Game-Labs Forum

CHANCELLORSVILLE - A TAD PEEVED !

contact

I was able to build 2 Corps total of 25567 men and 51 Guns CSA.

I initially faced 52621 men with 137 Guns.

As usual I’m well outnumbered. I’m used to it. Due to my lack of knowledge when in barracks when I first started a campaign.

I checked out the  Victory conditions. Seemed to much for my force. But the draw conditions I felt were achievable.

I would hold Orange Turnpike and Orange Plank Road and inflict up to 5% more casualties than the enemy.

Started well. The yanks made an effort but I held the 2 draw areas.

Overnight my forces were moved by AL. Ok. I know Jackson marched 30,000 men around the Union troops.

The next day I was able to position the troops in a reasonable fashion. I checked the victory/draw conditions. I was still on for a draw.

There was no way I was going to try and take Chancellorsville. My numbers were down to 19178 and 47 Guns.

I held back In the woods looking for the draw. The clock was set on 2 hours. The Union did attack my right flank. But no real problem being in the woods. They then did so to my left. Again no problem. The clock was running down. I kept checking the victory/draw conditions and I was ok. Time was up !

However, instead of coming up confirming a draw. It stated I had failed to capture Chancellorsville ! 

Yes I know. Not required for a draw ! 

Here is where UG had moved the goalposts. They said the Union was launching an attack against the above positions I held. I had to hold them.

Really? To add insult they were giving the Union 4 hours to take at least one. My troops, 15174 and 39 guns had been placed back at the original locations required for a draw or victory. They were also placed ad hoc and I was not able to place them as I would have liked before the Union started to attack !

Not impressed with UG. It seems they do not wish a draw to be taken at this battle. Perhaps they should alter the brief and state a draw is not allowed. Only a win or loss !

As you can tell. I am a tad aggrieved with this 😡

Funny... my first try at the Legendary Union Campaign came to a screeching halt at Chancellorsville.

I just didn't have enough men. Think the same applies here... you just don't have enough men for this battle.

I don't know if the Draw conditions were properly meet, so I can't comment on that. But this is an important battle you need to win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LAVA said:

Funny... my first try at the Legendary Union Campaign came to a screeching halt at Chancellorsville.

I just didn't have enough men. Think the same applies here... you just don't have enough men for this battle.

I don't know if the Draw conditions were properly meet, so I can't comment on that. But this is an important battle you need to win.

Hi,

Because of my lack of men. It became apparent very early a draw was the best I could do. I did constantly check the victory/draw requirements and each time it came up with a green tick for the draw. The only time it disappeared was when The AL threw in the 4 hour last battle. That was not for over 2 hours. So I am sure I was meeting the requirements for the draw. 

Fustrated that the AL appears to have moved the goalposts setting a final challenge as a punishment for not taking Chancellorsville.

I appreciate the importance of winning this one. But was looking to extend my first campaign a little longer.

I’m going to give it some thought and see if I can come up with a way of obtaining the Victory.

May I ask if you had to play the additional 4 hours for not having captured Chancellorsville ?

It does seem strange that other battles a draw is acceptable but for this UG have made it a win only.

Many thanks. All be it on Ledgendary. It’s good to know it’s not just me.

I do not expect to finish the campaign due to the numbers of men. Or the lack of. But just looking to see how far can get.

Appreciate your reply.

Chancellorsville has 3 days for both sides, but it's possible to win the battle early and skip days. As the CSA, if you don't capture the union camp you transition to day 3 where you have to hold the two VPs again. This is the same on the union side where if you hold the camp on day 2 then you still have to capture the VPs on day 3. Often the CSA army doesn't exist by that stage so you just walk across a nearly empty map.

Your best chance is to cause as many casualties as you can in exchange for minimal casualties on your side in the first 2 days. If you can weaken the union enough then you might be able to survive day 3 in reasonable shape. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, pandakraut said:

Chancellorsville has 3 days for both sides, but it's possible to win the battle early and skip days. As the CSA, if you don't capture the union camp you transition to day 3 where you have to hold the two VPs again. This is the same on the union side where if you hold the camp on day 2 then you still have to capture the VPs on day 3. Often the CSA army doesn't exist by that stage so you just walk across a nearly empty map.

Your best chance is to cause as many casualties as you can in exchange for minimal casualties on your side in the first 2 days. If you can weaken the union enough then you might be able to survive day 3 in reasonable shape. 

Hi,

Thanks for the above. There’s me thinking the AL had it in for me 😐

Appreciate the explanation and advice.

I’m not ready to throw in the towel just yet. My wife will tell you. I can be very stubborn (not sure if that’s good or bad).

So I’m going to give it some thought and see if I can find a solution.

Many thanks

I’ve had a good evening meal. A few beers 🍺.

Time to relax and at the back of my brain starting to think 🤔 how to turn this battle around.

My frustration was due to me thinking I had achieved the draw, not knowing there was a finale 4 hours.

Now I know. My brain is starting to look at the options.

I’m not yet ready to start a new campaign. Though I am hoping with the knowledge gained and still gaining I will do better.

Jsut not yet. 

Need to start analysing !

Yeah, the draw is doable for the Confederates, it's just a major pain in the ass because the game keeps teleporting your units around and scrambling your organization. Also, keep in mind that one of your Corps is going to have to fight Salem Church afterwards with no break.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aetius said:

Yeah, the draw is doable for the Confederates, it's just a major pain in the ass because the game keeps teleporting your units around and scrambling your organization. Also, keep in mind that one of your Corps is going to have to fight Salem Church afterwards with no break.

