Game-Labs Forum
Norfolk nChance

W/E Duel Tournament, A Doubled edged sword or the birth of a legend...?

W/E Duel Tournament, A Doubled edged sword or the birth of a legend...?

@admin

POSTED this on Wednesday...

weekend duel tournament is coming next big patch (with Port UI). For GOLD COINS! with leaderboards and ship loss.

I’m weary of the idea and agree with @Liq here with the weekend tournament.

@Liq Quote  

bad idea IMHO

should have pre-set ships, for everyone the same. just like in NA:L, where all ships were oak wood (well except the slight upgrades you could install) - makes comparing way easier and levels the playing field, for the competetive aspect

and disable ship loss. Else people will kite and chain to death in order to prevent losing their shiny gold super modded duel ship.

thoughts...

The downside is Small Dev Team’s time allocation. Will this distract you and the small team away from more underlying game issues and the 2x big patch roll out and then post main fixes follow up? However, once again you evil Genius your sucking me in with Potential... 

An In-Game Weekend Duel Tournament is how Naval Action Legends should have been born in the first place. This then when spun off would be fully integrated with NA-OW and server cycle updates. I would like to suggest a couple ideas if I may even though I promised a break with my last idea.

The PC doesn’t use their own ship...

At first the duel just is the PC. Keep things Game-Labs[GL] controlled and low touch.

[GL] Controlled Ships and loadout ...

To start with [GL] will offer three types of ship 1st, 5th and 7th rated. Pre-start the player gets to see the ship he’s chosen. They are all pure NA-OW models no changes and with a wood build and trim. No Captain skills and no permanent mods. The Cannons are pre-selected. Hull will have the base repair ratio Hull, Rig and rum. However, your individual PERKs will affect the ships performance. This will be the ONLY difference between you and your opponent’s ship statistics.

Ship Loss

At first, NO bad idea. If you want a burn issue then tournament or match entry fee. The winner takes that. Later on, yes but not at first. PLAYERs won’t enter...

They talk PvP don’t walk it remember. Keep it simple.

Leader Board and Statistics

What I would like to see in the leaderboard is API and BACKSTORY build up. AFTER-BATTLE report that’s dumped into the API. This is @qw569 area but either using the forum or a webpage an updated leader board that will drop other information in it. The individual post battle report can be retrieved by all and seen.

Very basic plain just it...

Closing, ...

Two-edged sword, don’t let it suck up focus from NA-OW. If ship loss, they won’t enter at first. Try an out of Game Leaderboard we can see...

thanks for reading and if you think its rubbish let me know. If you can do better likewise...

Norfolk nLegend

Just when I’d lost faith you Evil Genius,

Edited by Norfolk nChance
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

don’t let it suck up focus from NA-OW.

Do you mean Game labs' focus or players' focus? 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, victor said:

Do you mean Game labs' focus or players' focus? 

Typical lawyer kills me with my own word play

NnC

tournament is great idea but every weekend is kinda to often plus i agree that ships should be equal so no elite ships plus ships should be chosen by RNG 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lovec1990 said:

tournament is great idea but every weekend is kinda to often plus i agree that ships should be equal so no elite ships plus ships should be chosen by RNG 

Remember when we had those missions.  Use a cerd to kill such and such ship and who every had the fastest times for the week for a reward chest?  They can do something like that where it’s a certain ship every weekend.  Switching out between the whips and even have some of the rare ones so folks can try them and th dlc ships out.  Each players get a set of slots and maybe same wood tyle.  So one weekend you might have a lo/wo build the next time that ship comes up its a teal teak build so you will have to adapt to fight.

• Like 1

I like both ideas.

1. With player chosen ships, adequate to the tournament type, the better the build ( whatever that means ) the more chances to win. The better the ship the bigger the glory of the opponent if the captain loses. aka. tarkov syndrome - the better gear the more chances to win, but bigger loss if player loses. So you better win ;) 

2. With ships generated equal both player rely only on their wits and tricks and NOT on gear. But where's the "ship loss" ? So we win gold coins if we win but if we lose, we lose nothing at all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

if we win but if we lose, we lose nothing at all.

If you lose you lose the opportunity to get better Scores. You place lower in the leaderboard and thus win less in the end.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liq said:

If you lose you lose the opportunity to get better Scores. You place lower in the leaderboard and thus win less in the end.

*chuckles* Al'right.

So possibly win the prize pots ( ANY prize ) without any stakes ?

Ah well, have fun then.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

*chuckles* Al'right.

So possibly win the prize pots ( ANY prize ) without any stakes ?

Ah well, have fun then.

Prizes could be special ranks e.g. "duellist tournament winner, season 1"

Doesnt have to be materials useful for the game e.g. gold etc

Main focus should be on giving those the content (1v1 2v2 3v3 ....) that want it. Battling in such conditions is the reward itself. You wont find that in the open world.

• Like 1

We could do that with the Duel Room. Was barely used... Of course the stats were not public... gotcha...

We can do that right now with the 1v1 no sinky, but of course the stats are not public... gotcha...

• Like 1

I think personalising your ship is a skill too, its game knowledge and gives you the chance to improve your ship based on your playstyle. HOWEVER i dislike the thougt of people sailing all-out gold ships in a competitive tournament.

Imo in tournament mode everyone should be able to chose woods and upgrades himself without eco restrictions. You would not sail with a ship from the docks but a build of your choice. Else the superior equipment will always have an advantage!

• Like 1

Thank you all for the replies guys...

*chuckles* apart (and you should know better Captain Reduke), we as players are treat more like mushrooms than testers. The OPENING POINT is not what we want from a tournament it’s what the Dev’s can deliver and at what cost. Cost in this instance is time allocation.

I know exactly what I’d like from a tournament and all that it would encompass. This then the worry because of the distraction involved. AT FIRST a basic roll out and then expanded in time with the different features. Keep GL control so if a BURN or stake is wanted use entrance fees at first. Later on, then more specific build and your own ships at risk but not at first.

Players simply will not enter it with ship risk at the start.

Leaderboard and Battle Reports a must see by all. Would like a Very BASIC out of Game webpage to try with at first. A Tournament PCs history that can be drilled into...

Norfolk.

• Like 1

At first yes @Sir Hethwill the RedDuke

Otherwise why would any noob enter or average player if they’ll be up against an [ELITE] ego with all the books, toys, whistles and bells... no Chance...

Managing something like this is also more intensive than boxed standard with just the PC and his PERKs to fit in.

Once rolled out...

Then yes as players become use to it, they’ll want and demand more. Then you’d build on the tournament basic model. If you disagree then fine, there are no free lunches @Sir Hethwill the RedDuke and I hope we are not paying for more delays and game push backs down the road by focusing on this too much...

Norfolk.

Edited by Norfolk nChance
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2018 at 2:37 PM, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

We could do that with the Duel Room. Was barely used...

Maybe it was?

The given reason for closing it was "to get people out in the OW".

Some of us spent a lot more time in duel room than in OW.

• Like 1