Game-Labs Forum

Stay Alert, no reinforcements coming... 1.10/11 WTF!?

Percon

I took a break, skipped 1.10 & 1.11, got back, and as the topic name says, no reinforcements came. I was close to 1 minute left, but got defeated. Is that timer an indicator, to when they arrive?

I found out, this > Player reinforcements in Battle "Stay Alert" delay more to make the battle more challenging. To whoever thought that was a good updated, are you sick in your head? Do you have tumor of some kind, that prevent you from logically thinking?

Maybe on the easiest difficulty, it is easy, but on higher, just as the whole Confederate campaign, no.

12,500 enemy infantry Vs 6000 mine, not to mention 4 x 400~ size cavalry units, and 2 x 300~ size skirmisher units. I have 1 cannon unit as a support. They just rush, no wonder. An advantage, attack from three sides, forests to hide in.

It was already challenging, and difficult enough, there was completely no need to make it even more frustrating. 

I tried it couple times on Major Difficulty, no suprise, only defeats. My army gets overrun, and broken. Is there any point in playing this crap anymore, or just skip it? You get a bit of cash, and soldiers, 4500 to be exact. Since I am losing nearly 2000 at the beginning, I am afraid that it would look exactly as in this topic, Ambush Convoy, where the trade off is not worth it. You can also see a screen from a test run on the 1.09 from Stay Alert, and my outcome... 

So... anyone, anything? Sonner, or later, I will figure this out anyway, but I must say, I am more than unhappy to see something like that.

Edited by Percon

I am not expecting Nick to answer, because he does not even give a fck about this forum, or the Steam one, bugs, or anything at all. 

Have I asked for this? No. Did anyone else? I hardly doubt. This game has a lot of flaws, this change is just another one, that needs to be added to the list. 

Topic will remain unedited, by me. Dropping so called patches, that only fck with the players, insteading of making them enjoy the game more, is ridiculous. 

BTW Nick is a pretty regular sight in the forum. And this game has been one of the best supported indy games I have ever seen, and I say this as someone who has participated in quite some betas (and even an alpha), I have seen my share of poorly developed and even worse supported games, and this is definitely not one of them.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Percon said:

I am not expecting Nick to answer, because he does not even give a fck about this forum, or the Steam one, bugs, or anything at all. 

Have I asked for this? No. Did anyone else? I hardly doubt. This game has a lot of flaws, this change is just another one, that needs to be added to the list. 

Topic will remain unedited, by me. Dropping so called patches, that only fck with the players, insteading of making them enjoy the game more, is ridiculous. 

With all due respect, you have no idea what you are talking about. 

If you think Nick and Sterner don't care about this game, you are merely reinforcing what I just said. 

If you think being a jerk is going to help you, you are wrong again. 

However, if you want some help with the game, this forum is FULL of seasoned vets who love to help support new players and teach them what they know. 

Your choice. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pandakraut said:

Full clear on Legendary 1.11 with 2k casualties. The reinforcement change is not that big a deal, just have to adapt to it.

LegendaryStayAlert.thumb.png.6e0dbc163b066b1b2b605cf89df2c1ff.png

You are still -3k casulties, but thank you for the screenshot. 

Downloaded version 1.09 from the internet, loaded my saves, reinforcements appeared at 3.07~ minute mark. 

I will finish this mission this way, then just load the save on Steam.

7 hours ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

With all due respect, you have no idea what you are talking about. 

If you think Nick and Sterner don't care about this game, you are merely reinforcing what I just said. 

If you think being a jerk is going to help you, you are wrong again. 

However, if you want some help with the game, this forum is FULL of seasoned vets who love to help support new players and teach them what they know. 

Your choice. 

Yes, I do. I have been here since an early release. Purchased the game, saw that forum is mostly ignored by everyone responsible for the game, made a refund, got it. Patches started to appear, bought it again, and... Déjà vu, just as everything was ignored, it still was. As I have wrote before, I would not be so salty if Nick admitted he is a fool, and this project was more than he was capable of doing. Just say it, make a topic where he apologize his customers. This game had a potential.

Another problem is that it was not tested, and seeing you are of these so called "testers" you are responsible for the poor state of the game. What did Nick tell you to do? What kind of test have you done? Click an icon on the desktop, and see if it works? It launches, so ya, it works, test completed. 

