Game-Labs Forum
Norfolk nChance

USD to DLC in MMOs making virtual Spaceships worth real USDs...

USD to DLC in MMOs making virtual Spaceships worth real USDs...

@admin

thought this topical for NA

Doing some background research for my next Norfolk n**** idea came across some interesting videos regarding DLC in MMOs. The NA-OW hot topic at the moment. This one by Scott Manley is very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NH8eLVkmqE

Scott Manley says the price in game is set by the player or a player driven economy [PDE]. Not really true because real cash can only buy PLEX. Plex value traded in ISK is the NPC overlay. CCP can just issue more PLEX in dilution or restrict issue causing inflation. EvE is the closest you’ll get to a PDE.

The total in-game value of the EvE Online economy in 2016 reached USD55million. I found this in their financial statement.

Norfolk.

@Banished Privateer

Well my favorite Pyrate just around the corner you will be robbing some weak-willed Yank of their Pieces of Eight [Po8].

Stealing not only the virtue of the Beautiful Spanish lady also her REALs [R].

Then knocking off some of your Brothers for the buried Silver8 [S8] on a desert island.

And last but by no means least killing Rasputin for the missing Romanov family Gold Double Escudo [GDE] treasure often seen used in Moscow.

On my return I will set up another Sister clan to [ELITE] and [EDARK], she will be named [ThomasCook]

Fair Winds o7

Norfolk nChance [ELITE]

• Like 1

Good sense of humour badge granted! I just feel like you could give a brief description of PLEX, ISK, CCP for the non-EvE'rs so we could join in the discission about NA. Otherwise only EvE'rs can partake in this discussion.

• Like 1

I think the nature of this game and it’s economy can never include a true exchange rate unless DLC “marks” are available for purchase and more of the game relied on “marks” for its functioning.

It works in EvE because you actually pay your monthly fee with one of those currencies. In NA, if “marks” were required to let’s say, keep outposts open for a monthly fee ... and you could either grind for “marks” (hard) or purchase them ($), and you then had to also sink marks into player crafted ships? Then you make real world time:$:player-driven-economy linkages.

The advantage here is that then the game becomes somewhat self sustaining from a financial perspective. But it can raise the barrier of entry for attracting players that don’t want to lock themselves into monthly expenditures. 

• Like 1

@Banished Privateer

The EvE Online Economy...

https://support.eveonline.com/hc/en-us

[CCP] – CCP Games, the developers

[EvE] – EvE Online, a space-based persistent world MMO with both PvP & PvE

[ISK] - Interstellar Kredits the In-game Currency

[PLEX] - The 30-Day CONCORD Pilots License Extension

[RMT] – Real Money Trading is a known & declared exploit of assets or ISK for real money

In-game it has an open economy meaning the amount of [ISK] or materials is not fixed so operates on a supply and demand operation. Unlike most MMOs [ISK] is NOT freely convertible with real world currency. The [PLEX] system is the conduit to mitigate the effects of Real Money Trading [RMT].

Let’s do a walk through...

https://secure.eveonline.com/PLEX/

The in-game store bulk purchase discount. We want the USD20.00 x500 [PLEX].

500 units divide by USD20.00 equals USD 0.25 per [PLEX]

The CCP [PLEX] market sets the USD/ISK rate (NPC Overlay).

It does this through the selling of [PLEX] for USD

https://evemarketer.com/

This site helps see where the best market prices are. On the left side menu click to open “Pilot’s Services” then PLEX. Change the tab “Sellers” to “Buyers”. At the time of writing the BEST Bid was at ISK 2,895,000 at The Forge Region.

Hit the Bid with 500x [PLEX] and we’ll receive ISK 1,447,500,000

You know 500x [PLEX] is worth $20.00 and ISK 1,447,500,000

Then divide the USD value by ISK value to give USD1 worth of ISK

Therefore USD 1 equals ISK 72,375,000

Norfolk.

just to add 500x [PLEX] can be used for 30 days in-game playtime. This is about the same monthly subscription cost.

