Game-Labs Forum
admin

Patch 26. Spanish Frigate Diana, BR rebalance - Diana is a timed reward.

21 hours ago, Havelock said:

Did you see my post today from the Nassau patrol fight? I repaired at least 6 (!!!) times that battle, without the repair system this fight wouldve been a joke with way less skill involved. Utilizing repairs to tank damage and return it accordingly with better focus plays an important role in modern NA fleet engagements and i like it way more.

We will never agree on this subject man but I do not like the way we are able to turn away and come back into the fight. Its just not the way things were done. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

Multi-repair system will be much better soon when Devs fix mod stacking (including repair mods). Old vets remember officer perk giving second repair for like 8 points? It was a game changer and with repair mods veterans were going rampage.

it wont, havelock and my duel involved 1 repair mod on each ship. Combat carpenter. We still could have dueled for 3 hours if we really wanted. 

2 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Kinda like this? (Cape St. Vincent)

Image result for cape st. vincent John Wilson

I can guarantee you that none of those ships were doing anywhere close to 8 knots.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, admin said:

In terms of in game availability.. Both ships will remain in game, old USS constitution model has some sentimental value as it is one of the first 3 ships that appeared in game.

Rename the old Connie and change the color of it. Maybe even a poll with names :) 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Lets remember that ships are never really "stopped" given the fact that the *average* deep-water ocean current is approx. 1.5 m/s, or 3 knots.

Hmmmmm…..  I wonder if that is close to the number approximated for leeway, with a static wind factored in...?

Soooo....  Many....  Numbers....

I think your figures for average ocean currents are a bit exaggerated, yes some of the major ocean currents can exceed 3 knot in places but in general in the open sea currents are a lot lower than that and given that we are talking about relative speeds here it does not really matter what speed the current is going.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Capn Rocko said:

@sounthernrebel78 game is not pay to win. DLC ships are easily killed by normal ships and even more easier now with this patch. 

I did not say it was pay to win only that was a path in which could happen. Until there is a 1st or 2nd rate DLC the game will never be pay to win. 

18 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

We will never agree on this subject man but I do not like the way we are able to turn away and come back into the fight. Its just not the way things were done. 

I remember the old days where you got one repair per battle. Those days a lot of skill was need to decide when to pop your repair and how to not take less dmg then you could give. Now battles are based on repair timers and trying to take advantage the cool down. The upside to the repair system is that it allows for longer engagements which does have its bonuses as well as its drawbacks. 

Arguing about the repair system is mute at this point. Its most likely here to stay. 

1 hour ago, William Death said:

I can't help but feel we're trying to address a small issue here (hull hugging and stern camping that most players *should* know how to counter), but creating bigger issues with far more devastating consequences.

A quick note about "historical" accuracy... "historically" (and now...and 200 years from now....) there was no way to stop a ship, weighing hundreds of tons, moving away from your own ship at any rate of speed more than a crawl with grapples and handropes.

Agreed on the approach creating far more problems that it solves, and the shortsightedness involved.

But I disagree about the stopping of a ship. What we are simulating here is not just the effect of hand ropes and grapples but of the catastrophic entanglement of yards and rigging that would occur at less than half a ship length in distance.  So there's that to consider in the "accuracy" department (of which I'd say we really shouldn't be all that concerned with since we're playing a sailing game sitting behind a monitor with Netflix on in the background, not standing at the capstan with teeth falling out from scurvy and decks awash with the blood of our comrades...).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

There's a way... but would we like to have Morale to be a rule and eventually "strike" ?

Yes.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Teutonic said:

Requin and herc won't be able to hug large ships and attack without issues anymore.

I think the primary point that everyone is missing is that hugging was only ever an issue for inexperienced players.  If you were getting hugged to death, you're likely still going to be a player that's getting raked over the coals with the new meta. 

And now the game is broken along lines that are enhancing the side of the gameplay and simulation that is absolutely the weakest (boarding) while downplaying the role and skill that has been focused on the most heavily: pew pew.

And worst of all, this will come at the expense of lowering the diversity of PvP-viable ships. I predict it will be a race to the fastest, most-crew-heavy, boarding fit ships. Lighter ships will disappear once again from PvP setups which is a huge shame.

Edited by Wraith
  • Like 2

The devs want to end the possibility of a Hercules hug a Santi and wreck her to pieces with carros, and we are thankful for that, but opened other problems. It's the dance of one step foward and one back.

5 minutes ago, Wraith said:

And worst of all, this will come at the expense of lowering the diversity of PvP-viable ships. I predict it will be a race to the fastest, most-crew-heavy, boarding fit ships. Lighter ships will disappear once again from PvP setups which is a huge shame.

For the most part, yes. I still think brawling setups are still a viabale option. I'll be experimenting. 

3 minutes ago, Capn Rocko said:

For the most part, yes. I still think brawling setups are still a viabale option. I'll be experimenting. 

But they'll still have to be heavy ships, or a swarm of ships capable of pinning a larger ship to stop and chain board, which will still require at least one ship with enough crew and defensive boarding mods to not die.  Brawling from 250+ m with the current angle/thickness/pen setups is a non-thing in my experience, at least in the OW.

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Yes. Just like PvP zone RoE, Wasa, mods, ships in general, thickness .............

First you need some data. Feelings are most of the time a lie. Data takes time to be meaningful.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I think the primary point that everyone is missing is that hugging was only ever an issue for inexperienced players. 

