Game-Labs Forum

PVP MARKS and PLAYER RETENTION

6 minutes ago, Flash Jack said:

I agree. But you missed what the suggestion was about. It is not about the green zone hunters.

Its about new players and losers so they would benefit. Its about battles with no conclusion, its about good players having a viable option for getting rewards without sinking the seal.

At the moment they get nothing and the seals still get clubbed!

Like i said it won't make any difference whatever you do with rewards.

I mention green zones because they are totally useless.... because the same guys hunting there complain they can't find targets outside capital zones. I felt sorry for the US over last few months it has been brutal up there, KPR has always been bad but man the DLC ships are there 24/7 lol is a joke.

Now i can cope, i have fast ships know how to escape and how to fight. I have book of five rings, slots opened on ships etc and mods coming out my ass and ability to make any ship i want.

Truth is green zones need to be stronger to protect newer guys, maybe make it so can't be attacked below a certain rank.

When i last logged in spent 3 hours running after req's hitting new guys, and quite frankly i can't be arsed to do it anymore.  I have other games to play and if devs want population to shrink then let it. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

It also breeds terribad behavior like @William Death swooping in to do that last broadside of damage to kill steal from his clan mates.  For shame. ;)

Hey don't worry, you too will one day be as pro as I am. Able to quickly sail in, punch hard & steal the kill, then kite away, letting you guys sit back and soak up damage or fall victim to the counter gank. :D

Its already rubbed off on @Christendom, because in a battle the other day I saw him run alongside a Bellona, hit it with double then flip around real quick for that second hit. Would have worked too if I hadn't already gotten 2 doubles into him :P

Joking aside, I think awarding PvP marks to the losing side, based on the damage they did, would be good for the game. It would encourage the enemy to fight back more, always a good thing.

Furthermore, scaling the PvP marks awarded to both sides by BR advantage/disadvantage would be good.

Imagine this: 5x speed Bellonas tag a lone player in a Victory. The Victory is dead--no question. But if the Victory fights hard and does significant damage to those Bellonas, he'll be rewarded. And with that kind of BR disadvantage, his PvP mark reward for the battle could even be higher than the Bellona squad (fighting a lower BR = less marks for them).

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Flash Jack said:

I agree. But you missed what the suggestion was about. It is not about the green zone hunters.

Its about new players and losers so they would benefit. Its about battles with no conclusion, its about good players having a viable option for getting rewards without sinking the seal.

At the moment they get nothing and the seals still get clubbed!

They still won't get anything, current meta is rage board with hammocks,crew space, light ship hammocks req.

So boarding fitted req with 300+ crew will nail anything from less experienced guys while taking minimal damage.  Bigger ship has more crew but gets stern raked and boarded, mid ship will just get boarded, small ship well...  older players know how to stop boarding but new guys will still get next to nothing.

Maybe i'm wrong and hope i am, but things at moment are silly.

4 hours ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

Nice ships aren't dirt cheap, their mods are even more expensive, and money grows from hours of sailing transporting useless junk from A to B or from hours of PVE battles that are boring because the AI always fights the same way and always dies upwind of you.  Hours that go into a ship that's lost in a few minutes.

that's what makes the game fun. is that you can take crap from other people and that you get your crap taken. no one said you have to be in a nice ship. in order to play the game you have to be in a ship. honestly crappy ships are more fun to play with because even if you loose it doesn't matter. ask the dutch guy that made 300mill in less than a week of gameplay how cheap everything is. and he is a newb. the game is good because of the risk. 

4 hours ago, Dibbler said:

They still won't get anything, current meta is rage board with hammocks,crew space, light ship hammocks re

Your point has nothing to do with the PVP combat reward system. In the example I gave have neither of us was boarded.

I was sunk last night. No boarding involved.

This is about rewarding inclusive play for all involved and encouraging better play from players to reduce salt and thus increase player retention. As others have stated the current system forces you to sink eveything or get get nothing and encourages crappy play.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, speijk said:

Crow is right 

1. Both parties should always receive combat marks and money for the dmg they have done after a fight occured

2. Maybe after 30 minuts consider the fight too been reported by some spectator onbthe shore and give both parties a pvp mark? Lets say at 1 hour 2 

Based on player entrance time and a cm system wil be used too see if u earned so u where not afking i mean x rate need x hull or crew or sail hits to be eligble

Pvp there is a fight  a duel

Respect / motivate both give a pvp time bonus .

Winner takes the pvp marks loser atleast take cm money and the time pvp

More chance people fight it out

3. About Pvp marks price wil fall..

Okay so more pro eclusive mods wil be availble to all hey look u actualy have to be better ure self isnt that wat gaming is about? 

Too the person saying ships cost nothing.

Who says u just didnt invest ure coins.

In a new upgrade newship.

