Game-Labs Forum

Damage inconsistency or RNG?

John Sheppard

Hi

Since months ago i've noticed that there is a certain inconsistency in the damage i deal and receive between instances but could not prove it.. other people have also noticed it but think it's either their imagination or other factors

What do i mean? Well sometimes you fire a broadside point blank , get credited 30 hits on top and deal 20% damage .. in next broadside you get again 30 hits and deal less damage

The Ai are especially prone to this it seems as they can be sitting next to you shooting you for minutes and you hardly take any damage then they take out half your armor in one broadside (seems to be connected with their single shot mode but not sure)

Ok .. examples .. besides plenty of strange instances where there should had been more damage done to me or less the best example i have is this :

I was sailing wo/wo basic hullR Mercury with 6pd mediums in patrol zone to finish my last few points for the next reward.. so i attacked a trader snow (AI) .. done the usual chain then close in with double shot at point blank range .. only a plank could fit between my hull and the Tsnow's .. so i shot full broadside in locked random and all 10 shots penned (got 10 hull popup message on top whatever it's called) and i did only 20% damage to the Tsnow or less .. i was quite surprised thought maybe it's a white oak snow or something but then it fires at me and puts me into reload shock .. it's true i don't use Mercury much but that's a bit excessive damage.. so i became a bit more careful and in the end decided to board it and see what the heck it was made of .. turns out it was Bermuda crew space .. other ppl i've told this to shook their heads in disbelief

Another instance is in Bensalem defensive port battle i was in my PB Ocean with nearly max thickness  and hp  ok fair enough it's a tanky ship but i was in the middle of 3 Spanish Oceans pretty much stopped rubbing our hulls against eachother .. for 5 minutes i was there shooting at them and they shooting at me .. i took ABSOLUTELY NO DAMAGE (check screenshots) so it was quite strange and unless they were shooting chain (which wouldn't had lasted that long) or grape at my hull can't be explained or at least doesn't make sense to me and those were no newbies all of them were quite experienced players so there must be something going in with the damage like i said. In the end after 5 mins it got "unstuck" and i started taking the normal damage again

PS .. as the screenshots are quite messy from all the masts and sails pls pay attention on the radar/map too see the situation

ocean.png

ocean 2.jpg

Edited by John Sheppard

7 minutes ago, rediii said:

Didn't happen to me

1st screenshot = maybe carros went over the top and he isn't full broadside to you. Also it wasnt a full broadside from you as you can see on your left side reloading?

I dont know what the 2nd screenshot is showing

yeah the carros maybe went over but his other 3 decks should had done damage to me .. a lot of damage from this range .. Plus i was doing A LOT of damage to him with every broadside he was losing 20% armor which is normal it was me who wasn't taking any damage that's why it's strange

Second screenshot they attempted to save the guy by pushing me off but it's supposed to show that after this time i still have pretty much same HP like 2 minutes before even tho he had time to fire twice .. Also pls do take in account that already few minutes had passed before i even took the 1st screenshot so you can see that i was undamaged .. and even this damage that i had in the 1st one was damage that i suffered long before this situation

Edited by John Sheppard

32 minutes ago, rediii said:

Make a video next time :P I never saw something like that. Maybe he was bad, maybe he tried full 6 pound loadout, whatever ^^

It was a PB , don't think anyone would "experiment" with 6pd armament on an ocean during PB :)and after this "skirmish" or "melee" however you wanna call it he was doing normal damage to me

I would love to make a video but sadly i'm barely able to run the game as it is . Like i said this is not the first time :)

Edited by John Sheppard

Yeah i know all this but i say again .. in the case of the AI Tsnow i shot double as well and done nothing even tho all 10 shots penned in it's right side armor sooo ..

1. I was point blank almost touching the Tsnow 

2. I did not do any damage to its bow/stern

3. Tsnow was Cedar and i was double white oak

In the case of the spanish ocean again i was keeping myself perfectly lined up and mine ship was exactly alongside and i mean perfectly lined up to the point that if something was in front of us both our bows would be either touching it or not ..

ofc you can say that he was fir/fir .. that doesn't make sense in a port battle but let's go with it .. ok fair enough that explains how i did damage to him but WHY THE HECK didn't he do ANY damage to me for the 5 minutes that my HP seemed to be "locked" .. i have been in plenty of PBs and fought/used live/white oceans enough to know exactly how much damage to expect and i'm telling you i've taken far more damage in one broadside from 300m than what i took from those guys firing at me from 2m repeatedly.. sooo.. any other explanations?

9 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

AI also do use Double Charge and Double Ball. I noticed they tend to go to single shot when your close to them and it looks like that is double ball and why it does way more damage.

seemed like quad shot to me from the damage it did to my double white merc .. i mean snow has the same amount of guns as the merc .. ok one more but it did 4x the damage i did to it

does a bermuda cedar/crew space Tsnow have 4x the HP and/or thicnkess as the the double white+basic hull merc? doubt it ... it didn't had carronades i could clearly see guns and last time i checked the AI only uses mediums

4 hours ago, John Sheppard said:

seemed like quad shot to me from the damage it did to my double white merc .. i mean snow has the same amount of guns as the merc .. ok one more but it did 4x the damage i did to it

does a bermuda cedar/crew space Tsnow have 4x the HP and/or thicnkess as the the double white+basic hull merc? doubt it ... it didn't had carronades i could clearly see guns and last time i checked the AI only uses mediums

Also if you do you you’re tutorials you will find that the ai uses double and charged with the Carros and yes they do use carros (most people rage board in the final exam)

I kinda know what happen in the Bensalem PB and it's all about the thickness and angle as mentioned by others here. Krautz was experimenting with the build on the L'Ocean, and I even think he was experimenting with the skill books and upgrades also so it was not "the usual RvR setup" on his ship. 
I remember having to sail out of the circle to go and assist Krautz and in the beginning when I shot at your ship I only used my lower deck because you where at a distance and angled. You where in a Lo/Wo ship I assume and very difficult to penetrate.

In my experience your armor thickness weakens as you lose hp, so when your health is 100% more shot bounce and you take less damage. But as you lose hp more and more shots starts to penetrate and you take more damage per broadside. So in the beginning when firing on a Lo/Wo L'Ocean with thickness mods and full health, most of your shots will bounce even at parallel. You can somewhat counter it with double charge and/or aiming high on the L'oceans broadside almost at the top deck where the shape is more flat and more shots will penetrate.

If I recall correctly the damage you do for each cannon ball is RNG. I'm not sure how much the damage can differ, but why the damage output from AI is so uneven is a good question. I just imagined that RNG Jesus steps in with some penetration/damage magic on every 3. or 4. broadside they fire.   

Edited by Tiedemann
Video was just black screen for 9 min

1 minute ago, Banished Privateer said:

Or some cowardly vile beggars surrender when their ships have full HP, there are many things in NA happening :)

That's a little harsh if you're talking about a trader.  If a skilled player tags me in a Tbrig or LGV, I'm not going to waste my time.  I'll always fight in a warship, of course...just for the experience and fun of it.

3 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Or some cowardly vile beggars surrender when their ships have full HP, there are many things in NA happening :)

She sank with 14 leaks after the Bellona pass, wish i remember his name was good aiming on his part. :) 

Believe what you want but know this - Not everything is about you. Actually never anything is about you.

Back on topic, sorry guys.