Edited by Norfolk nChance

Apologies @Wraith for the late reply had a very busy two days read on...

Battle Report:

I’m not as young as I used to be. In Hong Kong watching my England knocked out the World Cup at 4am led to a grumpy market marker at 7am. My sister then dropped into Hong Kong from Denver passing through China to go to the Farnborough Airshow, with her upper Management, Senior Sales and clients.

She said “Norf, do your worst. I want casualties and Tattoo stories...”

The next eight hours came straight out of an 80s “B” movie. Remnants of Typhon Ewiniar meant a heavy downpour of rain that didn’t let up on an already hot and humid evening making HKs Red Light district Wan Chai look like a scene from Blade Runner.

Sea Breezes with Kamikaze Chaser rounding off with a flaming Lamborghini helped break the ice and soften up Upper Management with their Jet Leg starting to kick in. This helped as my energy levels matched a Teslsa’s after a round trip to the shops and back.

POST Carnegies, Neptune’s III, Country Club 88, Bottom’s Up and the Fire House, Egos were now a Go-Go with Disco Biscuits, Marching Powder, Swiss Air trolley dollies, Columbian hookers and a Thai Lady Boy called “Geoff” trying to pull the poor intern on his first business trip to Asia.

Apparently talking bollocks was now a requirement to be in this suicide squad with a range of topics from Trumps an idiot, to solving the energy crisis, telling a Triad doorman to change his ways, to Trump should get the Noble peace prize...

4am again already? Pressing my door bell shouting quietly as I can for Mrs. nChance to open the door as I’ve lost my keys, phone and all self-respect. The door opens just as the neighbors started to investigate what was happening...

“Norf you’re a dick, that just cost you a new handbag”

Anyway @Wraith back on point,

“I think the nature of this game and it’s economy can never include a true exchange rate unless DLC “marks” are available for purchase and more of the game relied on “marks” for its functioning.”

I agree, but a true exchange rate is not the intention. It will I believe give the Dev’s a better Control Mechanic of the economy than the current method of Euro Traders and direct individual material or resource supply tweaking. The Marks I need to think on, never being a fan of that whole mechanic.

My reply to a similar thread...

Game playability and Balance...

I’m guessing here, but I imagine @admin the genius that he is must see this dilemma? He for one knows the resource or production usages by the entire player base. The effect it (DLC & ALT) would have...

“And the currency patch will have zero effect on this.”

On its own I agree the Patch won’t until currency supply is restricted.  We know already Silver8 [S8] and Gold Double Escudo [GDE] will be freely convertible between each other (but I doubt at a fixed rate). However, you can only obtain them from a “Government” as a reward, Port Battles or maybe purchased?

Pieces of Eight [Po8] and the REAL [R] will be introduced also, but these currencies I’m guessing are the main in shop currencies used. Catholic leaning PORT/Region (Cartagena) you would use [R] Protestant (K/PR) then [Po8].  The problem will come when either the Ship Note/Permit needed will be priced fixed in [S8] or [GDE].

Here the issue of Ship Permits would be in [S8] for a Victory but [GDE] for a Santi. You need enough of that currency at the right price to buy that Permit. OR go to the Admiralty STORE and use real cash. This is the control mechanic.

Currency Borders...

Now rare resources that spawn in just a few places like Live Oak or whatever you’d need the local currency to purchase making it exceedingly difficult. Maybe this would encourage an ALT purchase for the same local Nation to setup and build a farm. This would need a lot more local currency to start with though...

This just a guess but I can see how the NPC overlay now can soften demand or stimulate supply. Whether you have 15x Buildings in Charleston full of Live Oak Logs you’ll need “x” amount of [Po8] to harvest them. This may prove difficult for the Spanish week in week out on...

This seems a complicated system but I can see why the Dev’s introduced two main currencies and two minor ones. It gives market Control. The effect from increased buildings or ALTs can be now re-balanced devaluing one rate against another instead of tweaking game mechanics...

