Game-Labs Forum

J&P Rebalance + Surrender mod(Out of date)

pandakraut

NOTE: This mod is not currently kept up to date.

Thanks to @General WVPM for combining his Surrender mod changes with the J&P Rebalance mod V1.2. A few changes weren't included due to overlap or balance reasons, but the added surrender mod changes are below. Please see the main J&PRebalance post for details on its full set of changes. This will be kept as a submod of the Rebalance mod and will likely have additional balance issues, but for those who requested it please enjoy.

Changes:
-Units surrender based on the morale of nearby units as well as their fatigue and losses. This means that it's easier to cleanup a bunch of routing troops that are cornered.
-Units surrender when surrounded with no allies nearby (a bit randomized and cav has a larger escape chance).
-Units can't shatter from melee, they instead surrender.
-Cav melee attacks give a big bonus to surrender chance.
-Enemy troop estimates depend on recon skill.
-(Optional) captives are returned to the AI before it gets post-battle reinforcements. Modify captivesToAI value in the Mod/AIConfigFile.
-At the end of each battle, the results are logged to a file in your temp folder, so the Excel tool can make a nice Excel file of it.

Get the mod here: https://wvpm.stackstorage.com/s/1yhVT3s3wYiL9Gs

GoG version: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WyZdV6-lkBFsLbW_2UWUNAhcRmUzg1q4

Install Instructions: 

Download J&P 1.2 + Surrender.zip and extract the contents of the J&P + Surrender folder it into your Ultimate General Civil War_Data directory.  You will be prompted to overwrite Assembly-CSharp.dll and resources.assets

Uninstall Instructions:

Verify game files to restore the Assembly-CSharp.dll and resources.assets and delete Ultimate General Civil War_Data/Mod folder

Edited by pandakraut
  • Like 2

Yep, the surrender mechanism could be improved IMO. Chasing around enemies who run through your ranks is not only a bit strange but from a gaming and video standpoint it only agonizingly prolongs the inevitable. I believe what happens is that the unit must come into contact with an opposition unit pretty much the moment it routs for them to surrender.

I only have limited experience with the surrender mod, but it definitely seems to speed up the wrap up routing units phase of a battle. It didn't seemed to significantly break or alter surrender rates in the early or mid phase of battles, though it seems you have to be much more careful of leaving units to engage enemies alone. I think there is still some room for improvement, but it does feel like a step in the right direction.

My reading of the base game surrender logic is that one check is run continually any time a unit is in melee, and another check occurs anytime a unit is fired upon. Ranged and melee have different starting probabilities. Both units hp, morale, nearby enemy hp, nearby ally hp, commanding officer status, and ammo status all factor into the surrender chance. Additionally units will not even consider surrendering if a nearby allied unit has a morale status better than wavering. I've not checked any of those probability numbers directly, but could go look them up that is something people are interested in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mukremin said:

is this going to work on a ongoing campaign? Or is the advise to test it on a new fresh campaign?

While technically there is nothing to prevent you from using an existing campaign, the rebalance mod changes are extensive enough I would recommend a new campaign instead. All of the perks and weapons are different, career points have different values, battle difficulty changes dramatically in some cases. If you're looking for a mod to apply mid campaign I'd recommend the UI and AI customizations mod. That one just fixes some bugs and adds some improvements to the tooltips and artillery range indicators.

Also, just as an FYI this version with the merged surrender changes has been tested substantially less than either base mod, so there will probably be some issues to smooth out.

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, i64man said:

pandakraut, has this mod and your other mod (customization) have been combine with the rebalance mod

All of the changes in the customization mod are already part of the Rebalance mod. The mod posted here is J&P Rebalance 1.2a + the Surrender mod. It will get updated to the Rebalance 1.21 when we have a chance.

• 3 weeks later...

Does this mod change how captured weapons work? How many weapons should I get from surrendered brigades?

Also, I've just played through the intro a despite taking ~2.5k prisoners, I've not gained a bonus career point and I'm still capped at 1000 exchanges. Is this WAI or have I mis-installed the mod?

4 hours ago, Jbeil said:

Does this mod change how captured weapons work? How many weapons should I get from surrendered brigades?

Rates are from the rebalance mod. Rates vary by difficulty. Colonel: .5 BG: .375 MG/Leg: .25

4 hours ago, Jbeil said:

Also, I've just played through the intro a despite taking ~2.5k prisoners, I've not gained a bonus career point and I'm still capped at 1000 exchanges. Is this WAI or have I mis-installed the mod?

The extra recruits, career points, etc were not included as part of the merged changes. We were unsure how the balance would work out so mostly just the surrender algorithm changes were applied to the rebalance mod.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jgraves14 said:

So I really want to download this mod but every time I replace the .dll the game won't open and I feel like I've tried everything to include uninstalling the game and then reinstalling it. Any ideas?

Are you only replacing the dll? There are several config files that need to be in the right place for the mod to load.

3 hours ago, Jgraves14 said:

Finally got it to work. Had to have the mod folder under the main data tab.

That is the expected path. You should be able to extract the zip file to the data path and everything should end up in the right place. Glad you were able to resolve the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, GAR_Arapharzon said:

Sounds like a great mod! Is it possible to get the mod working with the mac steam version of the game?

I don't have a mac myself and I've heard mixed reported of whether or not the mods work on a mac. Does the game load for you with the mod installed?

33 minutes ago, GAR_Arapharzon said:

I found the right folder, but how do I know the mod is installed? Thanks for the help!

Currently the easiest way to check is to look at weapon tooltips. If you see additional information in the tooltip the modded dll is in use. If the weapon stats are different from the base game then the assets file is in use. If the game crashes on startup the dll is in use but the configuration files aren't being found.

3 hours ago, GAR_Arapharzon said:

Got it working, thanks! Haven't tested it that much yet, but looks great! Esp like the surrender part, that was obviously flawed in vanilla. 

Would you be able to to list the steps you had to do to get it to work? Multiple users have had problems in the past.