Game-Labs Forum

There was never a "easier mode" in the OW than the "escape to port" after battle.

Those were the fat times. Total impunity... Raiding left and right and center...

Glad it is no longer that way. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Capn Rocko said:

Shooting sails at a distance for extended lengths of time just to keep players in battle should be a punishable offense. Period. 

Turn and fight...or stay home.   If you attack players in their home waters, you should expect to get mobbed.

3 minutes ago, Oberon74 said:

Turn and fight...or stay home.   If you attack players in their home waters, you should expect to get mobbed.

Care to elaborate how the player in the slower ship is supposed to turn and fight, when being kited by faster ships?
If the attacker is significantly faster, more than one retag is unlikely to happen and the battle won't last long. If the speed is close between both the Counterfleet, Revengefleet or Gankfleet, whatever you want to call it, should be able to close in and get the kill. If they can't manage that, why keep kiting? It's no fun for all parties concerned.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom Farseer said:

Care to elaborate how the player in the slower ship is supposed to turn and fight, when being kited by faster ships?
If the attacker is significantly faster, more than one retag is unlikely to happen and the battle won't last long. If the speed is close between both the Counterfleet, Revengefleet or Gankfleet, whatever you want to call it, should be able to close in and get the kill. If they can't manage that, why keep kiting? It's no fun for all parties concerned.

Its not a slower ship.  This thread is about fast ships raiding and then being harassed as they try to escape.  The chase ships keep them in battle by firing ball and hitting sails...long and boring.  If they get out of that battle instance, there are others waiting to re-tag them.  A long chase in a battle instance is quite realistic IMO, but the whole re-tagging thing should be fixed.  I agree with previous posts that longer invisibility (and yes, fix the dam turn rate) is a good answer.  Defence fleets should still have a chance to kill a Raider (he deserves to die!), but it shouldn't be this tedious. 

1 hour ago, Capn Rocko said:

Shooting sails at a distance for extended lengths of time just to keep players in battle should be a punishable offense. Period. 

Wrong

In several cases this is a useful tool in game. Screeners keeping someone from getting to a PB. Counter gank ship/fleet keeping gankers from preying upon the noob/scrub captains giving them enough time to get clear of the area or gather forces to finally catch and finish the gankers off. Or just making things so uncomfortable for the gankers that they’ll take their show elsewhere! Kind of the reason for a coast guard countergank fleet in my view.

The very idea that we need a game mechanic that aids a “raiders” escape from a situation they they knowingly got themselves into is ludicrous. You chose to take your gold super modded ship into other people’s area to most likely prey upon the weaker captains sailing in basic ships. It’s all fun while your winning but when you get caught and made uncomfortable... all of a sudden there needs to be forum posts and calls for changes to the game to allow you a quick and easy escape??

Wrong.

Punishable offense. What a joke.

• Like 2

Suggestion:

Invisibility and super speed after battle escape which lasts for 30 seconds. The timer doesn’t start until you raise sails or 15 seconds after OW spawn, whichever comes first. Plus after invisibility, you have the regular post battle no join/attack timer. It seems if you can’t eventually escape under those conditions, you’re not destined to escape. 

Edited by Farrago
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Oberon74 said:

I'm talking about when I turn to fight and the player runs away but keeps tagging from a distance, then I give up and turn around, then the player turns around (now chasing me) and continues tagging. This repeats itself for 1.5 hours. I can't fight and I can't leave. I don't mind getting mobbed (in fact I enjoy it) but this is completely different, pure griefing, and should be punishable. 

Go home. 

• Like 1

You reap what you sow. It's fine as it is. I guess I don't get griefed that much since I hunt around Freetowns but you can't hunt around enemy waters without consequences. The roe with ai is still shite in safezones but that's another story. A bit of a solution would be the removal of F11 coordinates since they are BS. 

3 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

You reap what you sow. It's fine as it is. I guess I don't get griefed that much since I hunt around Freetowns but you can't hunt around enemy waters without consequences. The roe with ai is still shite in safezones but that's another story. A bit of a solution would be the removal of F11 coordinates since they are BS. 

Yep. 100%

25 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

^ That's the reason why " gankers " use 15.5 knots ships. Puny Coast Guards still won't catch me, but they will come to cry on forums about Loodsman, sail force or speed mods. Kiting, screening and keeping in battle is not the intended use of game mechanics, no idea why @Hethwill agrees with you. Even Admin said that repeated abuse of that form can be reported and punished. Two sides of the medal, one that wants to raid, other that wants to defend. Both want everything in their favour and both sides are broken and full of game flaws. 

You’ll get caught... and you’ll get got. 

Every dog has its day.

And when you do, please don’t be like the original poster and come on here asking for game changes to give you even greater advantages than all your awesome speed mods provide to you....

I have never had someone hold me in a battle for hours.  For me this issue just isn't a problem.  How often is this happening? Daily? Weekly? Monthly?

The frequency is important because delay/harrassment is an effective tactic in warfare.  It could be used constructively on a strategic level.   I suggest that delaying/harrassing would have to be systematic, chronic and targeted at a specific player, to be addressed as abuse.

21 hours ago, Diceman said:

Nope.

Most often these “raiders” are picking on some unfortunate scrub (like myself) and when the opportunity presents itself for some payback, the “raider” should be allowed to escape for a pittance??? 

Nope.

As long as the counter gank fleet is willing and able to pursue... then by all means pursue. If the “raider” wants out?? Surrender. Problem solved. Fight. Problem solved.

Participated in a counter gank just this last weekend. Took a couple retags but we ran him down and sank him. He was raging in chat at the end too. And it felt good to Help catch and sink him!!! It felt good to read his whining chat posts. It felt good to get payback!!!

You got to remember all those scrubs you’ve been picking on dream about the opportunity to get payback. Why should you be allowed to steal that good feeling from them by using some cheap game mechanic??? 

Nope.

Very well said and is the sentiment of many players. If you are going to farm PvP marks by jumping into people’s battles or simply picking on smaller ships, you should be aware that there is a price to be paid when you are caught. If that price is your valuable time then so be it. You always have the option to turn and fight to your death or to surrender.