Game-Labs Forum

Proper ability to scuttle ship

1 hour ago, Oberon74 said:

Commerce raiding was a reality of war.  Ships on a commerce raiding mission were to there to deny merchant vessels to the enemy.  When capturing multiple ships, a Captain had to make the tough decision to give up some of his crew to take the ship as a prize or scuttle.  This decision was made all the time.  There is nothing wrong with destroying a captured ship if you have reasons to move on without it.

And conversely many ships were scuttled to deny the enemy access to supplies when there was no chance of escape. 

4 minutes ago, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

Regarding what exactly ? Denial of ship capture only ?

Not sure if this was to me, but you original comment mentioned differences between gameplay and history, where my comments were addressed to someone who on one hand was for scuttling a captured ship for gameplay, but on the other hand did not want to allow ship owners to scuttle because it was not correct historically. I just suggested to stop scuttling altogether by making captured ship be towed to port or abandoned. I was not disagreeing with you.

• Like 1

Correct, me neither :) Just trying to figure what is exactly the issue...

I mean, one can fight until one sinks or can fight no more... sadly sometimes that ends in a capture. *shrugs*

Other option is to Surrender and live with the choice.

A indirect options is to dump cargo in the Open World.

What we missing ? 

• Like 1

The issue is that someone suggested to have a scuttle button for all to use to deny the ship and cargo to enemy. I disagree with that, but it raises the point as to why once a ship is captured through boarding or surrender does the new owner have the option to scuttle it? They too should be unable to scuttle it and that leaves the issue of what happens to it if the person does not want to take it in fleet for which I proposed it should be teleported to nearest port and the owner notified so that they can claim it back after paying a salvage award.

1 hour ago, Archaos said:

The issue is that someone suggested to have a scuttle button for all to use to deny the ship and cargo to enemy. I disagree with that, but it raises the point as to why once a ship is captured through boarding or surrender does the new owner have the option to scuttle it? They too should be unable to scuttle it and that leaves the issue of what happens to it if the person does not want to take it in fleet for which I proposed it should be teleported to nearest port and the owner notified so that they can claim it back after paying a salvage award.

Destroying a ship by canon fire or destroying it after you board and capture it.  Two different tactics that players choose to use in order to kill an enemy ship.  You are proposing to remove one of those options.  Why you gotta be that way?

I do disagree with an option to scuttle your ship and deny it to the attacker...If he chooses to keep it.  Its a main premise of the game that we can take other people's stuff.

3 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

Destroying a ship by canon fire or destroying it after you board and capture it.  Two different tactics that players choose to use in order to kill an enemy ship.  You are proposing to remove one of those options.  Why you gotta be that way?

I do disagree with an option to scuttle your ship and deny it to the attacker...If he chooses to keep it.  Its a main premise of the game that we can take other people's stuff.

Why would you capture a ship if all you wanted to do was sink it? If you want to sink a ship keep firing at it. Once you capture a ship the ship becomes yours, if you then decide you want to be able to sink it then the same option should be there for anyone who owns a ship.

I too disagree with scuttling, but I think it should apply to all.

1 hour ago, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

Correct, me neither :) Just trying to figure what is exactly the issue...

I mean, one can fight until one sinks or can fight no more... sadly sometimes that ends in a capture. *shrugs*

Other option is to Surrender and live with the choice.

A indirect options is to dump cargo in the Open World.

What we missing ? 

This all started when we tagged two guys an Inger and a Req. The Inger surrendered near the Req and the Req sailed up, took the repairs and upgrade and sank his friends ship, there by denying the marks and loot. When Admin was asked about it, he said it was fine, hence the request of the scuttle command to deny loot and marks to everyone in this fashion.

This was within a minute or two of the engagement starting on two potentially speed capped ships so the tag wasn't perfect but they were not getting out.

Edited by Rabman
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Archaos said:

Why would you capture a ship if all you wanted to do was sink it? If you want to sink a ship keep firing at it. Once you capture a ship the ship becomes yours, if you then decide you want to be able to sink it then the same option should be there for anyone who owns a ship.

I too disagree with scuttling, but I think it should apply to all.

Its a tactic.  Many players use boarding as their main tactic.  They don't want to keep the ship, they just want to kill it. 

43 minutes ago, Rabman said:

This all started when we tagged two guys an Inger and a Req. The Inger surrendered near the Req and the Req sailed up, took the repairs and upgrade and sank his friends ship, there by denying the marks and loot. When Admin was asked about it, he said it was fine, hence the request of the scuttle command to deny loot and marks to everyone in this fashion.

This was within a minute or two of the engagement starting on two potentially speed capped ships so the tag wasn't perfect but they were not getting out.

I'd simply make it so the kill is always attributed to enemy, if no damage done. All enemy ships present get share amount of marks.

But that's me and my solomon laws love.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

I would think Surrender is the gameplay compromise to this situation and it doesn't take much to go back on the suggestions and updates regarding Surrender option to understand that the present state is to allow a fast non time consuming way out AND not denying the other party the ship/content.

C'mon guys, be reasonable. It is a fighting game. Best you can do is go down guns blazing or, if you don't have the time to spare... surrender. 

@King of Crowns

the green on green, if agreed by both players, is not a new discussion and has been ruled quite long ago.

however. the surrender button is NOT being used for that... its being used to deny the ship and the upgrades and the repairs and the pvp marks. it just turns into a giant waste of time (even more so than it was in the first place). the only solace the hunters get is that they don't have the ship any more.  and ADMIN said that it is working as intended. so just add a scuttle button to do the same thing just faster and more efficient.

and as far as this being a "fighting game" I don't think so. its a more of a farming simulator now. carebears are free to play the game will full access to every single thing in the game without ever leaving the safe zone. 

• Like 2

Press scuttle button. All sails go down.

All combatants get message Capt Farrago is abandoning ship.

3 minutes later, 75% of the time the ship blows up. If the ship is boarded prior to those 3 minutes elapsing, the timer stops and ship is not scuttled. (It would not be a boarding action but the simple X.)

• Like 2