Game-Labs Forum

Real-Life Sailors, Muster!

jpjchris

Ladies and gentlemen,

I pray this thread will stand as a place for all true lovers of the most glorious mode of transport to check in.

What has everyone sailed? My love has laid with small craft catamarans, also known as the motorcycles of the high seas. I've got my eye on the following in order to follow in the footsteps of Captain John Smith, upon the Chesapeake....

https://www.hobie.com/sail/wave/

https://www.nps.gov/cajo/index.htm

• Like 6

Started with 5 years on an Optimist, sailed large range of Jolles (Askeladen, E-Jolle, 420, Lazer etc) and Catamarans in my youth up to now.
Did three diplomas on Jolle (E-Jolle and 420) racing in the North Atlantic in Gothenborg Sweden (GKSS).
Sailed multiweek turns with Yachts in Denmark, Greece and Florida & Keys, sizing from 18 to 36 foot.

Normally sailing each year, but in the last 5 years it was hard due to financials. 

Edited by sveno
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, jpjchris said:

Away with you, you dirty combustion engine person! 

Kidding. I suppose we can also have modern sailors here as well 😛

To be fair, the destroyer was "Iroquois" class.  It had a huge sail area and in any wind, she would heel over and make a ton of leeway.  Terrible to bring alongside in a foul wind.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, jpjchris said:

Ladies and gentlemen,

I pray this thread will stand as a place for all true lovers of the most glorious mode of transport to check in.

What has everyone sailed? My love has laid with small craft catamarans, also known as the motorcycles of the high seas. I've got my eye on the following in order to follow in the footsteps of Captain John Smith, upon the Chesapeake....

https://www.hobie.com/sail/wave/

https://www.nps.gov/cajo/index.htm

jpjchris you should set your sights a bit higher if you are sailing on the Chesapeake 😎 Like sailing on a tall ship: Sultana, Pride of Baltimore or if you are further north like me you can sail on Kalmar Nyckel which I used to crew on. (A bit before the NA time period but she is the only tall ship in the US with a sprit tops'l). There are also a couple of Skipjacks and more modern schooners around. Sometimes the Lnyx  comes down to the Chesapeake - I got to sail on her in Baltimore. Niagara accepts volunteer crew and paying sailors as well but a bit far away. 

http://sultanaeducation.org/about-sultana/schooner-sultana/

http://pride2.org/

http://kalmarnyckel.org/

As to the Hobies I have sailed both the Wave and its' larger sibling the Getaway. I would recommend going for the larger Getaway if only because it has a jib but more because it is faster and tacks better than the Wave. This summer I sailed a Getaway with 4 teenagers onboard and flew a hull in a 12 knt breeze. You can solo both as well. If I were younger I might go for one of the racing Hobies. I used to race Thistles and Flying Scots at a local club and also crewed on J-24s a few times. I have also sailed on the Hobie trimarans with the foot pedals to control the rudder. These as well as the Wave and Getaway are often found in rental fleets so you can try before buying. 

• Like 5

Occasional Deckhand on the SS Thor Heyerdahl
A three-masted topsail schooner (steel hull LoA ~50m, wooden rig about 30m high)
Thor Heyerdahl - Wikipedia
The Ship is mostly used for outdoor education for students between 14 and 16.
Hoping to move up through the stations in the years to come and maybe get some experience on other traditional tall ships.

JPG file is too large to post on here...

smaller pic:

image.png.82bbc47ee61a37c0cfc653b96efcc90d.png

• Like 6

I started with Omega's, Dezeta's ( 10person lifeboats modified to be sail yachts). Then all kind of cabin boats on lakes, then the sea. SunOdyssey, Ocean, Bavaria, Lagoon and others. I'm sailing only once - twice a year. 

Recently inspired by Naval Action I sailed LaGrace - up to date the "most powerful blue-water warship of the Czech navy", as an officer:

300px-La_Grace-At_Sea1-full.jpg

I really recommend this ship :)

Earlier I sailed Glowacki. I'm a beginner on tall ships. 