Always offer Two Routes to the same place...

Your Marks issue will I guess be right with a DLC offer. Point is to offer access to all things via two routes. One cheaper or less time consuming that another. This is the CONTROL EFFECT. Never completely shut-out all access. It will help make the in-game economy much more valuable and applying.

It will be interesting to see it rollout

Norfolk.

• Like 1

I don't want to see a Naval Action PayToWin's game, but in the history not all the people started the "life game" with the same capabilities. For sure I'm not talking about special cannons, sails, upgrades, woods... But maybe rich people has more chance to buy more than one ship. But in game, should be so expensive if it is deployed. It would break the game if a rich person buy 50 Victory at cost of every one for only 5 euros (for example, but it is easy to spend 250 euros for a rich person) and prepare a fleet in one hour to attack somewhere. So, more or less, for example, an unic simple Victory's ship could cost 20 euros. I can imagine a boy who has been without playing for a long time but want to join a attack/battle and that could be the solution: in reality is a middle P2W but it can finance the developers.

• Like 1

@SirAlatriste

“I don't want to see a Naval Action PayToWin's game, but in the history not all the people started the "life game" with the same capabilities”

Neither do I, and I don’t think it will happen either. In this thread I try to say always offer 2-ways to a “thing”. Prior to the DLC offerings this was only possible via [EDARK] or ALT. Now players not wishing to use ALTs (for whatever reason) can basically use this NA “Legitimate ALT-Lite DLC Package”. Which is what it is...

The behavior of the strategy is NOT questioned in this discussion. Whether you should... is something else indeed. The first DLCs actually offer something useful more than flags and sail colors.

Norfolk.

• Like 1

Can you buy ships with real money in E.V.E? As far as I know PLEX only goes towards membership, cosmetics and skill injectors, not ships.
NA on the other hand has started right off with selling an infinite supply of free ships, not good imo. You shouldn't outsource your content to DLC, the economy is the driving force of the OW. The worse thing you can do is undermine your base game using paid items, that's how playerbases are split.

If the devs are smart after the introduce local economy they'll change the redeemable to a blueprint setup as to not disrupt the balance. The game will very soon rely on people's willingness to venture out and create hubs to station from, for that there needs  to be strong economies. You can't have a strong economy when the only thing being sold is cannons, while most people are redeeming their long list of DLC ships before even considering looking at the market.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

hmm you can turn plex into isk and isk for a ship so yeah there is a direct link in eve to pay with real money for a ship ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bobzillah said:

hmm you can turn plex into isk and isk for a ship so yeah there is a direct link in eve to pay with real money for a ship ;)

But you buy the ship from someone who crafted it always, unless you buy it from a loyalty merchant which also required in game items, so no it's not as direct as you make it to be.

• Like 1

Just now, Slim McSauce said:

But you buy the ship from someone who crafted it always, unless you buy it from a loyalty merchant which also required in game items, so no it's not as direct as you make it to be.

you sell plex in jita for isk then buy ship in jita for isk and bam ? how much more direct does it need to be (or sell isk with youre jita alt then send to main and buy ship from alliance either way straight line)

2 minutes ago, Bobzillah said:

and yes i know all ships are player crafted and not injected buy dev team but the ships are so plenty for all sizes

Supply and demand. There's less demand now for crafted ships, now that DLC ships are freely spawnable anywhere. That's a big undercutting to the existing player economy, a suicidal move in the long run if you ask me, as it will only get worse as the list of DLC ships gets longer.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 3

Here’s the issue...

Monthly subscription game. You can buy with [USD] packages out to whatever period and rolling USD20 average. Also, 500x [PLEX] units can be used for 30 days play extension. In effect you could play for free if you could earn enough [ISK] in a month to buy 500x [PLEX] in game.

[EvE] you cannot BUY in game currency [ISK] for real money [USD].

