Game-Labs Forum

Storm weather in port battles?

Weather in port battles  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want storm weather (heavy fog and rain) to transfer to port battles?

• Yes
    • No

When i vote no for portbattle does it mean there will be no heavy weather at all?

As Oberon said action would be delayed. Ships of the line might not be able to open the lower gunports in such conditions.

Fog .. maybe

Gameplay wise it might help to bypass a heavy screening. But I know many people that are lost when they cannot see. Furthermore the swords would have to be visible even due fog because they are important to enter the Pb.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, z4ys said:

When i vote no for portbattle does it mean there will be no heavy weather at all?

As Oberon said action would be delayed. Ships of the line might not be able to open the lower gunports in such conditions.

Fog .. maybe

Gameplay wise it might help to bypass a heavy screening. But I know many people that are lost when they cannot see. Furthermore the swords would have to be visible even due fog because they are important to enter the Pb.

Who clicks on the swords?  We have folks click on the port buildings as we had folks set battles right on the cross sword.

@admin we are just talking about rain/fog not heavy waves right?

• Like 1

Will there be a hint in api for where when bad weather will occur so it can roughly predicted like the wind can at portbattle start? In this case it could become a really nice feature.

Edited by z4ys

7 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

@admin we are just talking about rain/fog not heavy waves right?

heavy waves are impossible as waves are on the server and universal for all. Changing waves requires instance restart (server restart). They were possible during old sea trials because storm map was on a separate server (machine). 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, admin said:

heavy waves are impossible as waves are on the server and universal for all. Changing waves requires instance restart (server restart). They were possible during old sea trials because storm map was on a separate server (machine). 

rain and heavy fog would be interesting though, even night :D

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Angus MacDuff said:

I'm a "No" on this one.  Historically, an invasion would be planned around the weather and not go forward if it were adverse. 

Battle of Quiberon Bay

"Meeting at the mouth of Quiberon Bay on 21 November, the two fleets closed in on each other. Conflans initially formed a line of battle and prepared to engage, but then changed his mind and his ships raced to take shelter in the bay. Hawke pursued, taking a high risk in the middle of a violent storm, and captured or drove ashore five French ships. "

Invasions wasn't allways done in clear weather

Edited by Guest

Can we make it so storms also appear more frequently in the areas of the map that are most prone to storms for example the Venezuelan coast os pretty famous for having something like 1/3 of the worlds lightning strikes.

It would also be pretty cool to see more weather affecting ships properly, for example heavy weather meaning you can't use the main gun deck on some of the larger ships like bucentuare and the first rates.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

1. You don't need to click swords. All you need is to aim at the port village, docks, somewhere above, you can click through the land, mountains etc. The click area to trigger PB window is pretty big

2. You cannot plan the weather. If someone wants to risk, they can try to attack. If someone is scared or wants to stay safe, they will delay attack or plan on other day and can simply withdraw from PB and not show up.

It should be player choice, not game mechanic choice. Remember we are in sandbox :)

To click you still need to see the town / sword during fog/storm the rendering distance is lower. I just suggested that the sword symbol for pbs is visible regardless of weather conditions and always shows up at same distance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angus MacDuff said:

I'm a "No" on this one.  Historically, an invasion would be planned around the weather and not go forward if it were adverse. 

True.. But we have so much magic in the game anyway.. I'm a yes-man on this one..

1 minute ago, Banished Privateer said:

Suggestion is ok, but clicking on swords really sucks when there are 20 ships around the swords. That's why we click on towns. But why all the clicking? When players are within joining area, PB window should open automatically. 

For many this is pain in the ass, so many players get screened out because they could't click the stupid swords or town. That is also very confusing. PB window should automatically trigger.

I actually agree on this one. Just make it automatic for players from the attacking nation.

3 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Suggestion is ok, but clicking on swords really sucks when there are 20 ships around the swords. That's why we click on towns. But why all the clicking? When players are within joining area, PB window should open automatically. 

For many this is pain in the ass, so many players get screened out because they could't click the stupid swords or town. That is also very confusing. PB window should automatically trigger.

raise the swords maybe 3-4 lengths higher and let the swords change colours from red to white, then you cant miss them

2 hours ago, admin said:

Well we can always test the rain and fog, if it becomes a problem can always remove it.   I mean we are here to test things after all right?

Though I do have to say some times the waves/storms where fun.   If it takes a server restart than maybe you could do special events....>STORMS ALL WEEKEND< and than let it go back to normal or something, just a thought for the future.

• Like 2

While I'd probably be annoyed as hell about it, having a port battle be cancelled because the storms inside are too strong to fight in sounds really f'n cool.  The battles with weather effects in them pre-steam

Clicking swords in general for missions / pbs / battles is annoying and needs to be changed. 

1 hour ago, Wyy said:

Battle of Quiberon Bay

"Meeting at the mouth of Quiberon Bay on 21 November, the two fleets closed in on each other. Conflans initially formed a line of battle and prepared to engage, but then changed his mind and his ships raced to take shelter in the bay. Hawke pursued, taking a high risk in the middle of a violent storm, and captured or drove ashore five French ships. "

Invasions wasn't all ways done in clear weather

There are always exceptions to be sure.  Weather always had a place in the plan, but as we know..."No battle plan survives contact with the enemy.."  or the weather I guess. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Perhaps they wont be able to, changing the tactics for the battle. 

Something unpredicted doesnt mean it is bad.

unpredicted :D

The storm lasts more than an hour and have big radius.

Therefore, one hour before PB, I will know what the weather will be like.

Edited by qw569

15 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

The storms, rain, fogs are moving, so you need to know entire area around port how weather looks like and which way it is moving.

Basic Cutter sail more faster than storm moves.

15 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

@admin one terrible thing about weather visibility is that in goes as 0-1-2. There is nothing inbetween, you either see everything or nothing. It's like moving from one biom to another. When I am outside the "storm biom", I don't see any storms, but clear weather around.  

I met storm like sunny weather -> rain and sun -> storm

BTW

I don't like how implemented storm in game and don't like night too.

Edited by qw569