Recently I'm thinking of sailing around Antarktic with guys from Selma

Edited by vazco
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...

I started with windsurfing as kid. Went on to sail and capsize an Askeladden jollyboat rigged with sails. I still sail bermudarigs on occasion. Oh, and I've sailed with an old luxuryliner built in Trieste in 1952 from Tenerife in the Canarias to Lome in Togo (Africa). 

• Like 2

I grew up cruising and racing a Catalina 25, my father still owns a newer model.  Also have match raced Lasers in the local lake with the local sailing club.  Past that, have sailed a Frosty and a Sabot, and a small collection of Hobie Catamarans in the neighborhood of 21ft or so.  The largest private sailboat I've been on was a Tartan 44 owned by a friend of the family.

Here was an outing from a while back in the Laser.  It was really gusty that day, I ended up walking the side a couple of times when my sheet became fouled.

silverbell.png

• Like 5

On 10/18/2018 at 11:40 AM, NethrosDefectus said:

Might wanna de-power, perfect angle for leaking there :P

lol

I love lasers because they're crank as hell - when it's gusty, you're constantly feathering the sheet and at times hiking your body out perpendicular to the deck.  It's like dancing on a razor's edge between going fast and getting dumped into the water.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to this topic, but my first sailing experience decades ago was on the 101' schooner Adventuress.  After volunteering on her later on, I also sailed Lady Washington.  In college and a bit after, I sailed a few USCG cutters, including the 295' barque USCGC Eagle.  In more modern sailboats, I sailed the USCGA's dinghy fleet (FJs, 420s and lazers), as well as J-22s, J-35s and Luders-44s.  A couple other odd boats here and there, either as passenger or helping out friends with crewing needs.  Now I happily sail my own Fortune-30 cutter in southeast Alaska.

• Like 2

Some of you might relate to this, but when we where going through all my mom stuff my sister found some of my grandpa's military papers we didn't know we had.  Apparently my Dads Dad when crossing the great ocean to go to war become a shellback.  I was like crap me and Grandpa have something in common among many other things.  Well I'm a Golden Shellback.  4 years US Navy and I got about 10-15 years of being offshore drilling and have my merchant marine book filed out for several simple potions of crew.  Never messed around with the Sailing type of boats though.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 9:45 AM, Sir John said:

Couple hours ago... beautiful day here in Nantucket :)

Only had my phone to capture this one

Somewhere in the forums are the pictures I took of the Lynx one day when she was anchored in Casco Bay off Portland, Maine. I had taken my little 19' Grady White sport fisher out for the afternoon with my (now) wife and was pleasantly surprised at what I saw!

In my professional career I've been on carriers, destroyers, tankers, freighters, and am now staff chief engineer on a cruise ship.

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:41 PM, AKPyrate said:

I'm a bit late to this topic, but my first sailing experience decades ago was on the 101' schooner Adventuress.  After volunteering on her later on, I also sailed Lady Washington.  In college and a bit after, I sailed a few USCG cutters, including the 295' barque USCGC Eagle.  In more modern sailboats, I sailed the USCGA's dinghy fleet (FJs, 420s and lazers), as well as J-22s, J-35s and Luders-44s.  A couple other odd boats here and there, either as passenger or helping out friends with crewing needs.  Now I happily sail my own Fortune-30 cutter in southeast Alaska.

Must be a short season! ❄️

• 2 weeks later...

Few years ago I did a sailing licence for inland waters.

But my big pleasure is sailing on a flat bottomed ship in Wadden Sea. Did this a few times on different Tjalks and Clippers.

My favourit ship is one of the fastest and most beautiful flat bottomed clippers the "Eensgezindheid".

image.png.07b004a3e5dfc84a89d94012311b0752.png

Next summer I will be back and enjoy wind, water and sounds of rig and sail.

Edited by HamBlower
  • Like 2