Edited by Percon

17 minutes ago, Percon said:

Downloaded version 1.09 from the internet, loaded my saves, reinforcements appeared at 3.07~ minute mark. 

Yes, I do. I have been here since an early release. Purchased the game, saw that forum is mostly ignored by everyone responsible for the game, made a refund, got it. Patches started to appear, bought it again, and... Déjà vu, just as everything was ignored, it still was. As I have wrote before, I would not be so salty if Nick admitted he is a fool, and this project was more than he was capable of doing. Just say it, make a topic where he apologize his customers. This game had a potential.

Another problem is that it was not tested, and seeing you are of these so called "testers" you are responsible for the poor state of the game. What did Nick tell you to do? What kind of test have you done? Click an icon on the desktop, and see if it works? It launches, so ya, it works, test completed. 

i also think that you don't know what you are talking about. I have spend 871 hours on this game ( steam timer )and have never encountered any game breaking bug except for the cavalry bug. I have finished the grand campaign 4 times and still play and enjoy the game each time i start it. That you face issues does not make the game broke or the developers and the testers incapable.

• Like 2

Same. Cavalry bug was the only thing that got on my nerves, but that one got fixed. And with the last hotfix they ironed out the ammunition veteran skill bug. I don't see any bugs at all left. I am usually not very friendly with dumb devs, got kicked from Paradoxs list of people who get their hands on the games and DLCs early because I told people openly that HoI4 sucks and the DLCs are shit. So yeah...I think you, Mr. Percon, just suck at the game and blame it on bugs.

• Like 2

I was surprised by this change in my latest Legendary playthrough and got hammered, but I went back and replayed it successfully. The key for me was to deploy all the infantry I had in the initial deployment phase, and use one of those brigades plus skirmishers to beat off the cavalry in the rear while holding the treeline elsewhere. I do think they went too far with this fix, as the reinforcements essentially arrive too late to accomplish anything, but it's definitely winnable even on Legendary.

Edited by Aetius
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Percon said:

Not sure where you are getting this number from? I lost 2k, battle reward was 4200(no politics points) and I had enough prisoners to get an extra 1k recruits. If you're only looking at recruits then I'm at +3k?

54 minutes ago, Aetius said:

The key for me was to deploy all the infantry I had in the initial deployment phase, and use one of those brigades plus skirmishers to beat off the cavalry in the rear while holding the treeline elsewhere. I do think they went too far with this fix, as the reinforcements essentially arrive too late to accomplish anything, but it's definitely winnable even on Legendary.

I agree, if you can trap the cavalry early on it makes the rest of the battle fairly straightforward. With the reinforcement timing I think the battle is now similar to Siege of Suffolk where you've largely won or lost the battle by the time the reinforcements show up. The reinforcements are really only there to help mop up, putting a couple cavalry units there works out nicely. 

Edited by pandakraut

7 hours ago, Percon said:

OH, wait. I remember you. 

You are that . . . individual . . . who bought the game because school was out for the weekend. Because a particular patch / battle release was delayed by 48 hours and you would not be able to play during recess you loudly demanded a refund. Then disappeared, only to reappear at this time. I guess school is back out. 

You are hard to forget, in the entire history of this game you are the only individual who has acted or behaved this way. 

• Like 5

On 8/6/2018 at 3:01 PM, Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf said:

Same. Cavalry bug was the only thing that got on my nerves, but that one got fixed. And with the last hotfix they ironed out the ammunition veteran skill bug. I don't see any bugs at all left. I am usually not very friendly with dumb devs, got kicked from Paradoxs list of people who get their hands on the games and DLCs early because I told people openly that HoI4 sucks and the DLCs are shit. So yeah...I think you, Mr. Percon, just suck at the game and blame it on bugs.

Videos are easy to make, you want to see them coming? I might be wrong on some, they might be engine limitations, and other things that are unable to be changed, due to the way the game is made, but plenty of work to be done, still an early release, far from being called finished game, with missing features, and options.

...I remember you, you're that midget squeeker kid, YouTube star wanna be, that keeps on spawning his gameplays. 

You got a link to my topic, provide better score [only K/D ratio matters, nothing else], you have as much time as you like, I will ignore your failplays on YouTube.

Challenge accepted? 

Major General, Confederate campaign.

Seeing I just did 4 missions, you don't have that much to work on.

