Game-Labs Forum

My assessment of any game starts with player made videos.  I don't watch Developer teasers because they are almost always misleading.  Player made videos provide a decent idea of the gameplay, and the creator sometimes offers a few valuable opinions.

If the videos look good I seek opinions from friends who own the game.  This is really helpful because discussions can reveal details that are missing from videos.

I find that reviews can be misleading and are very limited.  Someone else may rate features differently that I would, so a low rating may have little influence on me because don't care much about the content that the reviewer perceived as important.

Steam reviews are a indication of the general appeal.  A recent and overall Rating of "Overwhelmingly Positive" tends to influence me to spend money.  When the sum of these reviews are 96%-97% positive it increases my confidence that the game is well made.  I seldom read individual steam reviews because the negative ones are usually rants, entertaining, when I'm bored, but not very informative.

Price is important and proportional to the amount of time I will spend researching.  If the price is low I am more likely to buy it and decide for myself.  Games that are very expensive need a demo, so I can try it first.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 9:51 AM, HachiRoku said:

Most people buy games because of gameplay videos. Reviews don't matter as much as you would think. 

• Like 1

#1 - what's the game about / setting - usually a mix - ww2/planes or napoleonics/grand strategy, etc

#2 - type of gameplay - FPS / RPG / wargame, simulation, mix of several, etc...

#3 - replayability value ( some genres are more than others )

#4 - challenge - from hardcore realism to storyteller on rails

#5 - visuals/sound design

#6 - I go watch devs streams, vids, etc

Literally there's "unlimited" choice of games out there to fit in all our own subjective idea of having fun.

3 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

@Captain Marchant is to blame for me being here, met on Life Is Feudal and convinced me to give it a spin.

Greg! You owe me an Elite spanish rig refit, a trader brig, goods worth 300K and 60 crew,  your a thieving murderer! I want to slap Captain Merchant so bad now..

But more on topic, I decide to buy games based on recommendations and finally based on YouTube videos..  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir Hethwill the RedDuke said:

replayability value 

I never really understood that to be honest. I buy games like uncharted, last of us and tomb raider. They're great games but I'm not playing them a second time. I know what's happening so why bother replay right? Doesn't not buying a game because of replay-ability not damage story driven single player games? You should never take that into account imo and enjoy the great single player games there are. 

On this topic I'll say gameplay videos only. The more I played games in life the more I see how reviews are biased. Wildlands was a great game that was really unfairly reviewed by a lot compared to other junk that gets the same ratings.  I never care if it's 10 hours or 2000 hours. I used to pay 60 euros for ps2 games as a kid and games are just dirt cheap even on release these days so why bother.  That being said I don't buy alot of games. I can't remember when I last bought one. Next ones are red dead, spiderman looks fun and skate 4 if ever made. Sometimes a racing game if I'm feeling it. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

I never really understood that to be honest. I buy games like uncharted, last of us and tomb raider. They're great games but I'm not playing them a second time. I know what's happening so why bother replay right? Doesn't not buying a game because of replay-ability not damage story driven single player games? You should never take that into account imo and enjoy the great single player games there are. 

I do buy some "A to B" games, like the Tomb Raiders, Red Dead Redemption, Fallouts, Divinty Original Sins, etc. Story driven and some with more cool mechanics than others.

Replayability comes into play mostly in games like Naval Action, Arma, IL-2,  Histwar, Total Wars, Mount and Blade, etc

Given the selection process is very subjective and really depends on the gaming culture of each individual, for me it counts a lot. And if a game has scenario editors for example or mission makers, coop generation, it really scores high on my table.

This being said I do play console games, most family stuff with the youngsters, those can be extremely fun and a distraction from the most serious subjects games.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Macjimm said:

My assessment of any game starts with player made videos.  I don't watch Developer teasers because they are almost always misleading.  Player made videos provide a decent idea of the gameplay, and the creator sometimes offers a few valuable opinions.

In my case with was the opposite. For many years i am following NA with interest. I remember to watch those epic battles in storms  on youtube and i thought what an amazing game  it is, i need to get this. I recently bought the game just to know that epic storms battles are a thing from the past. I cried.😢

• Like 1

Had this game on my wishlist forever, liked the look of it from youtube, once on sale, got it.

Damn, should have got it along time sooner.

Other games in-between I've wasted my dosh, damn it.

I wish I knew how to decide!

Edited by BuckleUpBones
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, no one said:

In my case with was the opposite. For many years i am following NA with interest. I remember to watch those epic battles in storms  on youtube and i thought what an amazing game  it is, i need to get this. I recently bought the game just to know that epic storms battles are a thing from the past. I cried.😢

It's been said a few times with NA what you see is certainly not what you get, at least if you base most of your research on the player videos

In most cases I use gameplay videos by certain youtubers, reviews on Steam (UGCW was actually the first game I wrote one for xD) and the experience of my friends with the game. I really love any game that gives you a demo, so you could check it yourself. In the old days when Youtube wasn't a thing yet and demos just had gone extinct I actually once downloaded a game illegaly to test how it played. That game was Empire: Total War, and I bought it half a year later when at least some of the bugs were fixed. And thanks to Nick I was actually able to enjoy it. xD

I have bought games spot on before release...for example Rome 2 (will never buy a TW title again pre-release) or Battlefleet Gothic: Armada (because I am a 40k fan). But that only happens rarely and if I know the devs behind it are really, really good (yeah, CA, that one goes in your direction, Shogun 2 was great but you f*cked R2 up!).  That means I will happily buy anything Game-Labs is churning out. xD

• Like 1

Most of the games i play are somewhat niche ( wargames proper and historically accurate games such as war in the east or war in the pacific admiral edition, advanced tycoons like capitalism lab, games with in depth mechanics like dwarf fortress, aurora pentarch, things like dominions).

This means that i actually have a pretty good knowledge of the genres i play due to it having less games and less studios, so it makes comparing those games to similar ones much easier than with larger budget games, and thus makes the choice easier.

Then i just wait for a post-release review on a website such as wargamer, read some reviews in relevant subreddits and the game's forums. Those are usually more in depth than videos or steam reviews and written by people who know their stuff.

If the price is expensive, i don't mind waiting a couple years for a sale if need be ( i'd rather buy books than a 60 euros game ).

Atm i am eagerly awaiting http://militaryoperationshq.com/

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard
  • Like 2