[PLEX] can be bought with real money or [ISK]

https://secure.eveonline.com/PLEX/

https://evemarketer.com/types/44992/sell

As a PC you can go BUY [PLEX] with [USD] then sell that [PLEX] below receiving [ISK]

https://evemarketer.com/types/44992/buy

With that [ISK] you buy ships and STUFF instead of Grinding it, crafting it etc...

Play to win in effect....

The [PLEX] conduit is a system to avoid Real Money Trading [RMT].

2 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

Supply and demand. There's less demand now for crafted ships, now that DLC ships are freely spawnable anywhere. That's a big undercutting to the existing player economy, a suicidal move in the long run if you ask me.

correct to a point as SKILL is needed to use said products bgt effectively. It does balance out and its lasted a long time...

N.

even knowing RMT aint alloud it stil happens and a few have been banned for it when found out :P so yeah they try to avoid it even knowing they failed at it just like selling a high level skill ch for real money its just do it outside the forums or be banned ;)

and slim mcsauce yes in na i believe these overpowered ship are ruining the game short and long time.
i can remember post from 2years ago where people just asked put paints as microtransaction but no a good and fair way of making money was to clean ;)
they could have done this stuff all so much better if they listened to those idea`s but you know i dont do drugs so i cannot understand.

• Like 1

but skill in eve can be bought with real money like a Character or simpel skill injectors for isk and just pump it up ;) it wil cost alot but it stil can be done :P

• Like 1

The main difference between what E.V.E does with PLEX and what NA does with DLC ships, the point I'm trying to highlight, is that in E.V.E even if you transfer your PLEX to ISK and buy ships that way, you're still paying into the player economy. You aren't bypassing and making it weaker, you're actually feeding heavily into other players wallets, making it stronger, distributing more wealth.

In NA with these DLC ships you're bypassing the player ship market. You are self sufficient therefore you don't demand as many ships. That hurts crafters which in turn hurts the entire economy. Can you see how this is not a congruent path? If I rely on people buying my ships to fund myself, and everyone is using their DLC ships instead, what does that mean for the crafter? His job gets slowly taken from him, and the economy shrinks.

I don't want this, especially with the so called realistic economy changes coming up which is really suppose the remedy all the problems a universal wallet has caused.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 2

Again, YES both point completely agree on. The [PLEX][RMT] system is to mitigate NOT eradicate real money trading.

The second Point BUYING a PC with pre-trained skill sets with real money does happen. The Use is primary a second ALT to dual box for what ever he needs. A Noob won’t benefit at first from this capsular...

However, imagine a P2W Norfolk nNoob goes and BUYs Norfolk nChance off the shelf all skills and access open. It won’t make him any better a fighter or efficient crafter. He needs to know how to play the game. Another player however would benefit...

These loopholes do need closing. [PLEX] helps with this but not completely...

@Slim McSauce point is a good one and needs thought...

• Like 1

X47L-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWfiVAi9cKs

Just rounding off the OP, [EvE] on 1st August 2018 had its largest battle to date. 10 Trillion ISK was destroyed, remember USD1 = ISK72,000,000. The largest ships Titan’s using just [PLEX] would cost USD1-2,000 each. Fifty were lost in the battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HIA6iQRVEM

Above is some out of game reporting of numbers etc. This is the problem with Pay 2 Win gets out of control. I never spent USD1,000 for my Titans I built but it does take such a long time build them. Four to five months each if I’ve planned it well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK_zXb1Ft3Q

This above is two minutes of battle footage. What actually happens in real life [EvE] uses something call Time Dilation to allow 4,500 players on the server at once in the same battle. It basically slows the game down to a snail’s pace.

Below is how it plays out in real time. The Battle took 10 hours to complete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzxd-usydqk&t=78s

NA-OW Battle mechanic is far better and more enjoyable to play. Taking part in the large [EvE] fights turns into a huge grind. I’m glad I’ve seen it, done it and moved on, but the figures are staggering...

NnC.