Game-Labs Forum

Longer Day/night cycles!

so true. What i see is an animation between sunset and sunrise. There is no nights in the game atm.

I wish there was a minimal 60 seconds of nighttime between this 2 moments and if possible a full moon every 4 days. I also would like to see the fullmoon in the sky at night.

• Like 1

I personally hate the night part of the day and night cycle, it's hard to see and has made me change my gamma settings as well as add a 3rd party color changing app so it is easier to see at all intervals.

Edited by Teutonic

Yes for time dilation. Means slower OW speeds and longer days and nights but also adds all the moon cycles and maybe even open way to usage of mid day position check and who knows... tides and geo data winds :)

• Like 2

Personally I do not like night battles. Night battles were extremely rare. Friendly fire was a problem and the gun crews had a hell of a time in the dark, let alone the crew that handled the rigging. The night was to be avoided if at all possible except of course if you were trying to send a fireship into an enemy at anchor.

Take the night out of the game.

50 minutes ago, Sir John said:

asy one is the Battle of the Nile, where the battle began in the evening with both sides prepared to carry the battle into the night

Edited 32 minutes ago by Sir John

The French were at anchor So friendly fire was not much of a problem and the British were at less than battle sails so the crews in the rigging didn’t have that hard of a time. It was a decision British victory. Remember two things. 1 British crews were among the best trained in the world. 2 that was a very rare night engagement 

1 hour ago, Sir John said:

You're correct in these points, but I'm not sure how it proves your point.

As one might be able to traverse his own house in darkness, trained sailors could run through the rigging of their ship.  They came to know it so intimately it was of a second nature.

Simple. You can find examples of night battles in history but for every one you find there are fifty or more that acured during the day. There were very specific tactical reasons the British Admiral planned his attacked so it would be dark. Just because it happened does not make it normal. Night actions were still very rare.

Plenty of chases ( technically the ships were already engaged ) lasted during across days and nights. Not much different from a tag and the battle lasting through the night day cycles.

I think we have the balance between what a lot of ppl like - some darkness, the lamps going on, etc - and the fellows that don't like it.

Gameplay compromise that doesn't really affect the game focus on age of sail engagements.

• Like 2

I agree that it switches to fast for us to strategically use the darkness. If we got the ability to turn of all the lights on our ship we could for example sneak up on a target or port with cover of the night! Would be so awesome!!!

But I need a new screen before this is implemented, because I'm basically blind in this game when its is dark... The only thing I can see are those lights at the rear of my ship 😂

• Like 1

In my opinion, darkness, storms, moon cycles, etc would all be great additions as it adds something i find lacking in the game currently - variety. Pretty much every battle feels the same, and i think that those additions would atleast change things up a little bit.

• Like 3