Game-Labs Forum

Low FPS / Performance Issues

o Barão

Also, Steam Shader is known to provoke issues with some games, including system lock due to gpu memory address locks. Turning it off will not affect negatively the games that use it without problems, so just turn it off as well.

image.png.76f4062c434308af85cdbf2688c97a2a.png

On 7/21/2018 at 4:25 AM, Intrepido said:

Any improvement?

I didn't install the integrated graphics card driver. The dell provides me an older version. Intel provides me a new version. But the problem is with the geforce 940mx not the integrated graphics card.  

On 7/21/2018 at 8:42 AM, SirAlatriste said:

If you can use the MSI Afterburner to improve your GTX card optimization.

Geforce mx series are not good for overclock. i can only tweak some settings in nvidia control panel.

5 hours ago, Ink said:

Also, have you tried to check different power management settings on the laptop?

I m using high performance atm. When i reinstall the windows i had a terrible problem with high disk usage ( around 99% ) the solution i found was to set to high performance.  Maybe i could turn off superfecth and windows search to see if there is any improvements. Suggestions? 

5 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

I would not recommend overclocking laptop components, they have already issues with overheating and cooling. 

yes.

3 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Also, Steam Shader is known to provoke issues with some games, including system lock due to gpu memory address locks. Turning it off will not affect negatively the games that use it without problems, so just turn it off as well.

image.png.76f4062c434308af85cdbf2688c97a2a.png

I tried this but no sucess.

2 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Wait...

you posted this image

1143452868_CapturadeTela(7).thumb.png.2e66a8b49bec954b9c471965a35e4c56.png

You locked framerate at 15  in the options. Just noticed.

Turn both to OFF or 60, please.

I already did that . Will stay below 15 fps. The problem is the geforce 940mx is running with the integrated card performance.  I never saw something like this.

Edited by no one

Okay, let's try something.

Use a external monitor plugged to the laptop. Make it your main monitor.

Report back.

-

Also

The Switchable graphics option is in the BIOS. 

To get to this, power off, and when everything is completely shut down, hit the On button and keep tapping F12 continuously whilst the laptop boots up.

This will take you to a screen with some options on it, you want to do the following:

1.      Go to BIOS SETUP

2.      Expand the VIDEO category

3.      Select Switchable Graphics

4.      Make sure Enable switchable graphics is cleared (i.e. it is disabled).

5.      Confirm this and you should find your laptop shuts down. Start it as normal.

------------------------

• Like 1

Hi

I have a much more shitty system (old intel I3 with 8GB of DDR3 and GT730) yet i'm able to run the game at 21 FPS currently

The thing to do is make sure your laptop runs the game on the Nvidia GPU and not the intel one (which is embedded in the CPU) .. The way to do this is to right click on your desktop and go into Nvidia control panel (or find it in the start menu if you press the windows icon and then type nvidia) if you go in "Manage 3d settings" you'll see option to select graphics card (mine doesn't coz it's a PC and i've disabled intel in my Bios

Edit : i see others have already attached the screenshot how to set the game to run to Nvidia GPU

In the game itself put it on low then increase the water to medium (i've found that it has almost no effect on the FPS) What seems to kill the FPS is the Terrain , Trees AA and geometry

If all else fails reduce the resolution from 1920x1080 to 1600x900 (this is what i've done coz otherwise i get 13-16FPS

If you've owned the laptop for over a year with moderate use and take it to places where it can suck a lot of dust like your bed then you need to clean it with compressed air (especially if you feel it gets hotter than when you first bought it or the fan works too loud ) .. if you don't own an air compressor then go to your nearest gas station take the hose you usually inflate your tires with and thoroughly blow all the holes of the laptop starting from the underside not the Fan side (Don't worry about it it may seem harsh but i've done it to over 100 laptops i've repaired and they all work better and cooler after :) ) Don't use any of the canned air stuff it's bad

GPU.png

Edited by John Sheppard

6 hours ago, Ink said:

Once you are in the game, please send F11 report - the logs will show active GPU

First i want to thank you all for the help. I will try to answer one by one.

dxdiag.txt unity_log.txt

This were the logs i found from the moment i send a report bug. If i am missing something please inform me. Thank you.

unity_output.log I also add this one.

22 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Okay, let's try something.

Use a external monitor plugged to the laptop. Make it your main monitor.

Report back.

-

Also

The Switchable graphics option is in the BIOS. 

To get to this, power off, and when everything is completely shut down, hit the On button and keep tapping F12 continuously whilst the laptop boots up.

