:

heavy waves are impossible as waves are on the server and universal for all. Changing waves requires instance restart (server restart). They were possible during old sea trials because storm map was on a separate server (machine). 

Storms wouldn't be the same without some bigger waves. Is there truly no alternative? I would even settle for specific areas on the map where every battle started in the area is in rough waves with those areas never changing and the rest of the map always being normal. Anything to break up the nearly perfect weather in battle would feel refreshing.

• Like 1

Some facts

• Number of voted players: 94 (yes) + 24 (no) = 118
  • Owner of game: 100000-200000 (impossible get accurate data because steam change their policy)
  • Max online during 7 days on Caribbean server: 558
  • Number of accounts on Caribbean server: 41368
  • Logins on Caribbean server: 3787
  • Number of forum accounts: 26382

@admin

Is these numbers (118/41368*100=0.29%) or (118/3787*100=3.11%) or (118/26382*100=0.45%) enough to say that storm is community chose?

27 minutes ago, qw569 said:

Some facts

• Owner of game: 100000-200000 (impossible get accurate data because steam change their policy)

@admin

Is these numbers (118/41368*100=0.29%) or (118/3787*100=3.11%) or (118/26382*100=0.45%) enough to say that storm is community chose?

Nice job with the math, but it should be enough. Since the players are the ones testing the game, it's up to us to determine what works and what doesn't. If some won't bother to get on the forums to make their opinions known, then that's on them for not participating. 

Stormy weather just for optics does not make much difference content-wise. So if there will be storm in port battle (or any battle instances), it should involve necessary protective measures by players if they don't want to take damage (without enemy doing it): having to sail with reduced sails; facing extreme heeling if not turning over, if not met by lowering more sails; not being able to use lowest battery deck; somewhat slowed down turning ability due to waves - and of course the visibility issues...

• Like 3

I have been in OW battles with rain/fog where view is limited and we can't not see much. I think it is very cool, but the main issue is that players can disengage and escape.. In PB this will not be an issue! So please give me storms in battle :D 
Looks so awesome when you can see a ship kinda far way in the fog or when it appears like a ghost ship 😍 

And we can all access the map, so we are not really blind anyway..! 

3 hours ago, qw569 said:

Some facts

@admin

Storms in port battles poll was to judge opinions. We have not yet made this decision. And just wanted to see the general thoughts from the community.

But it is obvious that even if we ask in game - more people will want storms as well. Perhaps storms weather should appear in instances from time to time - not always - OW time compression can explain why there is storm before the battle and no storm when battle starts.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, admin said:

Storms in port battles poll was to judge opinions. We have not yet made this decision. And just wanted to see the general thoughts from the community.

I think you do not understand what I mean.

The forum is a bad place to make polls and make decisions based on them.

3% cannot represent of all players.

Edited by qw569