Game-Labs Forum

Safe zone PVP problem !!

1 minute ago, Lovec1990 said:

Forcing is a wrong move what we need is something shiny outside too lure people out two examples:

1.)Shipwrecks: instead of Sealed bottles ship wrecks should be randomly placed around the map so when wreck its looted id reapears on random location after maitanence so people sailing outside, can spot her and location is logged on map if you check its loot so you can jump home to get a trader, but untill shipwreck is looted everyone can spot it visualy. in my opinion this will make people roam open waters and actualy look around and not afk sailing and fishing while doing chores, showering,...

1.)Abondned ship this one should be rare compared to shipwreck sometimes you could find heavy damaged ship that still floats you could then capture her and tow her into port

Perhaps "guide" is a better way to phrase it.  Good MMOs organically push their players outside of capital zones / starting regions and prod them to explore the world.  NA has nothing like that.  

• Like 2

Just now, Christendom said:

Perhaps "guide" is a better way to phrase it.  Good MMOs organically push their players outside of capital zones / starting regions and prod them to explore the world.  NA has nothing like that.  

Exploration could be also added:

you sail too edge of map where you will be asked do you want too explore and you could explore find new stuff like new island, new resources,.. 

3 minutes ago, Lovec1990 said:

Exploration could be also added:

you sail too edge of map where you will be asked do you want too explore and you could explore find new stuff like new island, new resources,.. 

same area to explore at same timing for different nation can done some pvp content in this pvp server

Edited by Eskiwit

I feel like the best way around the issue of "I want PvP and capital waters are just where the players are" and "Stop ganking new players because then they don't continue playing" is to remove the safe zone benefits for the higher levels. If you manage to stick with the game long enough to become even a Post Captain, you ought to know enough of what you're doing to survive. Tie safe zones to the only people that actually need them and I am pretty sure this will solve the issue. Anything above that is someone who only wants to PvP when it's convenient for them, but that's not how life/this game is designed. You'll still have forts and AI fleets to run to if you're lucky, but that should be it.

1 minute ago, Galt said:

I feel like the best way around the issue of "I want PvP and capital waters are just where the players are" and "Stop ganking new players because then they don't continue playing" is to remove the safe zone benefits for the higher levels. If you manage to stick with the game long enough to become even a Post Captain, you ought to know enough of what you're doing to survive. Tie safe zones to the only people that actually need them and I am pretty sure this will solve the issue. Anything above that is someone who only wants to PvP when it's convenient for them, but that's not how life/this game is designed. You'll still have forts and AI fleets to run to if you're lucky, but that should be it.

Your rank has nothing to do with your ability to survive. Unless there was a way to measure pvp ability. 

I suggested this before on another thread (a long time ago...in a galaxy far away).  New players to begin the game on PVE server.  give them a bunch of missions that will increase their rank and teach them the basics (tutorial plus).  No final exam though, cause some people just cant pass that thing.  After they achieve the rank of LCdr (or something suitable), the PVP server unlocks.  I actually spent a week on the PVE server when I began the game and it taught me a lot.  Get rid of green zones on the PVP server entirely.

1 minute ago, Oberon74 said:

I suggested this before on another thread (a long time ago...in a galaxy far away).  New players to begin the game on PVE server.  give them a bunch of missions that will increase their rank and teach them the basics (tutorial plus).  No final exam though, cause some people just cant pass that thing.  After they achieve the rank of LCdr (or something suitable), the PVP server unlocks.  I actually spent a week on the PVE server when I began the game and it taught me a lot.  Get rid of green zones on the PVP server entirely.

This is always a bad idea because a vast number of players are going to get turned off by the absolutely boring pve that this game has and the pve server is dead. You will turn off more people than you help get into the game.

My first experience with this game was getting sunk outside MT.

1 minute ago, Flinch said:

This is always a bad idea because a vast number of players are going to get turned off by the absolutely boring pve that this game has and the pve server is dead. You will turn off more people than you help get into the game.

My first experience with this game was getting sunk outside MT.

That's why I only lasted a week.  But if they had some tasks to perform to open the PVP server, I think it would be fine.

3 hours ago, Christendom said:

The issue is not the safe zones.  I'd even suggest the zones are not safe enough and new players constantly getting their AI battles jumped is an even bigger reason why so few stick around in the game.  