Which is...the majority of us. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, z4ys said:

First you need some data. Feelings are most of the time a lie. Data takes time to be meaningful.

agreed

However you dont need to wait 10 months to fix some numbers. Im not talking about perfect balance, just gamebreaking very obvious stuff which can be solved just by changing some numbers. Sadly thats how it seems to work here. They look at a topic, do what they think is best and move on without looking back at it for months .

Edited by Jon Snow lets go
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, admin said:

There were no ropes and no-one pulled in aggressive non consensual boardings. Ships got alongside each other pushing bowsprit into rigging or just rigging into rigging and got entangled. Nothing got torn out. 8 knots its just 15km/h in water. Pulling is needed in game because physx cannot do math on proper rigging entanglement without lowering FPS to 0

PhysX is NVIDIA technology.

Does this mean that NVIDIA cards are more preferable for Naval Action?

On 9/17/2018 at 7:05 AM, Fluffy Fishy said:

That is very interesting, I have long had suspicions that the 13kn often stated as constitution's top speed was rather dubious, I'm also interested to know if the 12-13kn quotations are her flying studdings too.

I just struggle to beleive a ship built as heavily as she is with such weighty woods would be nearly as spritely as people often beleive her to be, especially considering how much mass she had in the water, sadly however I haven't seen data either way to confirm or deny my suspicions. I have however seen quite a few reports looking at her and her two sisters disappointing speed and handling during their first years of sailing and how much work went into improvong both these characteristics.

The more I look into her performance and architecture the more i doubt her status as a frigate at all and the more she looks like a new breed of 50 gun ship with more modern dimensions ironing out some of the flaws of the old 50s similarly as do the ships who follow her style into the 19th century.

Your skepticism is misplaced.

13 kts as the highest recorded speed comes from the Constitution Museum, which is a more authoritative source than any individual book written about her.

Also, no one is going to make 13 knots when flying studdingsails, because you only use stuns'ls when the wind is too light reach your best speed anyway. Constitution was a big, powerful ship and would have made her records in a stiff breeze of over 15 kts, just like the line of battle ships that are recorded to have made 12 and 13 kts. Are you skeptical about those reports too?

You are using painfully videogame-inflected logic when you cast doubt on the weight of the live oak. These are not airplanes. Weight does not matter. It just makes your draft deeper, and all these large warships are designed to be laden deep and sailed hard. Some extra heft helps you out with it comes to slamming through the seas. The Lively-class frigates sailed worse as their center of gravity became higher.

At the end of the day, size is the close companion of speed. Any large, well-found ship with a 3.5:1 length:breadth ratio and a high sail area:displacement ratio ought to be a flyer, even if she has a very deep draft due to weighty construction. In the 19th Century the cargos only got bigger and the drafts deeper, but the speeds doubled.

I have however seen quite a few reports looking at her and her two sisters disappointing speed and handling during their first years of sailing and how much work went into improvong both these characteristics.

And yet there is a log entry recording a speed of 14 kts over a several hour period. This in the Med, a decade of more after the end of the War of 1812.

There is a clear-cut record of a new design with significant teething problems that were resolved in time. The first British razees and the French 24-pounder frigates went through the same process.

The more I look into her performance and architecture the more i doubt her status as a frigate at all and the more she looks like a new breed of 50 gun ship with more modern dimensions ironing out some of the flaws of the old 50s similarly as do the ships who follow her style into the 19th century.

But Fama is a two-decker super frigate, right?

• Like 2

On 9/17/2018 at 8:06 AM, Sir Malachy Karrde said:

I've sailed on her when she was pulling 13.2 in a light breeze, and then in a post to someone else, state a log entry someone else found of her doing 15 knots. Seems you are just butt hurt because an American super frigate was better than anything the Brits came up with to combat her. 

No you didn't, unless you want to let me borrow your time machine.

Constitution has only sailed outside the confines of Boston harbor once in living memory. She set her topsails in mild weather and made 4-6 kts (perfectly respectable in those conditions). Are you sure you want to claim that an 18th Century warship was sailing faster than the wind?

I think you need to accept that you have very little expertise in this topic.

I live two hours from Boston and have toured Constitution several times. It's always a great trip, but I could name a few factual errors the Navy guides have made just in my experience, so it's not much of a claim to authority. Your accusations of bias are extremely petulant and shabby and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Edit:

This is a great read. https://ussconstitutionmuseum.org/2017/08/04/eagle-of-the-seas/

In 1997 she made 4.5 kts under topsails alone in 7 kts of breeze. In case anyone cared to doubt her record for ghosting along in light airs and outrunning British pursuers. Some ships would barely be moving, if you refer to windspeed tables compiled by Boudriot.

And really, if the ship were really an overweight pig, pinned down by the supposedly prodigious mass of all that live oak, certainly a light breeze would be when you would notice the defect?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, William Death said:

I can't help but feel we're trying to address a small issue here (hull hugging and stern camping that most players *should* know how to counter), but creating bigger issues with far more devastating consequences

Cough, cough....

You nailed it mate,but is this really something new? :)

9 hours ago, admin said:
  • Boarding max speed increased to 8 knots (previously around 4 knots). 
    • speed difference between your ship and enemy ship was lowered and now cannot exceed 5 knots to board (previously it was 8 knots).
    • Both vessels must sail below 8 knots.

Test failed, i would say.

Every ship max boarding fitted. 😞

• Like 1