Or maybe someone has a bad streak

Some people also have live outside game too not 24/7 grind.

4. Why not implant option buy back ship after she is boarded. By giving up ure time pvp marks might make it intresting on long far away raids for attackers 

crow i thank you for sportmanship again.

Your welcome. 😁

Been thinking about this while off watching a movie.

How would you stop people just farming rewards by meeting up and  just fighting over and over with no ship loss?

Guess you could make it so you can't retag after a battle, but is that a good thing for example a poor tag and you want to tag again to get better position?

In principle is a good idea, but players always find a way to maximise a hole within a system.

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dibbler said:

How would you stop people just farming rewards by meeting up and  just fighting over and over with no ship loss?

In principle is a good idea, but players always find a way to maximise a hole within a system

Totally agree.

Some may farm damage off each other but would it be worth spending your evening doing that?

And there will always be the 'weird alt abusers but why should we worry about a few cheats when the game as a whole could improve for the 'non weird' majority and importantly help the player base grow. 😁

• Like 1

reward system based on damage alone i wrote about yesterday may work:

Player A loses but does 6000dmg he gets 600k gold 600 XP

Player B wins but does 5000dmg he gets 500k gold 500 XP additional reward if he sinks Player A ship he gets 100k reward if he caps her he gets ship alone 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

Will this make people stand and fight more ?

In my view yes becouse they will know they will get a reward for fighting plus it could also solve issue about player with good ship attacking newbie in weak ship becouse weak ship has lower HPs so less reward

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

Gotcha. Patrol Zone reward system applied to the OW.

Okaaaa'y :)

hmmmm will be the new missions not like this? 🤔

go out in 7th rate and sink someone? where is the screenshot?

Edited by z4ys

Not a fan of marks, but hey, have to accept design decisions.

As I tend to make my age of sail experience as credible as possible ( think it kind of applies to my associates as well, so i can speak for them ) we do enjoy a lot the sail back to the corsair haven with the prize, mostly traders full of good stuff.

I think the fence of "making your own experience" versus "gaming the game" will always be present and it fall on the player to decide which is more fun for himself.

Levelling the output from both options is tricky design.

Honestly, when looking at the choice of retaining a captured trader in "Fleet" and making a long sail to a port where you'd get maximum value for the goods, or just sinking it and moving on, the goods generally aren't worth the time.  "Value" nowadays is determined mainly by PVP marks.  "Achievement" for many players (including myself) is measured by PVP marks.  The same PVP marks could be given to a player for sinking or capturing it.  The time and challenge for bringing it home is then rewarded with the value of the ship/cargo.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

Honestly, when looking at the choice of retaining a captured trader in "Fleet" and making a long sail to a port where you'd get maximum value for the goods, or just sinking it and moving on, the goods generally aren't worth the time.  "Value" nowadays is determined mainly by PVP marks.  "Achievement" for many players (including myself) is measured by PVP marks.  The same PVP marks could be given to a player for sinking or capturing it.  The time and challenge for bringing it home is then rewarded with the value of the ship/cargo.

perhaps PvP marks should go. loser needs too be rewarded for fighting to the end XP only is not reward that will make soeone happy too PvP again after loss loser needs gold to buy/craft new ship to PvP again.Winner should be rewarded far more if he brings captured ship back this will also changed the raiding players might attacked once capture ship return her too outpost there give her to Admirality and recive Prize reward or keep her, then go back out 

Edited by Lovec1990

8 hours ago, Dibbler said:

Been thinking about this while off watching a movie.

Guess you could make it so you can't retag after a battle, but is that a good thing for example a poor tag and you want to tag again to get better position?

In principle is a good idea, but players always find a way to maximise a hole within a system.

Who really cares about the Cheaters? Cheaters will always find a way no matter what we do. We need to concern ourselves with the 90% that play for the fun and challenge. It is that 90% that deserves to be rewarded for their efforts in battle. The Cheaters are already getting rewards for no effort and will always have more in game than the average person.

• Like 3

I do. They must be whipped, covered in tar and made walk the streets.

While us, the average folk, play the average age of sail experience as intended with the risk it entails - in the pvp server that is - those fellows try to shortcut everything and will mess up the game, especially at Conquest level.

• Like 1

So last night same thing.

3 long battles. Good fights. One side or the other escapes.

Players grumble about virtually no rewards.

We come across navy brig. Others feel they NEED to sink him.

I don't blame them but PvP system of rewards seems screwed and geared toward forcing players to play one way.

Solution would be pvp rewards for taking part  in PvP ( win, lose or draw)and taking captured ships back to port for extra admiralty pvp marks would add content and help solve this relentless, 

fight, sink, (whoever/whatever) and repeat.

The way the PVP reward system is it's fair to hunt whoever you can and capital hunting will continue and it's no fault of the players.

Edited by Crow
  • Like 3