Game-Labs Forum

Towards Realistic Play Regarding Sails

Really on a real square rigged ship you simply can't raise (furl) your sails while an opponent shoots at you and then drop them after (while he reloads) AND still keep moving at 10 knots.

raising (furling) your sails would take at least 15 minutes on a real square rigger - so it should take 15 seconds (60/1 compression) in game - now it is about 2 seconds even though the ship doesn't slow down much for 10 or 15 seconds.

The ship should slow faster when sail power is removed also.

Dropping and cleating in would be faster about 1/2 the time - so 7 or 8 seconds would be more realistic - now it is 2 or 3 seconds.

Please Please Please?

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Furling sails takes men aloft who would be at high risk if the rigging was targeted. This would mean a lot of crew loss from such activity. I can't believe they really had lines of men constantly standing on the yard arms waiting to furl sail in the middle of a fight every time an opponent fired a ranging chain shot.

I think hammering S as soon as you seen the flying horse shoe "chain shot" can and will be addressed via coding.

As for ship slowing or decelerating I think that does need to be tweaked, even when I spill the wind from me sails I drift a little more than I'd like. But then again I don't know much about inertia and momentum equations.

I'm trying to figure out the communities stand on how fast or slow the sails go up and down, but I'd like to see my sails visually adjust at a quicker rate, seems to slow.

-Cannonball

Furling sails takes men aloft who would be at high risk if the rigging was targeted. This would mean a lot of crew loss from such activity. I can't believe they really had lines of men constantly standing on the yard arms waiting to furl sail in the middle of a fight every time an opponent fired a ranging chain shot.

Well, no, you wouldn't furl anything. But you can haul on the clewlines to get the sails almost furled. That's what should be represented visually.

• 1 month later...

Just look at old pictures and you will see that they never furling sails all the way when out of port they are in some kind of way roughly semi furled the sails then looks sloppy furled.

Another thing that needs to be addressed is the furl animation. It is so unhelpfull in getting people to realise that in a battle you would only clew the sail to the yard, but not furl them.

So, the furl animation should be replaced with a clew-in animation.

And I agree -it has been noted many times before by now- that the clewing in should take longer, just as it should take longer to get underway.

~Brigand