Game-Labs Forum

I've owned Naval Action for the best part of two years, and I still don't know what bonus(es) Marines actually provide in the boarding mini-game.

- Morale?

- Muskets and Pistols damage bonus?

- Defense damage limitation bonus?

- Anything else?

Advices would be welcome.

Cheers.

Edited by Ortac
Spelling mistake

Devs are telling us they are in the process of making changes to all the mods. So i guess just exercise a little patience and we will all find out soon enough. 

Marines are like super sailors. Only used in boarding. They have very high attack and defense stats. The more you have, the bigger the impact they have on your boarding.

Basically 1 marine is equal to like 3 regular men in boarding.

• Like 1

@Ortac

Look at the Marines tab and see what it says? I try to dig out the old numbers later. The system might have changed now but the old API showed this...

Marines (1-3 rates) | Price: 50 Combat Mark

NONE | MARINES_PERCENTAGE | 0.1

NONE | MARINES_LEVEL | 1

NONE | MARINES_MELEE_MODIFIER | 1

NONE | MARINES_FIREPOWER_MODIFIER | 0.1

Marines (4-5 rates) | Price: 30 Combat Mark

NONE | MARINES_PERCENTAGE | 0.2

NONE | MARINES_LEVEL | 1

Marines (6-7 rates) | Price: 15 Combat Mark

NONE | MARINES_PERCENTAGE | 0.3

NONE | MARINES_LEVEL | 1

The Percentage figure is the amount of BASE crew the Marines will absorb. This is taken from your crew size. Second ship build “CREW” or Hammocks help to reduce this percentage number. AI ships usually have CREW second build (have medium cannons) and carry twice the amount a PC can in the same ship. All to compensate...

The Melee Modifier adds to the Melee figure which is used in Attack/Defend. Firepower is added to the Musket Volley and Attack numbers also. It doesn’t add to the FIRE DECK Cannons multiplier.

The morale is not mentioned in the code. AI ships tend to have a boost to their morale no matter what state. And no Preparation modifier is shown either. This may have change recently.

Other Captains am sure will know more than me but Barricades or Boarding Axes seem to add better value than Marines. I always focused on getting their crew down well below mine before boarding. Marines take up too much crew for certain situations...

Norfolk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norfolk nChance said:

@Ortac

Look at the Marines tab and see what it says? I try to dig out the old numbers later. The system might have changed now but the old API showed this...

Marines (1-3 rates) | Price: 50 Combat Mark

NONE | MARINES_PERCENTAGE | 0.1

NONE | MARINES_LEVEL | 1

Marines (4-5 rates) | Price: 30 Combat Mark

NONE | MARINES_PERCENTAGE | 0.2

NONE | MARINES_LEVEL | 1

Marines (6-7 rates) | Price: 15 Combat Mark

NONE | MARINES_PERCENTAGE | 0.3

NONE | MARINES_LEVEL | 1

The Percentage figure is the amount of BASE crew the Marines will absorb. This is taken from your crew size. Second ship build “CREW” or Hammocks help to reduce this percentage number. AI ships usually have CREW second build (have medium cannons) and carry twice the amount a PC can in the same ship. All to compensate...

The Melee Modifier adds to the Melee figure which is used in Attack/Defend. Firepower is added to the Musket Volley and Attack numbers also. It doesn’t add to the FIRE DECK Cannons multiplier.

The morale is not mentioned in the code. AI ships tend to have a boost to their morale no matter what state. And no Preparation modifier is shown either. This may have change recently.

Other Captains am sure will know more than me but Barricades or Boarding Axes seem to add better value than Marines. I always focused on getting their crew down well below mine before boarding. Marines take up too much crew for certain situations...

Norfolk

Marines are deadly on the offensive. No other mod can match them for me at least. Endy and trinco are ships I avoid them on otherwise must have. Well since DD is dead so are boarding mods. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 10:37 AM, RedNeckMilkMan said:

Marines are like super sailors. Only used in boarding. They have very high attack and defense stats. The more you have, the bigger the impact they have on your boarding.

Basically 1 marine is equal to like 3 regular men in boarding.

As it is in real life!!

Ooh rah!!!

Semper Fi!!!!