This will take you to a screen with some options on it, you want to do the following:

1.      Go to BIOS SETUP

2.      Expand the VIDEO category

3.      Select Switchable Graphics

4.      Make sure Enable switchable graphics is cleared (i.e. it is disabled).

5.      Confirm this and you should find your laptop shuts down. Start it as normal.

------------------------

I prefer to use this solution as a last resort. Thank you for the tip i will use it if anything more works.

22 hours ago, Intrepido said:

Are you sure the nvidia gpu is active while you are playing?

Open taskmanager while you are playing and post screenshot of the GPU column.

Unfortanely there is a limit to how many files i can upload. However if you look on top there is another post i made with screenshots i made using naval action with different video cards. So yes nvidia ccntrol panel works and i can switch between different video cards, the performance however is the same as the integrated video card . That is very strange.

5 hours ago, John Sheppard said:

Hi

I have a much more shitty system (old intel I3 with 8GB of DDR3 and GT730) yet i'm able to run the game at 21 FPS currently

The thing to do is make sure your laptop runs the game on the Nvidia GPU and not the intel one (which is embedded in the CPU) .. The way to do this is to right click on your desktop and go into Nvidia control panel (or find it in the start menu if you press the windows icon and then type nvidia) if you go in "Manage 3d settings" you'll see option to select graphics card (mine doesn't coz it's a PC and i've disabled intel in my Bios

Edit : i see others have already attached the screenshot how to set the game to run to Nvidia GPU

In the game itself put it on low then increase the water to medium (i've found that it has almost no effect on the FPS) What seems to kill the FPS is the Terrain , Trees AA and geometry

If all else fails reduce the resolution from 1920x1080 to 1600x900 (this is what i've done coz otherwise i get 13-16FPS

If you've owned the laptop for over a year with moderate use and take it to places where it can suck a lot of dust like your bed then you need to clean it with compressed air (especially if you feel it gets hotter than when you first bought it or the fan works too loud ) .. if you don't own an air compressor then go to your nearest gas station take the hose you usually inflate your tires with and thoroughly blow all the holes of the laptop starting from the underside not the Fan side (Don't worry about it it may seem harsh but i've done it to over 100 laptops i've repaired and they all work better and cooler after :) ) Don't use any of the canned air stuff it's bad

GPU.png

Yes i always use the nvidia control panel to tweak the performance to all the games.

To have a better picture about how i am playing now. i choose 1368 x 760  FX enable, reflection low , water medium, shadow low but on, the rest disable or low.  result 15-12 fps

Now you mention  the dust in the fan and really needs to be clean.  " if you don't own an air compressor then go to your nearest gas station take the hose you usually inflate your tires with and thoroughly blow all the holes of the laptop starting from the underside not the Fan side (Don't worry about it it may seem harsh but i've done it to over 100 laptops i've repaired and they all work better and cooler after :) ) Don't use any of the canned air stuff it's bad"

It does look harsh  but i can try this.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, no one said:

Yes i always use the nvidia control panel to tweak the performance to all the games.

To have a better picture about how i am playing now. i choose 1368 x 760  FX enable, reflection low , water medium, shadow low but on, the rest disable or low.  result 15-12 fps

Now you mention  the dust in the fan and really needs to be clean.  " if you don't own an air compressor then go to your nearest gas station take the hose you usually inflate your tires with and thoroughly blow all the holes of the laptop starting from the underside not the Fan side (Don't worry about it it may seem harsh but i've done it to over 100 laptops i've repaired and they all work better and cooler after :) ) Don't use any of the canned air stuff it's bad"

It does look harsh  but i can try this.

Don't worry about it i do it to all computers i service . Even desktops require this. Do hold your breath however coz as soon as you start a huge cloud of highly radioactive dust will come of it and you must not inhale it .. ok just kidding ofc about the radioactive part but you'll be surprise how much dust can come out :)

• Like 1

if you still have issues after this i would highly recommend to split your disk , create a separate 50GB partition and install windows 7 there i'm confident you should be able to run it atleast as good if not better than my shitty GPU currently is.. Yours is supposed to be atleast 40-50% better than mine according to benchmarks

Edited by John Sheppard

1 hour ago, no one said:

I prefer to use this solution as a last resort. Thank you for the tip i will use it if anything more works.

Given it is from DELL support...

You're my guest.

Have fun then.

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

Given it is from DELL support...

You're my guest.

Have fun then.

The problem with this is i would be forced to use the 940mx 24/7 . That is why i prefer to wait a few more days  just to see if someone can find a better solution for this. 

9 hours ago, no one said:

The problem with this is i would be forced to use the 940mx 24/7 . That is why i prefer to wait a few more days  just to see if someone can find a better solution for this. 

The external monitor one is also DELL support suggestion as some Precision - Inspiron - XPS and other hybrid GPU models do have both options but brand GPU - nvidia / AMD - will work only with external devices and never as the in-built display.