Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Sir John

Le Requin Crew + Mods

Recommended Posts

Being able to fit 350 men aboard Le Requin is not possible.

 

Given that the length of Le Requin's gundeck is 122' 6", 350 crew in a three-watch system would leave each sailor with ~6.3 inches of room.

With a two watch system, each sailor has ~8 inches to sling their hammock.  (This is already excluding officers and being generous.)

In the United States, the average shoulder width of a man is 18 1/4 inches... perhaps slightly less in this time period, as:

Royal Navy regulations at the time specified that each man be given a minimum of 17 inches to sling their hammock.

Unless men sleep on deck, or in the hold, armory, how could le Requin fit 350 men?

 

I am not sure how of the layout below decks of a xebec, but it almost boggles my mind that she was operated with 240 seamen aboard.  This leaves just about 12.3 inches of space per man.

It is my understanding that xebecs were able to achieve crews of above 300 only when sailing from port with the intention of sailing in before sleep is necessary.

The only images I could find of le Requin were blurry and without much detail, so here is Le Boberach

ponPPoA.gif

This diagram is of a similar construction to that of le Requin, though Requin (24 x 8lb cannons) would have been significantly longer than le Boberach (16 x 6lb cannons)

I fail to understand the measurements used

From approximately the mainmast aft (aboard this ship), ordinary seamen cannot lay their hammocks.

Xebecs made the most use of their space already, and in Naval Action we expand upon that.

Perhaps we should limit the crew possible on le Requin? (And thus balance her as well)

Edited by Sir John
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know, but I write this concerning crew size with mods

Quote

 

Edited by Sir John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ditch hammocks 6-7th rates even boarding prince will be fixed

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, z4ys said:

ditch hammocks 6-7th rates even boarding prince will be fixed

Nooone of the mods in this game has ever been ditched since the wipe, they keep coming, more and more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i know because people rather ask to adjust the ship instead of mods that cause the problem :(

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:
13 minutes ago, z4ys said:

ditch hammocks 6-7th rates even boarding prince will be fixed

Nooone of the mods in this game has ever been ditched since the wipe, they keep coming, more and more.

Its almost like the mods as they are inherently unbalance the game by changing the playing field in some cases by 30% making worthwhile balance near impossible. 😮

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, z4ys said:

i know because people rather ask to adjust the ship instead of mods that cause the problem :(

New mod is already in the API, "Extra Buckets" 🤣 Blame me, because my fireship requin caught fire too many times and I complained about it. Same gunboat :(

I just wonder why buckets are only useful for putting out fire and not bailing out the water 🤔

Edited by Banished Privateer
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You dont nerf a ship because of mods!!!!!

Leave my ' LE SEXY" alone.

It's the mods not the ship.

 

 

 

Edited by Crow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, z4ys said:

ditch hammocks 6-7th rates even boarding prince will be fixed

But I can counter a boarding prince with one of my own or a niagara.  No ship can counter the Requin set up the same way in the shallow as the only ship with close to the same crew is 150 on the Niagara.  I don’t even have to crew stack to beat a Niagara that is crew stacked as it just barely breakers over the 200 mark, think max stack it’s mid 200 range. That is why it needs to a 5th rate so it can’t use light hammocks (which has no penality) and it gets Lowe bonus from hammocks and such while still taking a moral hit. 

 

Ill use use a good example a couple weeks ago I chased you and Hetwill with some other US players.  I pulled his Niagara into boarding and without crew stack or marines I was easily able to take his ship in boarding with 250 crew.  So the ship is a powerful boarder without the mods against anything in the shallows except other Requin.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much crew that little ship have as max when we consider base is 250 crew + crew space build + very cramped bonus + Hammocks skill book + Hammocks 6-7 rate permanent upgrade? Anyone know?

Some of those upgrades might not be compatible and there should be a cap for crew bonus, but I have never tested this.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why always change the ship? Why not rethink those stupid mods which always cause more problems then the actual ships?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, z4ys said:

Why always change the ship? Why not rethink those stupid mods which always cause more problems then the actual ships?