Hi,

Thanks for that. Salem church as well 🙃.

Seems UG do not want the South to win this !

Thanks for the heads up on the church. Assuming I can somehow get a draw !

Cheers

5 hours ago, Aetius said:

So what’s the answer. Dose UG need to look at what appears to be flaws and put them right.

I’m all for a challenge but they appear to be taken the pee.

I doubt it will be fixed unless it's in sequel or follow-on product. There are deep, fundamental issues with how the game handles - or rather, doesn't handle - day transitions. The problem is present in every multi-day battle, it's just that Chancellorsville is particularly bad. Stones River is another one that's just a heartbreaker, especially as the Confederates.

• Like 1

To comment on the modding angle, removing the transitions can be done. But it causes all kinds of other problems unless the player basically knows where and how they happen and plays around it. So no good solution there either.

All that said, I still think the game is well worth your time even with those issues. It can be very frustrating at times, but usually if you are getting stuck there is something that you are overlooking in how you are playing the campaign or a specific battle that can make the phases a non issue.

17 hours ago, Aetius said:

I doubt it will be fixed unless it's in sequel or follow-on product. There are deep, fundamental issues with how the game handles - or rather, doesn't handle - day transitions. The problem is present in every multi-day battle, it's just that Chancellorsville is particularly bad. Stones River is another one that's just a heartbreaker, especially as the Confederates.

Hi,

Thanks for the above. Chancellorsville does feel like a kick in the teeth !

It’s not a battle can take the defeat and move on. IE just keep the troops well back from any action and just run the clock out. The loss of 100 points sees to that 🙃

Must admit. I didn’t have a problem with Stones River. 

Cheers

16 hours ago, pandakraut said:

To comment on the modding angle, removing the transitions can be done. But it causes all kinds of other problems unless the player basically knows where and how they happen and plays around it. So no good solution there either.

All that said, I still think the game is well worth your time even with those issues. It can be very frustrating at times, but usually if you are getting stuck there is something that you are overlooking in how you are playing the campaign or a specific battle that can make the phases a non issue.

Hi,

Up to this battle I have been enjoying UG. Win or lose. I’m a novice with this game. So not expecting to get to the end of the campaign on my first try.

More a case of using this first campaign to learn the ropes. Especially in Barracks.

When I start again. Which I have been expecting to have to possibly do at some time. I’m sure I will fair better.

But Chancellorsville seems to go too far with “what if” situation. Could not the battle be shortened. Not have the extra 4 hours in order to make it almost impossible for the CSA to win or even draw. Other battles can be drawn or lost. But the 100 points loss for a defeat is too high.

Just the above two changes would give everyone a better experience. Looking into it. I’m far from the only one (even with my particular problems) that finds this battle annoying and of no enjoyment. Win or loose.

Having said that. My mind is working on a way to obtain a draw. Not giving up just yet. 

Best wishes.

Edited by contact
Extra line added

Well managed to work it out and obtain the draw !

We all know about what follows 🙃

Salem Church.

My batterd Corps of 2944 & 8 Guns against 13418 plus 42 Guns 😐

No point losing my 2944 & 8 Guns. Just refused combat. Allowed the Union to obtain the Victory and move on to my camp with no losses.

Keeping my 2944 & 8 Guns for what lies ahead 😕

Onwards and upwards.

Oh joy.

Edited by contact

Ok.

Must admit did give me satisfaction obtaining the draw I was after 🎊🎉😎

Few beers I think.

Have to admit it’s still a great game. Even if Chancellorsville does not seem quite right.

Onwards and upwards (maybe).

On 7/18/2018 at 11:42 PM, pandakraut said:

Hi,

Well looks like you were right.

I had commitments, but how to get the draw was on my mind. I tried it today.

Close. But I managed a draw. Which I knew would be the best could achieve with my lack of troops.

But still feel this battle needs looking into. Let alone Salem Church comes without a break. Ten brigades are allowed. But they are chosen by the AL. Not impressed. After Chancellorsville some of my brigades resembled a skirmish unit. Yes these were chosen ! Surly the player should be able to choose his best ten brigades. I was faced by brigades of up to 2000 !

So all the time/effort spent on Chancellorsville is for nothing. All the gains lost in the small encounter of Salem Church.

I still think overall this is still the best ACW I have played but little things like this do spoil it.

Best wishes

Edited by contact

• 5 months later...

I have the same problem with Salem Church, except I clearly had the objective captured and was defending it. I have only had victory a couple of times. The latest: I had flag completely surrounded, the CSA was not able to penetrate my defenses and it still came up as a defeat.  Even if winning I lose? How can the programmers justify that?

Since I posted about Salem Church.

I did manage to carry on till Gettysburg where I “met my Waterloo”.

But it was my first campaign and used it as a learning curve.

Soon after I did start a new campaign. With the knowledge I gained mainly in Barracks. ( I feel I am competent on the battle field). I won the Battle of Chancellorsville and then Salem Church. I did reach Washington and though close came away with Victory for the Confederacy.

I do remember at the time being peeved. As my above comments showed. But I learned from the experience and made sure I was ready in my next campaign.

It is frustrating but so good when Victory is achieved.

I still feel this is the best ACW computer game available.

After winning as the Confederacy in my second campaign I played as the Union. That turned out to be far less of a challenge. 

I have now started a new campaign as the Confederacy on the higher level of Major General. Fresh problems to ponder over.

But so far so good. But my next Battle is Antietam. This will I think be my biggest challenge in this campaign to date !

Happy war gaming all 👍

• Like 1