Game-Labs Forum

Repairing Suggestion

Greetings,

i belive current repair system is completly broken its too good and magical my suggestion:

1.)Hull repairs:

-In battle: Hull repairs should not be here too repair hull but only for sealing leaks you cannot repair planking and structure during battle.

-In OW: Hull repairs should only fix 10%-20% of armor and structure but never back to 100% this should only be done in shipyards.

2.)Rig repairs:

-in battle: Rig repairs should only fix 10% to 20% in battle no matter of the amount of rig repairs onboard and if mast falls its lost and cannot be repaired.

-In OW: Sails can be repaired fully but mast should only be repaired when you are stationary and consumes alot of rig repairs.

3.)Rum and free crew:

-In battle: Rum should be disabled no replenishment of crew in battle

-In OW: Rum should only replanish 50% of crew loss in if you want too fully replenish you need to dock in your national port.Ability too relocate free crew to your ship out of nowere should be gone

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Lovec1990 said:

2.)Rig repairs:

-in battle: Rig repairs should only fix 10% to 20% in battle no matter of the amount of rig repairs onboard and if mast falls its lost and cannot be repaired.

As long as you can "snipe" mast it's not possible. Battles would be all about who shoots down opponent mast first.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Lovec1990 said:

1.)Hull repairs:

-In OW: Hull repairs should only fix 10%-20% of armor and structure but never back to 100% this should only be done in shipyards.

Also not possible, imagine sailing half the caribbean, spend hours finding an opponent. Maybe have a good battle and after that you need to sail all the way back to repair?.

Ideas are not bad, just difficult to work with the current game mechanics.

Edited by Po Tsai

3 minutes ago, Po Tsai said:

As long as you can "snipe" mast it's not possible. Battles would be all about who shoots down opponent mast first.

Are not battles all about mast sniping now? well i f we decrease accuracy over distance it will migate issue.

3 minutes ago, Po Tsai said:

Also not possible, imagine sailing half the caribbean, spend hours finding an opponent. Maybe have a good battle and after that you need to sail all the way back to repair?.

Sorry but i simply cannot see how would crew be able too fully fix ships hull in open water

18 minutes ago, Lovec1990 said:

Are not battles all about mast sniping now? well i f we decrease accuracy over distance it will migate issue.

Sorry but i simply cannot see how would crew be able too fully fix ships hull in open water

Yes i agree, accuracy should decrease greatly over distance.

Crew fully fix in open water is unrealistic i agree, but.. too much realism and game wouldn't be playable.

1 minute ago, Po Tsai said:

Crew fully fix in open water is unrealistic i agree, but.. too much realism and game wouldn't be playable.

Game is advertised in being hardcore more realism is good.

Besides this kind of repair idea will force raiders too be more careful raiders rarely willingly engaged warships but insteda they targeted trade ships.

1 hour ago, Lovec1990 said:

Good ideas but;

I sail very long distances 30- 60 min on open sea in an endevour to find pvp without short trip to capital/reinforcment waters for easy fights.

With your suggestion as @Po Tsai said one good battle and I have to sail home again ?

No one would do that. I would go to capital waters all the time instead of now and then.

1 minute ago, Crow said:

Good ideas but;

I sail very long distances 30- 60 min on open sea in an endevour to find pvp without short trip to capital/reinforcment waters for easy fights.

With your suggestion as @Po Tsai said one good battle and I have to sail home again ?

No one would do that. I would go to capital waters all the time instead of now and then.

not if you do not take much damage

54 minutes ago, Lovec1990 said:

If you make mast repair impossible in battle, it will be a problem even when accuracy is very low. I will always shoot masts then, as ship without masts is dead. 

Shooting a bellona from a bellona with a bit of luck I can get 12 penetrating mast hits from a single volley now. If you decrease accuracy, from a short distance I will get 8 (unless you remove unlocked sector, which will be a problem for rakers) . After three volleys bellona will lose 1-2 masts anyway. Imagine how people who didn't train doing this would rage. 

