Game-Labs Forum

Gettysburg - Corps variation question

LAVA

I've watched Col Kelly's Gettysburg video and on the first day he has 14 brigades from 1st Corps and 13 brigades from 2nd Corps in the battle. 27 brigades in total. I have watched Mulcremin's video and he has 14 brigades from 1st Corps and 14 brigades from 2nd Corps for 28 in total. 

When I have played Gettysburg, in my first Legendary campaign I had 11 brigades from 1st Corps and 11 from 2nd Corps for a total of 22 brigades. In my second campaign, I had 9 brigades from 1st Corps and 13 brigades from 2nd Corps for a total of 22.

So my question, why do these other folks have 27 to 28 brigades show up to the beginning of Gettysburg and the most I ever have was 22?

7 minutes ago, LAVA said:

I've watched Col Kelly's Gettysburg video and on the first day he has 14 brigades from 1st Corps and 13 brigades from 2nd Corps in the battle. 27 brigades in total. I have watched Mulcremin's video and he has 14 brigades from 1st Corps and 14 brigades from 2nd Corps for 28 in total. 

When I have played Gettysburg, in my first Legendary campaign I had 11 brigades from 1st Corps and 11 from 2nd Corps for a total of 22 brigades. In my second campaign, I had 9 brigades from 1st Corps and 13 brigades from 2nd Corps for a total of 22.

So my question, why do these other folks have 27 to 28 brigades show up to the beginning of Gettysburg and the most I ever have was 22?

In my experimentation with the Union order of battle on Shiloh on the first phase, there seems to be some sort of correlation between brigade size and the maximum amount of brigades that appear in the beginning, e.g. The larger the brigade size, the fewer the brigades

40 minutes ago, LAVA said:

Did they bring more total brigades in each corps than you did? If Gettysburg is configured similarly to the Union Shiloh deployments and you had fewer brigades in your corps that would explain the difference.

38 minutes ago, BCH said:

In my experimentation with the Union order of battle on Shiloh on the first phase, there seems to be some sort of correlation between brigade size and the maximum amount of brigades that appear in the beginning, e.g. The larger the brigade size, the fewer the brigades

At Union Shiloh the first deployment phase doesn't use a set number of brigades. Instead it takes half of I corps and then you get reinforced by 25% of II corps. This means that bringing more total brigades in I corps gets you extra units in the first phase. For example, if you have 20 units in I corps you will start with 10 units in phase one. If you only bring 16, you start with 8. I didn't do very much testing around this so I don't know what happens if you don't bring a 2nd corps or if any other battles are setup this way.

21 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Yes, if flip which corps is deployed where it would be reversed. In my example I corps refers to the corps in the left deployment slot. II corps the right deployment slot.

interesting..

I am going to try somethings later today.

1 hour ago, pandakraut said:

Did they bring more total brigades in each corps than you did?

Dunno, but I ran a test and sure enough it has to do with the number of brigades you bring per Corps.  If 1st Corps has 20 brigades, 14 will show up on the battlefield. If 2nd Corps has 15 brigades, 15 will show up on the battlefield. The amount of men per brigade does not matter.

I wonder if Chickamauga day 2 also works this way in determining what shows up when? Though I guess the corps are usually maxed out by then anyways.

If the brigade deployment numbers are not percentage based in that battle then you could save money/recruits by not outfitting the brigades that only show up on day 3. Or shift your damaged day 1 brigades into those slots.

More or less, though little round top has the VP flag. That's my preferred option as well. Bypass the Peach Orchard entirely, walk around the base of Big round top, and take the VP from behind. Then just hold them from the waves of reinforcements. Just don't forget about the division that spawns directly in your rear.

Fill up your corps then

6 hours ago, LAVA said:

You get more brigades if you bring 24 brigades per corps. Since you can switch between days, this shouldnt be a problem.

Easy way for D2 Victory is to have Snipers in your first division. They will reach LRT faster than Chamberlain. Dont bring more than 2 24pdr. you can hold LRT with 3 infantry brigades 1 sniper flanking from the southwest and 1 gun.  Sneak 2-3 snipers through the gap between the woods and the eastern mapborder and wipe out the artillery up to the 2nd VP. Dont forget to prepare for sedgewick.