...sigh...

MMO mucho bueno ? Apparently it is needed master Z, or else is just... meaningless...

Image result for mmo gear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10+10+20(for 6-7th rate)+15=55

that is 375 crew total

Now do the same as a 5th rate

10+10+15(for 4-5th rate)=35

That is 325 crew.

 Now remember crew space and hammocks gives -15 moral each for a total -30 moral but when your facing other shallow ships with 100 or less crew than you pretty much one shot them in boarding so that moral hit doesn’t matter.

With 350 crew max it can still be ver deadly hunter killer but would be keep out of port battles and be better balanced.

the other thing devs could do is put a stack max of only 30% crew like with other mods and that would work too, but won’t fix the problem that it still has 100 more crew base than any other shallow water ship of 6th rate.  

A crew stacked Niagara gets 232 crew do even a none crew stack Requin will destroy that ship if it has like board mods cause it doesn’t start with the moral hit.  I beat crew stacked ships  other just barricades, axes and muskets just holding them while they get sunk by team mates and than releasing the board so they instantly sink.  Toss in 5 rings book and I can go against there marines without any and destroy them.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

10+10+20(for 6-7th rate)+15=55

that is 375 crew total

Now do the same as a 5th rate

10+10+15(for 4-5th rate)=35

That is 325 crew.

 Now remember crew space and hammocks gives -15 moral each for a total -30 moral but when your facing other shallow ships with 100 or less crew than you pretty much one shot them in boarding so that moral hit doesn’t matter.

With 350 crew max it can still be ver deadly hunter killer but would be keep out of port battles and be better balanced.

the other thing devs could do is put a stack max of only 30% crew like with other mods and that would work too, but won’t fix the problem that it still has 100 more crew base than any other shallow water ship of 6th rate.  

A crew stacked Niagara gets 232 crew do even a none crew stack Requin will destroy that ship if it has like board mods cause it doesn’t start with the moral hit.  I beat crew stacked ships  other just barricades, axes and muskets just holding them while they get sunk by team mates and than releasing the board so they instantly sink.  Toss in 5 rings book and I can go against there marines without any and destroy them.

#MakeLeRequin5. rate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Tiedemann said:

#MakeLeRequin5. rate

Wouldn`t change much the current situation mate...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make the requin to have 250 crew with all the hammocks mods and skill books in use. 

Or just ban it from having hammocks mods and books, yet 250 crew is too many for a 6th rate alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tiedemann said:

#MakeLeRequin5. rate

That would maybe help in port battles, but not in OW, where Requin captains usually just jump every smaller ship that appears on the horizon, but will start running away as soon as someone with a bigger ship jumps in battle because "Booo why u bring this ship to fite me??"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fenris said:

Wouldn`t change much the current situation mate...

 

2 hours ago, Batman said:

That would maybe help in port battles, but not in OW, where Requin captains usually just jump every smaller ship that appears on the horizon, but will start running away as soon as someone with a bigger ship jumps in battle because "Booo why u bring this ship to fite me??"

Not only would it limit the crew to more restricted perks/ship knowledge there are other boarding mods that are very much effective by the rating of the ship.  6-7th Rate Muskets is 50% of your crew, 4-5th is only 25%.  It would do a lot to effect it and limit it to OW where it can be more easly handled by a group of ships as you normally don't have packs of them unless it's a port battle.

It's funny cause most of the complaints I'm hearing are about port battles or it being able to take on other ships, by limiting such things as crew, reload, armor (planking), even speed for some mods it will be balanced out more.  The ship has 100 crew more than any other 6th rate, but it is equal in crew with most of the 5th rates.  It should no be a 6th rate in game for balance and it along with the Herc should not have BR's of 80, they both should have around 150 BR.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sir John said:

Being able to fit 350 men aboard Le Requin is not possible.

You forgot about midgets... It's enough to rename "Extra Hammocks" to "Midget crew".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the best place to start will the Requin is making it a 5th rate and upping its BR. It instantly solves most complaints about the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×