If you decrease accuracy more, it will be impossible to shoot a ship with longs on a distance of 500m without using mods. 

I get you're point, but it wouldn't work. Also time dilatation in game makes repairs much more reasonable than people think. 

Delaying time between repairs or lowering their efficiency could be good though, game would be less of a time race then. 

Edited by vazco
  • Like 6

25 minutes ago, vazco said:

I get you're point, but it wouldn't work. Also time dilatation in game makes repairs much more reasonable than people think. 

Delaying time between repairs or lowering their efficiency could be good though, game would be less of a time race then. 

totally agree

21 hours ago, Lovec1990 said:

2.)Rig repairs:

-In OW: Sails can be repaired fully but mast should only be repaired when you are stationary and consumes alot of rig repairs.

In documentary feature films, I saw that ships also had spare pylons on board. So a repair in OW would be possible. But maybe you could fix them to only 70% strength. After all, it is a "provisional".

Even in combat I would allow this with "a lot of rig repair". As mentioned in another thread, the fight times are sometimes 1-2 days real time. This sometimes includes maneuvers in which perhaps no combat took place for 3-4 hours.

(German texts are always translated with the help of Google.) 

In dokumentarischen Spielfilmen sah ich, dass Schiffe auch Ersatzmasten an Bord hatten. Also wäre eine Reparatur in OW möglich. Man könnte diese aber vielleicht auf nur 70% Stärke reparieren lassen. Schließlich ist es ein "Provisorium".

Auch im Kampf würde ich dieses mit "viel Rigg-Reparatur" zulassen. Wie in einem anderem Thread schon mal erwähnt, entsprechen die Kampfzeiten manchmal 1-2 Tage Realzeit. Dieses schließt auch mal Manöver mit ein, in denen vielleicht mal keine Kampfhandlungen für 3-4 Stunden stattfanden.

Edited by JoeFried
Formulierung
  • Like 1

I think that repairs at the moment are a(nother) mechanic in total favour of more experienced captains with better ships against casuals.

As long as repairs stay as now we will get always kiting battles... that's a technique mostly used by experienced captains on very good (fast mainly) ships. Subpar ships cannot kite and less malicious players do not know how to do.

OT proposal looks even too harsh.

Personally I'd say:

- Get back to repair kits (to make it simpler loadout) rebalancing production cost both LHs and material wise.

- 1 Hull, 1 Rig, 1 Rum use per battle.

- In OW a ship can repair but on a CD (like 10 minutes) using each time 1 repair kit: a very damaged ship will no be able to instantly get back to full.

- In OW a ship can repair multiple times (so without triggering CD) if it's still and in shallow water (so going to the coast, stop, then repair multiple times).

- Moving crew (Enterprise like crew teleport) in OW at sea should be totally banned.

Someone keep saying this will hit casuals even more.

I think exactly the contrary: raiding vets sail expensive ships, and unlikely happy to lose one.

In combat probably they will disengage after the first heavy hit on sails (having only one rig repair... a second bad hit will cripple them for the rest of battle) or very soon after being badly damaged to hull (at risk at sinking if unable to disengage).

Moreover in enemy waters the limits to OW repairs will oblige them to take into consideration their conditions when leaving the battle.

Furthermore being in high seas and afar from friendly ports will become (as reasonable) an issue.

I arrive to say that even cancelling AI reinforcements from safe zone, but keeping safezone battles opened for defending side, above changes to repairs will be frightening for raiders: being damaged could mean others will come and you'll be dead... and being too damaged will mean than even if you disengage, you'll risk seriously to be attacked over and over until sinking.

Skill as usual will matter. BUT there'll not be possible anymore for a single (or small group) of skilled and well geared players overcome far bigger fleets.

The "usual" 1v3 that now can end often with the single veteran smashing the 3 casuals... will end with 1-2 casual dead, but the veteran too.