Edited by Percon

4 hours ago, The Soldier said:

In case the OP is still curious - yes, the initial timer is a countdown to when reinforcements arrive.  After that there's another timer that, after which the battle will end if you make it that far.

So there isn't a bug.. and OP is playing on hard, expecting what? Not hard? It's hilarious..

Will you at least acknowledge they arrive since your post says they dont.

14 hours ago, Percon said:

Videos are easy to make, you want to see them coming? I might be wrong on some, they might be engine limitations, and other things that are unable to be changed, due to the way the game is made, but plenty of work to be done, still an early release, far from being called finished game, with missing features, and options.

...I remember you, you're that midget squeeker kid, YouTube star wanna be, that keeps on spawning his gameplays. 

You got a link to my topic, provide better score [only K/D ratio matters, nothing else], you have as much time as you like, I will ignore your failplays on YouTube.

Challenge accepted? 

Major General, Confederate campaign.

Seeing I just did 4 missions, you don't have that much to work on.

Sorry, was busy celebrating my tenth wedding anniversary. Haven't played the rebels in a while, I will give it a try in a week or so when I am done with Silent Hunter 5. Thankfully I have time now after the Battfleet Gothic: Armada 2 closed beta ended. ;) BTW, the let's play stuff is more for relaxing.

Edited by Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf

10 hours ago, Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf said:

Sorry, was busy celebrating my tenth wedding anniversary. Haven't played the rebels in a while, I will give it a try in a week or so when I am done with Silent Hunter 5. Thankfully I have time now after the Battfleet Gothic: Armada 2 closed beta ended. ;) BTW, the let's play stuff is more for relaxing.

Congratulations to your wife for putting up with you for ten years! 😎

Seriously. Congrats. 

• Like 2

Thank you. She even went to Tankfest with me this year, which is a 30 hour ride/sail from Hannover in Germany, I have no idea why a nerd like me got so lucky...probably because she is just as nerdy. She even plays video games, though more adventures, and loves Star Wars, Stark Trek and Game of Thrones. As a thank-you gift she is now off for the weekend with her BFF to the M'era Luna festival, bought her the cards as a present and planned everything. xD Four days off without kids watching her favourite bands...while I am able to play as much on the PC as I want because the kids are staying overnight at their friends and grandmas, win-win.^^

Edited by Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the necro, but I just had to put in my 2 cents, not that I believe for a second that Percon is still reading. He's probably moved on to something more fitting his skill set, such as Angry Birds or Plunkbat.

The change in Stay Alert irked me no end as well, in all fairness, what use are reinforcements if they come too late to make a difference?, and I got my behind thoroughly spanked the first time I tried it in the new version, so that complaint is certainly warranted or at least understandable.

However, by changing my tactic to go full infantry and heavy use of detached skirmishers, it's not really that hard. It's a challenge, to be sure, but that's not a Bad Thing™, it's just a matter of changing your tactics, my old tactics being just to dig in on the easily and obvious defensible positions, watch the bluecoats kill themselves, then clean up with the reinforcements. And that still works, but only with a lot of footwork with the skirmishers on the flanks.

But then it works wonderfully. The Yankee cavalry never gets to be truly threatening since they break off their attacks every time they meet resistance, you just have to stay on top of them.

But, and this is my main "but", since I absolutely love the Rebalance Mod and refuse to play without it (in base game you just have to do the above), it ONLY works if you can detach skirmishers, which you can't do in stock Rebalance Mod. You simply can't afford to just replace units with dedicated skirmishers, at least I can't, even with the two extra slots. I understand why it was disabled, glitches and cheese and all, but my thing is that I choose not to use the cheese, and the "glitches" aren't really that if you don't cheese it by stopping charges by detaching skirmishers from the target.

More importantly, disabling detaching skirmishers goes against all historical accuracy, since that's how they were used. Dedicated skirmishers weren't a thing. You sent out a detachment to scout the ground or delay an enemy advance, then called them back afterwards. You didn't have specific units whose only purpose were to do this.

Fortunately, thanks to Panda and Johnny, putting the detached skirmishers back in is extremely easy with a simple edit to the config file, and that mod is simply awesome!

TL;DR : Percon is a twat and Stay Alert works just fine, with or without mod, you just have to try something else. I tried both with and without the mod, and won both times. It was more tense, yes, but is that bad?

Edited by MishaTX