The real issue is twofold

1 - We don't have a sustainable population.  We have a large map with a lot of areas on the map where you won't see a single player for days.  This is a PVP game.  You need players to kill.  Where are the players?  Capitals.  If the game had 1000-1500 players on at a time the water would be much more crowded and safe zone ganking would be a suicide mission.  Also with more players clans would be competing over more player owned ports and it would naturally spread more players on the map.  

2 - Lack of content that forces players out of the zone.  Players can pretty much do everything inside the safe zones EXCEPT craft gold and purp ships.  Which was a recent change.  There are no mechanics or missions that really take them anywhere outside the zones.  If you're not an RVR player or a PVPer with outposts on the map you really have no reason to leave.  Casuals don't leave the zones  - PVPers want to  hunt - Lots of players in zones.  

So TLDR - We need more people and more content.

Spot On

* I think removing safe zones completely would be a better move, after all they are useless in current form.

* Spawn new players at a random national port so there is no concentration of new players.

* Make trade routes viable to none capital ports, diversify trade selling/buying points so not all head for nation capitals and selling ports are around map. Meaning nations would ned to hold both a buy port and sell port for a good or they "smuggle".

* Make possible to capture ALL ports on map, except last one a nation has so possible for a nation to be reduced to one port.

* With added risk again, make loot drops as they were pre safe zone.

* Perhaps make below flag captain rank not able to be tagged instead and unable to fleet ships at that rank and below to stop Alt abuse trading etc. Sure will mean clans can move goods with low rank players, but would at least make them feel useful in some way at low rank. Would also allow them "breathing space" to trade up some gold and get a buffer before the wolves descend.

Basically Capital "rienforced zones" are as useless as a chocolate teapot as they stand, do away with them and spread playerbase. What we have here in NA happens in many games spawn camping, and as with other games it becomes kinda toxic.

Edited by Dibbler

6 hours ago, Assassin said:
I believe the large restrictions in the safe zones is a big contribute for pvp players leaving the game.
Remove them would bet the best thing to do. I have chat /talked to many players in the game and I would say 99% don't like the way it is to day.
One way to "fix" the problem could be to greatly improve the (all) town's port defense in PVP battles to increase the safety for players.

Just an idea:-)

May I ask whom you want to hunt if the "safe" zones get even less safe?

The solution lies in making it more attractive, even required, to leave the safe zones if a player wants to continue progression in game, not in making it easier for you to kill new players or even the higher ranking player who only has time to log on for 1/2 hour to do a mission.

3 hours ago, Flinch said:

Your rank has nothing to do with your ability to survive. Unless there was a way to measure pvp ability. 

Not true at all. A Rear Admiral automatically has an advantage over a Ensign just because, even if they are in the same ship, they almost certainly know how to maneuver it better, know what it's gun meta is,figured out how to manual sail, outfitted it with good mods, etc. 

Now if you're a Rear Admiral and you can't do even a few of those things, then you either must not have earned your rank legitimately or you're just not good and deserve to be sunk anyways. You can tell who will be a good sailor pretty early. I am not saying that I am even a competent captain (just ask my clan,) but at least I make an effort to improve by solo hunting and watching how better captains play. If you lose everything (Like I have, more than once) don't get mad, get even. 

Higher ranks have no reason to have a safe zone other than they just aren't good and don't want to play until it's convenient for them (RvR, PvP zones, overwhelming force on their side, etc.) 

Edited by Galt

On 8/26/2018 at 6:43 PM, NethrosDefectus said:

What about? (...) not allow missions above master and commander to be taken at non capture-able ports?

Oh we tested something slightly similar time ago. Missions were never in the "home region", you'd select the region for the mission and the region was never the one you were in nor the capital one IIRC 

You force the players, they will quit. Instead you need to give them breathing space.

Make big pve nation, let the players enjoy the game there, where they can only attack other nations in a big reinforcement zone. In this pve nation rewards are low, they have to grind hard even to get 5th rate ships, xp income is low, gold income is low. Let them enjoy the game, let them learn the game. After some rank, M&C exam, they are free to switch to other nations, a text will tell them what to expect, what worse can happen. And they should have a chance to return to pve nation if they do not like "the real game".

I am sure this will keep the numbers in, give them some nice missions, pve content etc. The end game will be the other nations.

In the reinforcement zone, enemy should not have positional join advantage, they should be joining like out of greenzone, but zone owners can join positionaly. Currently reinforcement zone can be trap for owners of the zone.

• Like 1