Game-Labs Forum

Hugging, boarding, and determined defender.

32 minutes ago, Le Raf Boom said:

You mean people don't hunt in Bellonas? Or is this specifically about 1st rates? I can't speak for everyone else but I do not hunt in a SoL because most PvP happens in protected areas and I simply want to have a chance to survive the encounter, that's one, two if I come in 1st rate I will mostly likely be never tagged,

What's weird so doing the same on a Requin?

And waiting for seeing you coming alone in 1st rate in KPR or Havana. Let me know when.

2 hours ago, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

Maybe rework true broadside weight to make people think twice ? I mean, can you imagine what a 74  would do to a brig or a 26/32 gun cruiser if the latter makes one single mistake....!...? Or what a 120 gun would do to a 64 ?

People don't complain they do no dmg when they hit. They complain about not to be able to hit due to turnrates and gun elevation and height/length difference.

So how would broadside weight help them?

Having trouble hitting the little guys?

I’m sure the pros already know this, but...

Hints:

You know those Swing Beds & Elevating Screws and William Congreve Sights that you have so many of? Use them.

And as soon as you start to run, you’re playing their game. Fight.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 10:04 AM, Old Crusty said:

I think that a smaller ship hugging a larger ship to death is about the most unrealistic part of this game and hurts the game badly.

I agree, but a smaller ship should definitely out maneuver a first rate.

On 8/17/2018 at 10:04 AM, Old Crusty said:

When one ship comes in contact with another a timer is started. As the timer continues, the requirement of ships speed for grappling start to slowly go up. It of course starts at 3 knots but after 90 seconds it might be at 4 knots and at 2 minutes at 5 knots. At the same time, determined defender becomes less effective because the other ship is doing whatever they can to overcome it. So after 90 seconds being in contact determined defender is only at a 20% difference in crew and at some point it would be completely nullified. 

This sounds way too complicated.

Personally, I think something like small arms and swivels are a better solution. You could effectively kill off his crew (potentially) without boarding if he is too close. I never liked determined defender in it's current state either; too much like magic.

• Like 1