Game-Labs Forum

VICTORY AT STONES RIVER (CSA)

contact

Feeling very smug at the moment. Having inflicted another defeat on the USA.

My army is small. But it appears to more than hold it’s own against the invaders.

Having beaten them in a small encounter at Everettsville. Could have been costly but I decided to use my Corps and attack the enemies right flank. I was pleased to have only suffered 2417 casualties.

For Stones. I decided I would not contest the opening goals set out. I kept my Corps back in the trees. Trying to avoid a fight. My army is small and as usual not losing over 50% casualties is constantly on my mind. I thought I had avoided any serious confrontation. But my Corps Were still being reduced in size.

To my surprise I was informed we would be given Christmas off ! The bonus  being would go back to barracks.

I took my time in camp and decided to have my 2nd Corps and 3 Corps attack the Nashville pikes.

All the troops that had suffered were placed in my 1st Corps. Aprox 1500 troops.They would look after my right flank.

2nd Corps would attack the nearest East pike. 3rd Corps would tackle the West.

The 2nd Corps were placed in position ready for the attack but I them waited 55D2974B-13EE-4DC7-9289-D4B9E32B5456.thumb.jpeg.72843de815ef3ceff591ca20eae5597a.jpegfor 3rd Corps to get in position. I was confident I could take the East but unsure about the West.

3rd Corps flank was only protected by a Brigade of cavalry and 2 brigades of skirmishes. Their job to hold at all cost !

The attack’s started. I closed on East pike. Fired a few volleys and charged. A few brigades routed but the rest forced the way in.

At the same time 3rd Corps assaulted the West (hoping my skirmishes would protect their left flank). I was going to fire a few volleys then charge as doing at the East. But to my surprise the Union troops routed ! My Corps flooded in and took the position. Now waiting for the counter attack from the Union. But it did not come. They had decided to counterattack the East pike which 2nd Corps had taken with the bayonet. Some brigades routed but others were returning. 

My skirmishers were holding their own and protecting 3rd Corps left flank. I started to move them down to relive the pressure on 2nd Corps.

Time was running out. My casualties did not seem too bad. Where was the Union strength! My rag tale 1st Corps never saw a Union soldier ! I’m sure they were there. But did not see them.

The time was up. I held both Pikes. But what about my casualties. I finished the battle. Up came the sign VICTORY. I had managed to not lose over 50%. In fact the Union troops had suffered badly when trying to counter attack to take back East pike.

Onwards and upwards 🤞

0F791486-9F71-41F6-8B2A-EA5595B57175.jpeg

Edited by contact
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Mukremin said:

What difficulty are you on? Can you give us the details of the battle? How many men against how many? How many kills on both sides? You can get it from the campaign, career menu.

Hi,

Brigadier General (middle level).

Union 29784                    CSA 21441                               Losses.      Union 14892               CSA 10675

Cav 2826                          Cav 300                                                         Cav 1523                    Cav 89

Guns 89                            Guns 44                                                         Guns 44                      Guns 7

My army is small. But it appears to more than hold it’s own against the invaders.

Having beaten them in a small encounter at Everettsville. Could have been  costly but I decided to use my Corps and attack the enemies right flank. I was pleased to have only suffered 2417 casualties in securing victory.

For Stones. I decided not to contest the opening goals set out. I kept my Corps back in the trees. Trying to avoid a fight. My army is small and as usual not losing over 50% casualties is constantly on my mind. Trying to conserve them to attack the Pikes. I thought I had done well to avoid any serious confrontation. But my Corps were still being reduced in size.

To my surprise I was informed we would be given Christmas off ! The bonus being would go back to barracks.

I took my time in camp and decided to have my 2nd and 3rd Corps attack the Nashville pikes.

All the troops that had suffered were placed in my 1st Corps. Aprox 1500 troops. They would look after my right flank. But kept well back.

2nd Corps would attack the nearest East pike. 3rd Corps would tackle the West.

2nd Corps we’re placed in position ready for the attack but I then waited for 3rd Corps to get in position. I was confident I could take the East but unsure about the West.

3rd Corps left flank was only protected by cavalry and 2 units of skirmishers. Their job to hold at all cost !

The attack’s started. I closed on East pike. Fired a few volleys and charged. A few brigades routed but the rest forced the way in.

At the same time 3rd Corps assaulted the West (hoping my skirmishers would protect their left flank). I was going to fire a few volleys then charge as doing at the East. But to my surprise the Union troops routed ! My Troops flooded in and took the position. Now waiting for the Union counter attack. But it did not come. They had decided to counter attack the East pike which 2nd Corps had taken with the bayonet. Some routed but others were returning.

My skirmishers were holding their own and protecting 3rd Corps left flank. I started to move some brigades down to relive the pressure on 2nd Corps.

Time was running out. My casualties did not seem too bad. Where was the Union strength ! My rag tale 1st Corps never saw a Union soldier. I’m sure they were there. But did not see them.

The time was up. I held both pikes. But what about my casualties. I finished the battle. Up came the sign VICTORY. I had managed not to lose over 50%. In fact the Union troops had suffered badly when trying to retake East pike.

Onwards  and upwards 🤞

• Like 1

Well done!

Don't worry about the size of your army so much. Worry about the size of their army. You have to keep beating them with a stick to keep their numbers down or eventually they will just overwhelm you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LAVA said:

Well done!

Don't worry about the size of your army so much. Worry about the size of their army. You have to keep beating them with a stick to keep their numbers down or eventually they will just overwhelm you.

Thank you.

Will do my best.

My lack of knowledge in Barracks when I first started a campaign is now starting to hurt 🤕.

If I knew then what I now know 😐. But I just jumped in !

I’m sure I will have to start again soon. But just seeing how far I can get.

But next campaign I will hopefully do much better with the lessons now learned. Plus those still learning.

Cheers 👍

Given the strength of the 2 armies at Stone's River, I think you are still competitive.

Keep at it and don't stop until you can't go any further. You learn very quickly that way.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, contact said:

Thank you.

Will do my best.

My lack of knowledge in Barracks when I first started a campaign is now starting to hurt 🤕.

If I knew then what I now know 😐. But I just jumped in !

I’m sure I will have to start again soon. But just seeing how far I can get.

But next campaign I will hopefully do much better with the lessons now learned. Plus those still learning.

Cheers 👍

Lava is right, just go on and finish the campaign. I finished the campaign on all levels for both Union and CSA except Legendary. It is a step by step process with a learning curve.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 2:34 PM, LAVA said:

Well done!

Hi,

I now understand the above. Thanks 👍.

Went through a “sharp learning curve” in my first campaign when in Barrack’s. I’m seeing icons and understanding what they mean now ! That helps an awful lot.

Now I seem to being  doing something right (so far). 

I have reached and just passed Gaines’ Mill. 

I am able to field Brigades of 1500-2000. Makes all the difference. No concern as the top right of the screen depicts the number of Union troops available, along with their % of training and weapons.

I have been “beating them with a stick” every battle. I’m taking prisoners which gives me extra recruits. But I’m also seeing how it keeps the Union army size down. In fact sometimes it’s going down after a battle !

This is so different from my first campaign.

I know I have to stay on my toes.

Still a long way to go. But at the moment loving the amount of Brigades I’m able to field.

This UG ACW is awesome. Ok feels  good when doing well. But still enjoyed my first campaign which was totally different and I did not quite do as well.

Onwards and upwards. 🤞

Edited by contact
Error