Game-Labs Forum

Currently when you right click to look down your broadside the gun that the aim is coming from is the forward gun on the top deck. In a few situations that is not the first gun that fires.

obviously if you have rear to front fire mode selected ( I personally have never used this and haven’t talked to anybody that does) the first guns to fire are the rear guns. That is not where the aim is coming from.

If you have front to back fire mode selected (I never use anything else) on some ships that will not be where you are aiming from. For example, the guns on the Top deck on the Wasa starts two thirds back from the front. So when firing front to back the aim is coming from the rear of the ship but the first rounds fired are from the front.

What I suggest is that the aim comes from the first gun that will fire according to the fire mode selected.

• Like 1

I have to disagree.  The captain does not run around on the ship to every gun crew before they fire.  Captain remains where captain remains.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Old Crusty said:

If you have front to back fire mode selected (I never use anything else) on some ships that will not be where you are aiming from. For example, the guns on the Top deck on the Wasa starts two thirds back from the front.

Because it goes by decks, first gun on the upper deck is the aiming range you see. Sometimes I disable the first deck on bigger ships (f1) to get a better idea of where exactly I will be shooting at.

Besides, changing fire modes can be curcial in some engagements, I use it a lot.

But it would be nice to get some more Hotkey options, e.g. Hotkey for adjusting the gunners aiming to the far left / right - sometimes you need to enter gunnery mode and re adjust for a few seconds, which will cost you valuable time of being attentive of the general battle.

• Like 4

Yeah it can be a little odd when you sail a ship with multiple decks and the guns on the lower decks start further toward the bow than the ones on the upper deck. Just keep that in mind (the outermost boundary of the firezone is where the outer limit of where the first gun will aim (not necessarily hit)) and you'll get used to it. Part of "knowing the ship" I guess. Every ship fires a little differently too. For example, Victory has a "missing" gun right in the middle of the broadside that serves as the entry port, so when single-shotting, you have to keep that in mind. Other ships, like Wapen or Ingermanland have enough fore-and-aft curve that the front and rear guns aim a bit differently than ships with less pronounced fore-and-aft curvature. But once you get used to it, it becomes easier and easier to land all your shots on target.

If you change it so that aiming sector follows the firing order, front to back with no regard to decks, that makes aiming individual decks much more complicated than it needs to be.

Simply disable the top deck, fire lower deck(s), re-enable the top deck and fire it. Much of the time, your top deck won't do damage to anything at any reasonable range, so its best left turned off so that the crew doesn't have to reload those guns (a gun not fired is a gun that doesn't have to have crew to reload it). Or simply use "unlocked sector focus-auto" and then you don't have to worry about aiming. Just point and shoot because your gunners will automatically try to make the shots converge onto one point. If all your cannons are the same type (long, medium, carronade, pood), they are quite successful at doing this. But the more you mix gun loadout (on a first rate I'll sometimes run longs, poods, and carronades...thats an interesting beast to aim), the more likely one type of cannon fires off target badly enough to miss completely.

Also:

I don't know who you've been talking to, but the only useless firing mode is "random." :D Seriously though...can we get an option to disable that? It gets in the way. I know of one player who claims its great for when you are broadside-to-broadside with the enemy, but I've never felt a difference when trying that vs rolling front/rear. It doesn't do anything for me besides make pretty screenshots (fire both sides at once with brackets in random fire mode).

I use rolling back fire probably about as often as I use rolling front. As you progress your shooting skills and start rolling broadsides into masts, rakes while turning, etc...you use it more. Example: with some manuevers, your turn rate moves the firezone faster than the ship moves forward, so you use rolling back fire to roll a rake into your enemy's stern or masts. Other times I use it are when I'm turning toward an enemy to bounce his upcoming broadside: I can start a rolling broadside from the stern while turning my ship into the enemy. This will let me quickly angle while still putting out damage. As a bonus, rolling the broadside into him this way makes each cannonball vector connect with his hull at an angle close to 90°.

• Like 2

What we have is a battery of guns without any form of sighting system aimed from a fixed location. Those who have watched Black Sails or Master and Commander will have noted a number of things that differ from what we do in game. 

Firstly engagement ranges are very much shorter, the closer in, the more accurate the cannons are, and the more damage they do.

Secondly every gun had a gun captain  who oversaw the training and elevation of the cannon. Sections of the gun decks were run by Midshipmen, and deck itself usually by a Lieutenant.

Thirdly Cannons could be fired by broadside, rolling broadside, by section, or as the cannons bore on target dependent on circumstances. 

In game we can fire a rolling Broadside from all decks, but not a full simultaneous broadside, (a full, simultaneous broadside, timed correctly, and close aboard, was absolutely devastating even from a 6th rate, it was often the first broadside fired, the other broadsides would be rolling, by section or as the guns bore onto target),   we cannot fire by section, and, firing as you bear can only be done with a single deck before you clear the enemy's side, unless you are able to switch from single shot to rolling broadside as you begin to clear the enemy ship, which takes practice and good timing. Firing as you bear would involve the guns on every deck firing as they bore and not just from a single deck.

All of this is done from a single aiming point for all guns, and I think that the aiming system adapts each gun angle for point of aim but allows for pitch and roll to interfere with accuracy, again the closer you are the better the accuracy, and, naturally, the more damage you can take in return.

I suspect that firing as if every gun was aimed individually would involve a good deal more programming than a rolling broadside, and, very probably, would be impractical in a game, which I am sure the Devs could confirm, I also think that many of us would not be able to put a simultaneous broadside on target without a lot of frustration and practice to get the timing right, more so against a player maneuvering to get enough angle to bounce shots, there are many other factors that would ensure a percentage would bounce or miss even at pistol shot range, but, even if 90% of an 55 gun broadside hitting home at close range simultaneously could do serious damage to structure and morale. 

In truth the Royal Navy were never that accurate, but, relied on getting a faster fire rate, believing, that the more shot you had in the air increased the chances of scoring hits, it may have been true in slow sailing ships, but, it proved to be very expensive in the age of steel.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Liq said:

But it would be nice to get some more Hotkey options, e.g. Hotkey for adjusting the gunners aiming to the far left / right - sometimes you need to enter gunnery mode and re adjust for a few seconds, which will cost you valuable time of being attentive of the general battle.

if you left click on your mouse the direction you're looking e.g. portside you will then change the portside guns to neutral position, it helps abit but I understand what you mean

I often disable all decks apart from the lowest and fire a test shot, good for attempting leaks, if you use the top deck cannon for test shot, the lowest deck may hit in water.