PS: demasting could become a serious issue. Some rebalancing in masts thickness/HPs coupled with reduced mid-long range precision (as it should be) would solve the problem.

I suggested in the past to approximately double all masts HPs - making demasting between same size ship not really viable - but mast HP reduced as per sail damage% (simulating the growing damages to lines, ropes so having a more and more unstable mast).

This way demast would work as now (still with may be increased mast thickness) IF target sails are at 50%

PPS: banning crew teleport will have another balancing effect: boarding ships will be usually able to handle 1-2 battles... before to have to get back home, having lost too many men to be able to properly board again.

Edited by Licinio Chiavari
PS+PPS
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, vazco said:

If you make mast repair impossible in battle, it will be a problem even when accuracy is very low. I will always shoot masts then, as ship without masts is dead. 

Shooting a bellona from a bellona with a bit of luck I can get 12 penetrating mast hits from a single volley now. If you decrease accuracy, from a short distance I will get 8 (unless you remove unlocked sector, which will be a problem for rakers) . After three volleys bellona will lose 1-2 masts anyway. Imagine how people who didn't train doing this would rage. 

If you decrease accuracy more, it will be impossible to shoot a ship with longs on a distance of 500m without using mods. 

^^^^ This exactly.

I "mast snipe" (what a silly name for it) to demast, but even if the accuracy was nerfed to the point where "sniping" became useless (and if you nerf to that point you've already lost the ability to hit the side of a first rate at 500m), I could simply use full broadside demasting tactics and roll the entire broadside into the masts. An excellent first rate vs first rate rolling broadside to masts yields 15-30 penetrating hits. An average broadside is fewer hits, sure...maybe 12-15 as Vazco says but that simply means you need a few more rakes to accomplish the demasting. 

I certainly like the idea that when a mast is gone, its gone, but there will be so much whining and complaining from noobs who will refuse to run mast mods. Its simply not worth it. Leave mast repair as it is, average players don't have the forethought to plan repairs out so they end up losing a mast with an 8-10 minute timer before the next repair and its usually GG.

I'd suggest the following repair changes:

1x hull rep, 1x rig rep. No crew repair.         Re-implement built in repairs: every ship can carry 10x kits that you simply fill up in port. They are weightless and available in any port in unlimited supply. Additional hull and rig repairs can be carried in the hold to extend the amount of time one can cruise.

It was silly, IMO, to move away from that old repair system when there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. I doubt I'm alone when I say that 2016 duels (and any other kind of engagement) were more skill-based and more enjoyable (not to mention "realistic") than the current mod-meta & repair every 12 minutes crap that we have now.

• Like 3

Had a battle today with First and Third rate ships. Battle lasted 90 minutes and because of running, hiding, and repairing multiple times, none of the SOL were sunk. On my side we lost a couple rookies in fifth rates that thought they could exchange Broadsides with Bellonas. So the Enemy got a few PvP marks for their efforts, my side got ZIP. 

If multiple repairs were taken away there would have been a lot more casualties and therefore a lot more rewards received for the battle.

I personally think that using repairs multiple times in battle is hurting the game.

• Like 2

Repairs at it is now has a secondary, more "important" mechanic.

Hold weight - which the repairs and rum also contribute to - which translates itself in ship handling, acceleration, speed, etc.

A complete reversal to the limited repairs means all ship handling must be done, and for NA that is a lot of recode - all lines in the ships, all canvas sheets, roll, yaws, etc.

Having endured both system I have absolute no preference, as both have their merits.

Most important is what Crusty points out - more casualties. But the "cargo based" repairs also influences abilities of ships for long cruises survival ( but i think not many do these anymore ).

Neither of the systems has proven its worth regarding the willingness to fight being superior to the need of escaping battle.

Whatever reward the average NA proves that safety is paramount, hence more running and win by successful escape than trying to win by combat.